• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which of these PC builds?

danny boy

Hey guys. Looking to see what people think of these 2 builds and which one I should go for. One is an Intel build, one is an AMD build. Bear in mind the Intel build is REALLY pushing my price limit, so trying to keep my alternative more cost efficient. I have a case, so thats why I have chosen micro atx board. 

EDIT- few things I forgot to say. This computer is mostely for light gaming, nothing too intensive, mainly racing sims, team fortress, WOT etc. I am planning to install an SSD and do a clean install of windows later in the year, and use the hdd as a second hard drive.

So here is the Intel build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hBBNxr at

Edited by danny boy

Intel with 8.1

I have no idea why people moan so much about windows 8.1

It's really good. Install classic shell, set it up as you like (which is very easy) and set it to skip the metro screen. And there you have it, a faster, more stable, more up to date and feature rich version of windows 7

If you're spending that much already I'd throw an SSD in there too. Or at least swap that blue drive for a hybrid drive:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-seagate-st1000lm014-25-solid-state-hybrid-drive-sata-iii-slim-6gbs-8gb-ssd-64mb-cache-pc-mac

Edited by TiM!

Intel with 8.1

I have no idea why people moan so much about windows 8.1

It's really good. Install classic shell, set it up as you like (which is very easy) and set it to skip the metro screen. And there you have it, a faster, more stable, more up to date and feature rich version of windows 7

If you're spending that much already I'd throw an SSD in there too. Or at least swap that blue drive for a hybrid drive:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-seagate-st1000lm014-25-solid-state-hybrid-drive-sata-iii-slim-6gbs-8gb-ssd-64mb-cache-pc-mac

why not just get windows 7 in the first place so you don't have to run a 3rd party software in the back ground.

I do some beta testing for MS & w8.1 is cracking now a days. you can tweak some parts of it to make it feel more like w7 but it is good out of the box.

Intel for me nowadays too as I was a AMD man many years back, but Intel have got a cracking over clocking cpu called the intel Pentium anniversary ed g3258 what you can get to a good 4.30 GHz easy even on air. it was in pc format & I got one for a client of mine & tested it so I know it can oc ok even with a cheapish mobo.

when I get 15 mins I will draw up a few rigs for you, but what are you using the pc for if I may ask ? games, 3d art drawing, music etc etc.

kenny

I do some beta testing for MS & w8.1 is cracking now a days. you can tweak some parts of it to make it feel more like w7 but it is good out of the box.

Intel for me nowadays too as I was a AMD man many years back, but Intel have got a cracking over clocking cpu called the intel Pentium anniversary ed g3258 what you can get to a good 4.30 GHz easy even on air. it was in pc format & I got one for a client of mine & tested it so I know it can oc ok even with a cheapish mobo.

when I get 15 mins I will draw up a few rigs for you, but what are you using the pc for if I may ask ? games, 3d art drawing, music etc etc.

kenny

Light gaming and racing sims. Nothing to hungry, things like Assetto corsa, WOT, TF2. Nothing heavy like Crysis or Dark souls. Maybe the odd bit of Photoshop though, and TV.   

What about swapping the i5 out for one of these? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-pentium-k-anniversary-g3258-s1150-haswell-dual-core-32ghz-oc-up-to-45ghz-5-gt-s-dmi-32x-ratio-

They're supposed to be a decent budget choice for gaming when overclocked (which you'll be able to do with a z87 board). If you want to do more heavily threaded stuff then stick with the i5 but if just gaming and general desktop stuff it should be fine. Will give you a bit more to spend in other areas or reduce the cost of the build a bit.

Because for it to be anywhere near decent he needs to overclock it, which needs a Z97 motherboard and water cooling. Much better off with the Quad core i5 in my book. At least you know how that's going to perform and can be used just fine with a mid or even low range board.

^ your PC is pretty similar spec to what I have just built:

Amd fx8350

coolermaster evo212

asus m5a97 pro

8gb kingston Hyper x ram

XFX TS550W psu - I was recommended this as a budget alternative to the corsair psu's- its not modular but a very nice psu indeed it seems.

sapphire r9 270x toxic edition - really nice card, and damn it looks sexy!

corsair carbide spec 03 case + extra 2 x corsair case fans

Win 7 64bit

I managed to put this together for around