• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Oh Dear.................

Ian w

The Temptation.

Looking round for a bit of a winter (or rainy day) project and I come across the HPI Baja 5B SS kit. (yeah o/k Feedtheinferno I know I said I don`t like the shape of the Baja but this one I do). Anyone had one of these kits are they any good.    Thanks

I have never had a SS kit but the amount of 5B's I have completely stripped and rebuilt I think I have a good bearing on how they are like to build. The answer to that is good fun. As long as you follow the manual which is very easy to follow and you are generally happy with simple tools which I know you are, you won't go wrong.

The only downside is the cost. My opinion would be buy a fully built KM and strip it down to nothing. Download the SS manual and then re-build the KM. That way you have spent a hell of a lot less, you have checked the KM all over and had the fun of building it from scratch. 

• Like 3

Ian,

I built one of these about two years ago and still have it. Its very nice kit to build, with no problems that I can recall, I had great fun doing it and would thoroughly recommend it as a project.

There used to be a series of videos on the 'net discribing the whole process, and I found these helpfull but not necessary, particulalry in the area of building the axles. If you can't find them on the 'net, I think I should have them somewhere (but it might take me a little while to find them in amongst my >5 tB of data storage!). 

Harvey 

Edited by HarveyC

I have never had a SS kit but the amount of 5B's I have completely stripped and rebuilt I think I have a good bearing on how they are like to build. The answer to that is good fun. As long as you follow the manual which is very easy to follow and you are generally happy with simple tools which I know you are, you won't go wrong.

The only downside is the cost. My opinion would be buy a fully built KM and strip it down to nothing. Download the SS manual and then re-build the KM. That way you have spent a hell of a lot less, you have checked the KM all over and had the fun of building it from scratch. 

Yeah I know what you are saying, but for me, the motivation to strip it down would not be there but to get a box of bits the motivation to build would be great.

A  box full of nice clean bits, with all of the tools, the oils/greases, nicely organised in indicvidual packs with a good manual .... Ummmm

H

Got to get a 5b kit, brilliant fun and you can hop it up from the inital build if you ask a few questions on here with clutches, infinite options.

i loved building it, shame others dont come as a kit as the 5ive would be fun to scratch build

Got to get a 5b kit, brilliant fun and you can hop it up from the inital build if you ask a few questions on here with clutches, infinite options.

i loved building it, shame others dont come as a kit as the 5ive would be fun to scratch build

Yeah it is pretty sure I will have one but, as you have seen the pictures, I have to sell some nitros to make room :yes:  

Extreme - bigger house.

Practical - just get a bigger shed!!

Sorted.

You know you want it ....

Not helping I know!

Al.

No shed all over my house. bigger house? Nah I am happy to be living with my cars :sweeeet:

Just built one of these and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very easy to understand instructions. Here she is....

2iavip1.jpg

Not complete yet but last few jobs are to mount the last 3 tyres, the wing and body and a few other niggly bits.....seems a shame to get her dirty!

• Like 1

Built mostly on my lap in the living room ( i do have unfeasibly long legs!) so you dont need that much room!

LOL that`s how I work BUT I have very short legs so it gets a bit awkward sometimes

What colour ar you going to do the body.

Undecided atm! Given how pretty she looks with the orange anodised parts im toying with keeping it clear with some decals. Failing that was thinking some kind of silver and orange scheme in keeping with the stock parts but im open to ideas :D