• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

a start for racing?

I am looking for a cheapish 1/8 buggy/truggy (nitro) with a view to beginning racing at one of the clubs near Preston - what sort of beginning point should I look at? I was in Wireless Madness the other day and they suggested the inferno neo because it can be upgraded as I go along, does this seem reasonable? Any other suggestions? Is new the way to go as then there are no hidden probs?

It doesn't have to be all singing and dancing as if I get on and enjoy racing I can get a racing buggy and my lad can have this one!

Wonder how many times this gets asked :shockingscary:

You have quite a few options really:

1) The hyper 7 is still a fantastic entry level buggy that can be upgraded to your hearts content with CNC bits and pieces, and will provide a solid platform to get yourself into 8th scale buggies. It has a strong .21 engine, some good entry level servos that shouldn't break on your first outing, and a very high standard of build quality. The hyper has been around for years and years which should go some of the way to proving it's reliability. Spares are also readily available as you will invetiably crash, roll and hit various objects.

2) HPI Trophy Buggy - As above, you get a solid platform to start out in the hobby, with great HPI warranty and customer service as well as parts back up support. I would say that this buggy has become increasingly popular due to its sharp looks, and comes in at an aggressive price point that is similar to that of the hyper buggy mentioned above.

3) Second hand race buggy set up - If you go down to your local track (PRCC,NNRC), you will be able to see what cars people are running, and you may find that one of them may be selling a complete second hand car that may be a bit more competitive than that of an RTR buggy. You will undoubtedly get more for your money, but may find you need to replace a couple of items due to general wear and tear. I'm sure you will get tons of advice trackside, and everybody is there to help and welcome new people to the hobby.

Which ever route you decide to go, you will also need a few other items which can be picked up for a relatively cheap price. These include (but are not limited to):

-Glow starter and charger (To provide the spark to the glow plug in order to start the engine)

-Fuel bottle (To be able to fill the tank cleanly and effectively)

-Nitro fuel (20 or 25% recommended depending on which engine you are running)

-Transmitter batteries (Cost effective to buy rechargeables)

-After run oil (Few drops in the engine after use will keep the engine lubricated and in good running order)

I hope this goes some way to giving you a little more insight - If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!!

Brad

• Like 2