• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rhodey's D3 Clone..

I just ordered some off a chap who does them on ebay and they look the dogs full german plates with stamps the lot..

and update the sakura Isn't coming...  :death:  the seller just printed the tickets off to give me a tracking number and hasn't had it collected for delivery according to DHL customer care so it is literally still in hong kong even though i paid for express delivery 2weeks ago today.. I give up...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141282701908

These are they plates I use!

Shame about your chassis dude :(

yer i did have a look at those tbf Craig but didn't really want the Jap ones i'll put a pic up on Thursday when they get here to show ya.

and im fully gutted about it and the seller hasn't messaged back or anything its starting to wind me up tbf because he was quick to reply when he thought i was buying it

Atm I'm just waiting to hear back off the ebay team but I've got to wait until the 11th of this month to take further action and tbf I still really want the clone but its just such poor customer service that he's showing atm its frustrating as i was planning on taking a trip up to soul after I'd spent a few hours learning the cs, looks like thats all out of the window for this month anyway..

Edited by WreckitRhodey

cool looking plates pal. i recently got some jap ones for my car and this guy actually engraves the plastic. so damn cool.

sorry to hear about the woes with the ebay seller. there does seem to be a fair few bad sellers out there, fingers crossed you get it sorted pal.

as a good choice on servo too. the alturn 752 are a great and cheap servo and i run on it is so quick compared to some, im sure it will do you proud.

i do love the colour of that shell to pal. im not a bmw fan but that color wow. stunning.

Well gents the woes are nearly over as the package is en route and at the sorting facility in HK, so hopefully Monday I should be sliding and it's a chap on eBay but they are vinyls that have been printed on they'd be on the shell right now but the Smirnoff gold got the better of me tonight lol but not bad for the hefty sum of 3 golden nuggets.. Lol hopefully I'll have some chassis pics to put up Monday and Tuesday I'll be sliding

And thanks for all the comments in the thread giving compliment gents it's appreciated great community on here

Right lads I'm after a brushless sensored combo for the D3 as my current brushless system is a bit full on at low revs to say the least so whats a good cheap one lads to get me going after a programmable one really and its all gibberish to me atm 

Edit: P.S the chassis should be here today!!! Finally!

Edited by WreckitRhodey

a lot of the people i run with run the speed passion reventon which are about 65 quid for a combo from good old modelsport. i thinkyou can get a couple of quid cheaper from ebay but then you may as well not have a warranty. there is always hobbyking but last sensored brushless i had lasted all of 20 mins before it wouldnt power on.

If you have the money to spend the Speed Passion Combos are great. Fantastic value for money, you can program them with either their programming card, or through a iPhone or Android phone with one of their WiFi or Bluetooth cards respectively, with PC programming coming the future (no Mac support  :confused: ). 

The HK/Turning TrackStar Range seems to be pretty decent. They have a 60A ESC which can be combed with their Trackstar motors. The more popular turn motors come in two formats, a ROAR legal version and a regular one (a tad overwound). They can also be programmed through the TrackStar card or there is a USB link for PC available as well (although the firmware for that is pretty unstable atm).

If you want something a little bit different go for the Tamiya combos. They are a bit more than the Speed Passions ones but are really solid motors and provided you stick a fan near the ESC it should run fine. They are popular in Jap so that is always a good sign.

The main thing I would say is avoid mixing and matching ESCs and Motors. You wan't it to be as smooth as possible and while you can adjust timing a combo that was designed together should be smoother than two random components. 

If you are a MST fan the RC OMG stuff seems like a popular choice. It seems expensive too me for what it is but a lot of the hardcore MST guys swear by them, not sure if it's brand allegiance but I can't say I have ever heard of any problems with them. 

EDIT: If you do fancy going the mix and match route the Sanwa Super Vortex Type-D is proving to be a popular ESC. I am tempted by one, I just can't find much info outside of Japan about it. It has lots of programmable functions including a rev limiter simulation feature and even an active boost feature that simulates real boost. I know it is similar to a throttle curve adjustment but opposed to working on a variable scale the boot feature 'simulates pressure' so the longer you hold the accelerator the more power it feed the motor basically creating a mini throttle curve on whatever point you hold, supposedly allowing you to maintain drifts for longer and behave more like a real car, sound interesting. 

Edited by louder

thanks for the input gents im liking the look and price of the reventon gear tbf but I'll sort that out out when i get back from the states next month, but as for the D3 its here!!!! finally so after about two and a half hours thread locking everything lol heres a few pics and just a warning the electrics are abit messy atm but I'm not to worried as i say I'm going to be changing them over soon enough as I definatly need a front one way and sensored motor as mine has no slow speed atm but cant wait to get out there with it first problem i have seen though is even with the UWA CVD's theres some pretty bad wheel chatter at high revs

but anyway heres the pics..

temporary_zpsa48272f9.jpgtemporary_zps7227e6d8.jpgtemporary_zpsc184aff3.jpgtemporary_zps5b5f67aa.jpgtemporary_zpsd3e2253a.jpgtemporary_zpsf6c44cfb.jpg

These chassis look so good for the money. I'm tempted to get one and bung my old electrics on it for some car park action.

Why not adjust your throttle settings on the transmitter for now. Turn it down a bit and it won't be too powerful for you.

I am glad it arrived! It looks very nice, I am rather jealous. 

I don't suppose you could weigh it? Sorry to be nosey I am just interested in the weight of a full alloy build.

I hear the full alloy pushes the weight balance back slightly so I am somewhat intrigued as to what it drifts like. In theory with the centre point pushed back it should hold drifts very well as the standard Sakura does have a tendency to over rotate, especially when I sit the electrics forward on the chassis.

I'm just faffing about setting it up atm which could take a while and thanks gents I'll have a go at weighing it tomorrow at work for ya louder, I don't have any scales at my gaff, and that was one of the best bits no fee's!! Bargain lol just sorted the chatter by taking the end points back 8% and i'll try and get some vids and more pics up but i haven't even got round to fitting the bodyshell on it yet and im dying to take it for a spin lol so might pop out for an hour tonight if i can get the body all fitted tonight

it wont be any bother dude I'm sure 2 of the chaps in the in the units by me run ebay shops and use electric scales for shipping so I'll have a butchers while there's nothing on 

and it was

Well once you master CS you could remove the front belt, pulley, diff and shafts. You can then modify the steers for up to 80 degrees of angle and add a gyro.....then you have a RWD drifter on one of the best chassis available. However it is a completely different experience.