• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MST MS01 RTR+

scratcher

You should definitely try and get up there soon. The next 4WD comp is the 31st. The 30th will be full of RWD cars. It's harder to stay slow enough not to crash into them :)

Ah never really forget, just need to shake off the cobwebs. Got to get back into the korogashi myself but JR (lanky guy who came with me with the red RX7) commended your driving so kudos since he is a very skilled driver. What you did by running infront and behind people like that will help you master korogashi easily. Keep it up!

Oh, that's pretty cool :) he's one of the guys that I watch their line and try to follow. I've only recently been able to keep up with people in a train or twinning. I panic a little when people are following me and make silly mistakes and go off line a bit. But it's all good fun and helps me learn, as you said :)

Cheers dude!

Dont worry too much about leading. All you need to do is keep a good medium pace speed so you can allow cars to train and take wider lines than you do when you twin, that way all cars make the corner no problem. Mistakes happen, everyone makes em but if the experienced people want to get past, they know how to do it. People are not really fussed about being stuck behind someone because no matter which way you look it is a learning curve. Even do what JR does, headphones in, and just zone out. :)

You should definitely try and get up there soon. The next 4WD comp is the 31st. The 30th will be full of RWD cars. It's harder to stay slow enough not to crash into them :)

Oh, that's pretty cool :) he's one of the guys that I watch their line and try to follow. I've only recently been able to keep up with people in a train or twinning. I panic a little when people are following me and make silly mistakes and go off line a bit. But it's all good fun and helps me learn, as you said :)

Cheers dude!

Yer already looked it up ;) I normally go there for the Saturday first to get a good day in on the layout, the rwd guys are getting quicker! And then in the evening it normally gets 4wd heavy in the evening :D

Just got all my shocks rebuilt again and ready for the next soul trip, but I don't think I can hold it off for two weeks so its going to end up on tarmac at some point very soon!

That's true. They're only really slower on the straighter sections now. I had a go on a RWD Wrap Up chassis at the weekend and now I want one, haha.

You could always go up for a Wednesday evening session if you have time. I might go next Wednesday.

I found a nice little video of the Corolla meet at Soul. There's a bit of me learning the track at 1:33 :) a bit washy at times but it was the first few laps on the layout. Haha.

Corolla Brotherhood Meet - 2nd August - Soul RC:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was about time I got some decent tyres to use downstairs in our car park, after hearing big things I went for HPI T-Drifts.

Swapped some tyres around so I have odd MST wheels for car park shredding.

A bowl of water from la kettle.

20140821_171551_zpsyd8crcsw.jpg

And on they popped. No problem at all :)

20140821_171944_zps5a6sagdw.jpg

I need to rebuild my dampers this week too.

T drifts aren't bad, we find then to be too grippy though, we use mst greater angle harder outside! But I've just got a set of t drifts for a Tamiya drift car I'm converting and it works fine!

• 2 months later...

Had a friend over for a little wizz around some cones last night. I hadn't run the car for about a month.

Found out the fan on my ESC was broken.

DSCN0890_zps5db6d5fc.jpg

I tried soldering it but no dice so I've ordered a new one.

This was the set up last night.

DSCN0882_zpsa507b274.jpg

And this is how we ran it.

We both had GTR's on the go too :)

DSCN0879_zpsb925faa9.jpg

DSCN0877_zps0c94d9d7.jpg

We've been running T-Drifts down there but mine keep popping off on the rear for some reason. I'm not sure if they could be a little too grippy for the surface.

DSCN0893_zps649caf1e.jpg

I think I'll try a set of MST tyres. Are the red dots for tarmac?

Edited by scratcher

Me and my friend Matt have a couple of S14 shells we're making as "team shells" just for fun. We're not a cool drift team. Haha.

He was a bit worried about messing up the cutting out stage so I offered to do it for him. I may have decorated it a bit too :D

20141112_211910_zpsncati2xz.jpg

20141112_211904_zps4qscmlch.jpg

I'll update it when they're painted up :)

I've got my shell all ready to mask up and paint now. We decided on purple a few months ago. After waiting ages for the right colour... EVERYONE has done purple, haha. Oh well, a couple more won't hurt :)

I fitted the spoiler on the C35 using double sided tape and I keep knocking it off so I fitted this one properly using the screws.

