• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Battery upgrade for the Ftx 1/10 Carnage 4WD RTR Brushless

RC755

I am just about to buy a Ftx 1/10 Carnage 4WD RTR Brushless, and have read a number of reviews that the standard battery that comes with it is not up to much. 

?So can anyone recommend a battery upgrade that will be ok and not burn out my motor.  

A motor won't get burnt out by having a powerful battery attached to it; the motor draws the current it requires from the battery, via the ESC. It is possible to fit a battery which isn't delivering enough current, which will show by the battery swelling.

If you want a good lipo, check out Hobbyking's UK warehouse. Avoid nanotech packs, as they are proving to be unreliable in the long term.

Ideally, 5000mah, with a minimum of 30c constant discharge. Using basic maths, so, 5(000) x 30 c = 150a constant.

A 6000mah 40c = 6(000)x 40c = 240amps

Ad infinitum.....

Hobbyking show the sizes of their packs, so no excuse for buying one which is too big for your tray.

HTH

• Like 1

The 's' equates to the number of cells in a pack, 2s, 3s etc. A 2s pack has a nominal voltage of 7.4v, a 3s 11.1v....so addition of cells makes for more oomph!

If your ESC is 3s capable, all good. The rule of thumb is volt up, gear down, as the 3s is providing bigger voltages than the 2s, ergo will run better on lower gearing (voltage also has an effect on motor RPM too....so keeping the same gearing for 2s and 3s could see the motor spinning faster on 3s, causing damage)

Appreciate that there is much info to get straight in the mind, it will become second nature eventually...honest ;)

I am in process of upgrading my carnage to a brushless and was advised to buy turnigy 5000mah 2s roar approved.

I have read some say if you go to 3s you will go through the pinion and spur gear. I don't k ow what the stock charger is like with the brushless version as you say it cokes standard with a lipo but know the brushed version charger is pants trickle charges at 300mah. I haven't tried but have being advised to buy the overlander rc-6.

Noj has being very helpful with myself aswell. :-)

The roar approved packs tend to be smaller in size, so should drop into your battery tray with ease.

Currently, the overlander is the charger of choice, good vfm and good charge times.

Fitting an RW racing hardened steel pinny is the way forward. Providing you have meshed correctly, and avoid on throttle landings, then the spur shouldn't strip, well, not frequently ;)

The roar approved packs tend to be smaller in size, so should drop into your battery tray with ease.Currently, the overlander is the charger of choice, good vfm and good charge times.Fitting an RW racing hardened steel pinny is the way forward. Providing you have meshed correctly, and avoid on throttle landings, then the spur shouldn't strip, well, not frequently ;)

Where can we get the hardened steel pinny from i wouldn't mind one of these also noticed the carnage comes with a plastic spur gear whixh sucks. I have spoke to cml and they say they don't make a metal one.

Modelsport carry the full range of RW pinnys, just ensure you pick the same pitch as the stocker.

Not aware of metal spurs, however I don't own an FTX... I guess the best advice I can give is buy some spares, check that mesh, and avoid on throttle landings...

Modelsport carry the full range of RW pinnys, just ensure you pick the same pitch as the stocker.Not aware of metal spurs, however I don't own an FTX... I guess the best advice I can give is buy some spares, check that mesh, and avoid on throttle landings...

Cheers for replying but there are some rc terms I don't understand *embarrassing*

What are RW pinnys and when you say same pitch is that the same amount of teeth?

And what is the mesh ok the spur?

And are throttle landings doing a jump and throttling whilst in air?

Cheers for replying but there are some rc terms I don't understand *embarrassing*

What are RW pinnys and when you say same pitch is that the same amount of teeth?

And what is the mesh ok the spur?

And are throttle landings doing a jump and throttling whilst in air?

RW pinny's are pinion gears made by RW Racing and are the best for the job. The pitch is the size of the teeth, not the number. For the Carnage the pitch is 0.6 mod. Which will just say 0.6 on the Modelsport site.

Meshing the spur gear and pinion is just getting the two gears to turn each other without eating out the teeth on either. The common method is to run a small piece of paper between the gears and if it tears they are too close (the mesh is too tight).

Throttle landings means having the throttle pressed when the car lands. Squeezing the throttle while the car is in the air is fine.

Edited by graxon2001
  • Like 1

Thankyou very much for this I will be ordering me self one of these :-)

• 5 years later...

These are about as good as you can get for the Carnage. I see 1 hour run times on my brushless Carnage, they fit perfectly and are cheap-ish. You will need to look into soldering and getting the right connections though. Just shout if you need help with that. Hobbyking also have a 10% sale for new people signing up.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-6000mah-2s2p-35c-hardcase-pack.html

You will need a decent charger though and would thoroughly recommend this. It's a little more tha n a few others but the quality and features and excellent and gives you flexibility if you want to upgrade later down the line. For lipo chargers you don't really want to scrimp.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=408440&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiZPvBRDZARIsAORkq7dsRgfI1rjJwBrWCeBD4uvohxSX5tJJq54uyMW5rGAon2aQKBcrnHQaAp-4EALw_wcB

Edited by Nickarla

• 4 months later...

I'm new t all this, and though the tread is old the advice is new (to me). Great info, appreciated. Now I'm off to ponder Carnage Brushed to get used to it & then upgrade selectively, or go all in and start at brushless. Safe Covid times all, so much time to research every last detail. 

• 9 months later...

No point in going over 2s as it would just reck the drivetrain.

The higher the mah the longer run times you’ll get. 6000mah is about as large a mah as you can get to fit the tray.

Buy from Hobbyking and make sure you check the dimensions fit first. See above.

Edited by Nickarla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25/02/2021 at 00:08, Brushlessman said:

I would love to run a 3s battery but my car has just had brand new spur gears and pinion and bearings. So the more mah more the run time if I go to high on mah can I cook the ECU or moter I really would like more power as 3s would bring much joy. 😊 👍

What battery did you go for. I've just got a carnage brushless, and took it out for it's first proper spin today. Loved it. The battery later for about 20 minutes so I'd like something bigger. I'm very new to all of this and find a lot going over my head. Though I am trying and will do a lot of reading to learn. Before I took it to a field I managed to break a suspension holder in the garden.  Was good to get the tools out and involved in fixing it. Now I am intrigued by possible upgrades. Maybe a steel suspension holder.