• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

best quick build kit for a stag do

we're organising a stag for next weekend. we're thinking we'll get 2 rc kits, build them on 2 teams and race them. a complex kit is not going to work for bvious reasons. needs to be quick and easy. we're thinking tamiya grasshopper, but wonder if there is a better choice for ease and speed of bild at this cheap proce point.

any ideas / suggestions?

The Rising Fighter is also a good bet. Much like the Grasshopper in overall design, as it is based on the GHII/SH chassis. However it features the DT01 'box with a 540 motor, making it a fair bit quicker. The shell doesn't need painting as it is moulded in blue plastic. Cheap, cheerful and tough, with bonkers handling that is good for a laugh, I think a pair of them would fit the bill nicely.

Edited by XV Pilot

thanks - yeah i was just looking at those on modelsport. Pete the stag wanted a grasshopper when he was a kid (as did I) - so I think that may still be in the frnt running just becase of that.

i haven't put together a tamiya kit before - how musch effort would they be for a group of adults with a few beers and possibly not the best attention span? I'm a bit worried we woldn;t get the kits built before some people started getting bored.

The DT02 is pretty tough, but the front shock tower is on the weak side unless you buy/make it an aftermarket reinforcing bracket. You don't want the evening's fun to come to a premature end due to breakages.

The Rising Fighter on the other hand is tough as old boots. My wife has one. She learned to drive RC with it, having some huge shunts in the process, with no breakages. She lets our nephews drive it. And she still drives it herself on regular occasions, even though she has other, more advanced cars at her disposal, because the handling makes it a lot of fun to drive!

The DT02 is pretty tough, but the front shock tower is on the weak side unless you buy/make it an aftermarket reinforcing bracket. You don't want the evening's fun to come to a premature end due to breakages.

have to disagree with you there fella, mine has had some fairly heavy shunts, cartwheels and inverted landings and its still as fresh as it were when it come off the parts tree.... maybe mine wasnt a friday afternoon one though......

the rising fighter is ok but its a big leap backwards from the grasshopper and hornet in terms of technology, creaky old suspension and toyish looks really let it down to be fair, had one and soon sold it. maybe i just have too high a standards from even the basic of rc kits.....

thanks for your help guys. looking like we;ll go for the sand buggy. front runner at the mo. having a look at some of the turnigy arr ones at similar price as well, as they are ging to be so easy to get running, but i think the lads will be able to handle the sand buggy kit.

have to disagree with you there fella, mine has had some fairly heavy shunts, cartwheels and inverted landings and its still as fresh as it were when it come off the parts tree.... maybe mine wasnt a friday afternoon one though......

the rising fighter is ok but its a big leap backwards from the grasshopper and hornet in terms of technology, creaky old suspension and toyish looks really let it down to be fair, had one and soon sold it. maybe i just have too high a standards from even the basic of rc kits.....

I am afraid it is I who must disagree. While I am glad to hear your shock tower is holding up well, the DT02 front shock tower is a known weak point, which is why most competitors in race series such as the Tamiyaclub DT02 Challenge and the Fighter Buggy Cup run tower braces, and why the Carson tower brace is a permitted hop-up in said series.

Also, I wouldn't say the Rising Fighter is a step backwards in terms of technology compared to the Grasshopper and Hornet! It is a development of the GHII/Super Hornet platform, which is itself a successor to the original Grasshopper/Hornet. As such, I would argue that it represents a step forward, since it has reinforced shock towers and a tougher gearbox that contains an enclosed gear diff that is tunable to a degree through using grease of different thicknesses.

Well.... I have broken the front tower on the superfighter gr (bounced off a tree), but the one in the HB has taken MUCH abuse and is still fine; this suggests to me that under the protection of a shell, durability is increased (the front body mount takes the impact quite well). I shall, however, be bracing the SF, now it too is running 3s ;)