• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight-T arrived today

ninjagaiden

I fitted my Novak 14t pinion this evening, and got a chance to try out my new Wiha Picofinish hex drivers ('They is Boss' as the youth of today might say). I'm having real problems setting the mesh to run smoothly and I've not much experience of meshing Mod 0.5 gearing.

1 sheet of newspaper to set the mesh was too tight and the mesh was very raspy.

2 sheets of newspaper and it seems to roll freely and smoothly with the wheels off the ground, but I still get some rasping at low speed when running under load.

I'm running without the gear guard so I can visually check the mesh. Everything is locked down nice and square.

Any tips?

Newspaper is a little to thin to set the mesh with, the front or rear cover of a magazine is better .. Always check your mesh in a few spots on the spur as the plastic ones can actually be a little oval from the moulding process..

If your meshing up a non stock motor you may find it's actually out of line and hitting the chassis ? .. If you can't run a bit of paper doubled up under the motor it could be pushing it into the mesh ? .. If it's the stock one then just keep trying with it set the mesh and tighten the bolts a little at a time not just one all the way then the next ?. Check the mesh as you tighten and you should get it spot on.

Setting the mesh right on the mini 8ight has always been a bit of a pain

Newspaper is a little to thin to set the mesh with, the front or rear cover of a magazine is better .. Always check your mesh in a few spots on the spur as the plastic ones can actually be a little oval from the moulding process..

If your meshing up a non stock motor you may find it's actually out of line and hitting the chassis ? .. If you can't run a bit of paper doubled up under the motor it could be pushing it into the mesh ? .. If it's the stock one then just keep trying with it set the mesh and tighten the bolts a little at a time not just one all the way then the next ?. Check the mesh as you tighten and you should get it spot on.

Setting the mesh right on the mini 8ight has always been a bit of a pain

Cheers. I checked the paper under the can with the 17T pinion, but I just checked with the 14T and it doesn't fit underneath. Maybe I need to do a bit more filing of the chassis with the motor in it's current position.

Got the mesh set nicely (by eye and by feel) and tidied up the wires. She's running really good now and I'm very happy with the setup now. Only thing that needs changing is that the brake force is too vicious (ESC was previously in a 1:10 car).

Also Wheelspin told me the M8T bodyshells arrived in their warehouse, so I ordered one!

Got the mesh set nicely (by eye and by feel) and tidied up the wires. She's running really good now and I'm very happy with the setup now. Only thing that needs changing is that the brake force is too vicious (ESC was previously in a 1:10 car).

Also Wheelspin told me the M8T bodyshells arrived in their warehouse, so I ordered one!

What they say and what they have are totally different ;)

Yep. That's why I called first. Shadow stock is like shadow money from my point of view. Horizon USA released them to US bricks and mortar shops earlier this month so maybe it's for real.

Just did a tarmac run this evening. Very pleased with the handling and not missing the sway bars!

Woohoo! New bodyshell is on the way from Wheelspin. Will try and  get it painted up at the weekend.

Anyone thinking about sway bars for their M8T?

Yeah did think about em :)

But then been having so much fun with the EMB-SC :)