• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Futaba 4pls not as good as i expected

sgevans23

I recently upgraded my stock traxxas tqi controller to the Futaba 4pls. I put a lot of research and spent time debating whether or not to get the spektrum 4dxr. I wanted to upgrade mainly because i could bind more than one model to a controller and to set end limits on my servo also to control a gyro.

I chose the Futaba, because it had better reviews than the spektrum.I already own a Spektrum DX8 and i love it. its easy to use, very solid and never given any problems, it feels like proper quality when i use it. this what tempted me to get the spektrum controller as a surface radio and i am still not sure if i made the right choice getting the Futaba.

Dont get me wont the Futaba is great although i think they have over complicated it and added more functions than i will ever use. 

I dont like the Futaba 4pls because:

The telemetry sensors are stupidly expensive (although i did know this before i bought it)

My biggest gripe is that the radio feels very plastic not as solid as my spektrum dx8. The overall build quality of the 4pls just feels cheap and not like the

Trouble is spectrum spent too much money on build quality than on the electrical side of things (the most important bits) that's why the range isn't very good and a few people have lost models, I have the dx3s and hardly used it the good thing about it is that it's so easy to set it up, I just don't trust it on my mcd and rc boat both have cost thousands so I bought the 4pls which has a very good range, don't think just because it feels cheap that it is because they all do, I'd rather have a futaba than a spektrum any day, I would hate to be out of pocket on my models because of a spektrum and don't forget how much your models have cost compared to the radio.

• Like 1

Trouble is spectrum spent too much money on build quality than on the electrical side of things (the most important bits) that's why the range isn't very good and a few people have lost models, I have the dx3s and hardly used it the good thing about it is that it's so easy to set it up, I just don't trust it on my mcd and rc boat both have cost thousands so I bought the 4pls which has a very good range, don't think just because it feels cheap that it is because they all do, I'd rather have a futaba than a spektrum any day, I would hate to be out of pocket on my models because of a spektrum and don't forget how much your models have cost compared to the radio.

yours should be fine ................... on the "shelf" :tease:

toddfg

Thanks for your comment, it reaffirms my reasons for buying the Futaba. i just think for a few more quid Futaba could have built a more solid design, maybe a little rubber around the grip and a little more eye candy, ie a bit of silver. I will probably learn to like it more, first impressions didnt impress, it felt and looked like i bought some fake import.

All that a side, as you say not to forget how much the models cost and better have a radio you can trust than a radio which looks good on a shelf

I've still got a futaba 3gr 40mhz the quality isn't the best but still better than most radios out now and would trust it more than my spektrum, the 4pls is the best radio for the money, saviown also has one after having troubles with his spektrum, even though I have had no issues with mine id rather not risk it and just use the 4pls

very expensive ornament then ,bring it round I will sort it

Waiting for new gears then it will get tested properly ;)

• Like 1