• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help to choose my second plane

Hi all. I've got a maxthrust riot at the nomen and am look for my next model. I want to try a nitro model for my second so as to get more flight time. I was thinking about a seagul Yak 54 but am not sure if that is a step too far for a second plane.

yak is a low wing, gonna be very unlike flying the high wing you have been flying.

maybe something like a Nitro trainer 4ch 

stick with a high wing but running a nitro lump and a larger airframe.

the frame you have chosen is a very sporty frame, its more a sport flyer

something a pilot with plenty of air hours under the belt would fly.

these airframes are FAST, they need speed to keep afloat,

they also run high rates on the control surfaces. this means they are more tuned to heavy aerobatics.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

Back in the days when I used to fly, i Iearned with a plane called a prangster. Are these still around? Any way, that was a high wing, semi aerobatic trainer. Think of it as a stronger Wot4. After folding the wings mid snap roll my dad gave me a flair cap 232 he had built. It was fantastic! 56" with an irvine 53 iirc. Very easy to fly and super precise. Dont be put off by people saying stay high wing. Depending on the plane, low wings can be just as easy to fly. Having a fairly large wing area it could be flown at little more than walking pace, turn up the rates, give her some stick and it could do everything I asked of it. As long as you are a fairly confident flyer then just get something you like within reason. Since that I have had limbo dancers, massively over powered delta's and another cap 232. As long as it will fly relatively slowly without dropping a wing you will be fine. I wouldnt recommend a delta, they are pigs to fly and rely purely on speed to stay in the air! They are fun though!