• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking for a new brushless *Suggestions*

tolska

Hello all,

I have 2 nitro cars but I was looking to get a brushless racing car,

My local race track is at Crystal Palace (London Race Club) which all the guys there use brushless cars at the moment which there is a odd couple who use 1/10 nitros.

I also found out today I need to buy car insurance for my RC if I want to use the track? Like what? Really?

After doing some research I see most people prefer using the brushless motors instead of nitro, I'm not to sure why this is because surely the whole point of having an RC is for the sound effects from the engines ect which brushless don't seem to produce to much.

I guess another reason would be to save you having to tune it in depending on the weather condition, it also cancels out all engine issues if you ever have any,

So the main reason I made this thread was to see what other members would recommend for a first brushless car,

The second reason is to see what everyone actually thinks about the two different types of cars,

You might of been a Nitro fan but brought a brushless, which now you'll never go back to Nitros?

Nitro or Brushless?

Whats a good first brushless car?

My budget is anywhere between

Edited by tolska

Have you spent anytime looking through the Touring section of the forum? I am sure that will be a good starting point to see what other members buy and run.

As for insurance, you will require BRCA membership, which allows you to race with relevant 'insurance cover'. This can be purchased direct from BRCA, or may be available via the club itself.

In terms of tunability and performance, brushless surpasses I/C every time, cleaner, more powerful....a no brainer, IMHO. I prefer the sound of a whirring motor to the tedious, ear splitting shriek of a nitro every time, they sound no more like a proper engine than a bl can ;)

• Like 1

Have you spent anytime looking through the Touring section of the forum? I am sure that will be a good starting point to see what other members buy and run.

As for insurance, you will require BRCA membership, which allows you to race with relevant 'insurance cover'. This can be purchased direct from BRCA, or may be available via the club itself.

In terms of tunability and performance, brushless surpasses I/C every time, cleaner, more powerful....a no brainer, IMHO. I prefer the sound of a whirring motor to the tedious, ear splitting shriek of a nitro every time, they sound no more like a proper engine than a bl can ;)

I've not had a look at the forum no but I will certainly do that today,

May I ask why insurance from BRCA is needed? I thought the tracks would of had liability insurance already or something similar,

Yes I am the same, I love the sounds of Nitro engines they are amazing, but I did not want to look silly taking Nitro down to the track and roaring the hell out of the place just to get funny/dirty looks by other users on the track as 90% of them use brushless.

Edited by tolska

Hpi sprint 2 flux is the best on road ive had they are fast and have a decent ammount of upgrades around.

but the average roads will chew them up in no time at all. I had one with acouple of scuffs underneath, i took it out for one full charge and when i came in it looked like i drove it over a constant cheese grater.

The plastic chassis is quite soft but any onroad plastic chassis will suffer that too. Ther is an alloy chassis upgrade if you can find it. Its very nice anodized orange and only cost

Edited by RCbutcher

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121454301279?nav=SEARCH

check them out on google and youtube they rip. the motor is great the esc im not so sure but if its a motiv not so good. Its one on-road i would go with but i think ide rather convert a sct when i next build a bl. 

I was thinking of joining the club, They seem to be extreme drivers though, some of the cars look like they are going to fast to even control especially one of them going round corners at like 50 to 70mph...

Here is a video of regulars at the club closest to me, 

The red car seems to be nice shifty little car, but on another video, He clips the lines and flips it several times...wonder how much that cost him... you can see someone using a helicopter transmitter...

I was looking at the Kyosho cars they seem to be good and not bad looking.

Edited by tolska

you need brca,just in case your car,hits some one,if it going 45mph,then even 2kg of plastic hurts,you can go to the club 3 times before insurance is complusery.as above if you want to go racing go down the club you want to race,get the advice from people that use that track,you may also find a good deal track side,no paypal or postage involved,

• Like 1

you need brca,just in case your car,hits some one,if it going 45mph,then even 2kg of plastic hurts.

Ok that does make a good point to have it, Does the insurance only count when your on clubs property?, Does it include Public places like the park or pathways/streets?

For example I'm doing 45mph down the road outside my house and someone walks out into it and gets hurt?

Edited by tolska

it might cover parks,it for 3rd partys rather the driver{except when the driver is marshaling a race} http://www.brca.org/             there there web site with all the registered clubs in the uk.I see it as something you have to have to race.and over the years i been hit by a few 1/8th and the odd 1/10th

theres a few of us as in 5 to 50  that go to purley way. on sundays if your just looking to bash with some like minded people .we run mostly 1/5. but there are some 1/8 monsters and 10/sc    all are welcome  were normally there after 12 on sundays .. if you have Facebook  .have a look at .... Surrey RC Bashers/Racers .... we also go to a few tracks but not local 50+ miles ..  

theres a few of us as in 5 to 50  that go to purley way. on sundays if your just looking to bash with some like minded people .we run mostly 1/5. but there are some 1/8 monsters and 10/sc    all are welcome  were normally there after 12 on sundays .. if you have Facebook  .have a look at .... Surrey RC Bashers/Racers .... we also go to a few tracks but not local 50+ miles ..  

Just joined the group, waiting to be accepted, Where abouts in purley way do you meet?

we meet mostly on the side were thy play football . as your going up . away from London its the last car park on the left .. but we some times go to the old air port side ..

Edited by jea

As I understand it the Crystal Palace track had kinda fallen into disuse and the current club is in the process of restarting proper racing there. As such they haven't really got defined classes, but its going to be mostly 1/10th touring cars or 1/8 onroad nitro. The 1/10ths could be electric or nitro but electric is a lot more popular. That means you'll want one of those and the electric TC is the obvious choice.