DSCN0894_zps1030734f.jpg

But again, it looks way too small. I made up some Formula 1 looking sides and wrapped them in satin black.

DSCN0895_zps9c7857d9.jpg

Much better. Trial fitted it, just need to play around with the shell height once it's all painted :)

DSCN0897_zps96978a86.jpg

I've ordered a carbon lower deck and rear diffuser. Just need to wait for them to come into Soul :) 

I headed over to Soul yesterday to have a go in the Soul RC Challenge. It was brilliant. I learned a lot about what I was doing, and what i should be doing. I managed to qualify 15th but went out in the first battle.

teshi got a couple of nice snaps of my car out on the track :)

Screenshot_2014-12-01-06-46-08-1_zpss9vy

While I was there some parts had arrived for me :)

DSCN0914_zpsf9c4e806.jpg

Carbon lower deck to stiffen things up, rear diffuser for some weight and down force out back, and some short aluminum servo mounts because... well, they looked pretty.

DSCN0917_zps81e8e3b4.jpg

This is the last look at the plastic lower deck. We've had some fun times.

DSCN0921_zps9d80434d.jpg

DSCN0919_zps4503181c.jpg

At this point I got a little worried.

DSCN0922_zps53d1d04e.jpg

I took both decks away for some super scientific experiments.

I weighed the plastic deck at 82 grams.

DSCN0924_zpsae9184e7.jpg

And the carbon one at 53 grams so saving a little sprung weight.

DSCN0925_zps6e929de9.jpg

Next up the flex test. the bottle used is 500ml, just over 500 grams.

Flexi plastic.

DSCN0927_zps84a0ce90.jpg

While the carbon stayed rigid.

DSCN0926_zpsbef91e27.jpg

So what does all this equate to?

I have no idea :topbanana: but it looks pretty cool!

DSCN0929_zpseebc8c4e.jpg

I'll report back on the difference it's made to the feel of the car after I get a chance to run it on track again. I put the battery holder in the further back position which I'm hoping will help me to get some more dynamic direction changes.

DSCN0940_zpsbfc62c05.jpg

DSCN0935_zps756431bf.jpg

DSCN0937_zps0c050cdb.jpg

:thumbsup:

Edited by scratcher

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to try the new bits out today. The carbon deck has stiffened the while chassis up so much. There's a lot of settings to play around with now but it was great.

I ran the new shell too. It's very nicely balanced :)

2014-12-22%2023.02.46_zpsy26vouwk.jpg

20141222_145538_zpslubn8lkx.jpg

The diffuser sits perfectly in the rear bumper :)

20141222_145506_zpszklkkuwj.jpg

There's a comp at Soul this Sunday. Depending how wild the party gets the night before will tell if I enter or not. Haha!

That looks great!

Love a bit of carbon, I never managed to do carbon upgrades on my MS, sold it while it was still plastic,

Hopfully getting a few bits for my xxx over Xmas, just to replace worn out parts unfortunately but should still be great, hopfully ill see you at Soul or possibly mk again at some point of it warms up a bit!

• Like 1

Nah nothing special like that, need reinforced ball ends, shock rebuild kit and other bits, loads of it has worn out and gone all loose so needs re doing!

Cheers :)

The 5 is so much fun. I've had it 7 years now. There's loads I'd like to do with it but I just enjoy driving it.

Carpet feels totally different to tarmac. Before I went to Soul I tried learning to control the car on tarmac. Then went on carpet and couldn't handle the car at all, haha. The carpet is so much slicker. It's almost as if you are running on ice. I think it's a lot more fun once you get the feel for it.

• Like 1

Cheers for the feedback. Need to get my backside in gear and make my way to Wycombe and soul.

I almost bought a Raider R5 GTT after I sold my white one but ended getting a Punto GT. Silly boy. Lol

Miss that car so much. Got my bits from Gt Tuning back in the day.

Memories. Back on topic. Lol

• 3 weeks later...
I've been into this for about a year now. Having learned a little bit about settings and things I've noticed how important it is to have good dampers. 
I got mine for my birthday last year and now it's only 5 days away. Where did that year go?!

I bought lots of little bags, full of all the bits needed to rebuild my dampers :)

DSCN1060_zps1a5fc168.jpg

I've only recently changed all the oils so I'll do the rebuild in a couple of weeks.

And a video from last night.