• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charlesk's new SC racer

Yeah sorry, I was speaking about 2wd buggy, I presumed the short course tyres would be similar?

The length of the grass varies at each race meeting as it all depends who cut the grass a few days beforehand. Our off-road track isn't permanent, we have to set it up at each race meeting, which is a bit of a pain but a permanent track is on the cards.

I've not tried full spikes, I'll give them a go too.

Yes they are, but remember that grip roll is much more of a problem for a SC.

Full spikes in my experience work well on longish grass (worth a go).

Really short and dry yellow mini spike

Damp/wet ballistic green

Dry but a touch longer white ballistics

Really worn/down to dirt silver mini spikes or pink ballistics

Those would be my starting tyres if choice, without saying that others won't work.

Hope this helps.

Do you run the low grip chassis on the KF?

Is due to the extra width and possibly higher cog due to larger wheels?

From the list, it sounds like ballistic whites will be worth a go as it is short most the time but is occasionally a bit longer. I'll take some photos at the next race meeting :thumbsup:

I presume you use all those tyres with medium foam inserts?

I don't have the low grip chassis yet but it is on the wish list.

The higher cog is the main issue.

Medium inserts indeed.

White ballistics are a good option for your pitbox.

From what I've seen the low grip chassis work really well on astro/grass even bone dry.

Cool, that'll be another item for the wish list then.

I was impressed with the KF the first time I used it, I do think it was lacking a bit of traction so to put some weight on the rear, I bought the upper alloy gear box case which also allows the rear shocks to be mounted at the rear, I also ordered the alloy rear hubs. I've not used it since then as I've been concentrating on my touring car which is my main priority this year.

A bit of an update, the brass plate from Rudebits has arrived:

imagejpg1_zps3edf2b76.jpg

Also a rear bulkhead weight has now been installed:

imagejpg3_zps5b67a2ce.jpg

These should tone this truck down a bit, making me more consistent.

The problem with browsing on the Rudebits site is that is easy to get tempted by some of their nice carbon bits, so some how this has made its way on my car!!!

imagejpg1_zps2035e6fb.jpg

On a different front, some more wheels and tyres have been out together. The Kourse King is my favourite high grip tyre for an SC or at least it was on the 4wd. Should hopefully be decent on this too.

imagejpg4_zpsc7bc16db.jpg

Well, regional yesterday and the pack was 70% durangos, 20% associated and 10% random (which my Kyosho falls in).

The track was lower grip than the one I've been using to set it up, so no grip roll but needed to be a bit less aggressive.

The day started damp which was challenging considering that I've only driven this on high grip, but even then it had decent balance and pace.

As the day went on the weather threatened but stayed dry. After the 2 practice runs and 4 qualifying rounds, managed to get it to qualify A5 more than good enough result for me.

The final started really badly, had an abysmal start ( went sideways at the start losing 3 places and then got tafled in the usual 1st/2nd corner incidents sending me all the way to p11 ie last).

However the truck was good and had more than enough pace, so was quickly back on the heals of the pack and with a consistent drive avoiding crashes/spins etc brought it back to P5 by the end of the 5min posting the fastest outright laps of 2wd SC for the day.

Could of been an even better result, but A5 on a regional, in the first proper competitive meeting and after only having driven it twice before, I'm more than happy with the result.

Bring on the next round!!!

Excellent result, that's good going, well done Charles :thumbsup:

Thanks David, I'm very happy with the result and choice of car.

Edited by charlesk

Nice one kyosho are so easy to drive

One of the main plus points, easy to drive quickly also v.strong. Got involved in a few bad landings, crashes etc throughout the day and the only thing that I had to do, is replace 1body clip.

That really does help, cause instead of trying to fix it, you can concentrate on driving/racing...

Edited by charlesk

• 3 weeks later...

Popped across to a different club night yesterday, having made a couple of setup changes (main one being spacing up the gearbox and hinge pin holders). It is now spot on, even easier to drive yet sharp and quick.

Nice dry and warm night, so suited to 2wd.

Tq'd all 3 rounds of qualifying and disappeared from the pack in the race inc the 2 4wds that were in the group.

Stupidly consistent (fastest lap within 0.3 sec of my 6min average),

and quick at the same time.

Good choice at least so far :-))

Edited by charlesk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another club night last night, car was good, however I did manage to do this:

imagejpg1_zpsdefa3946.jpg

imagejpg2_zps497d6538.jpg

Motor not in much better condition. Swapped electrics from met 4wd (which I wasn't running) and carried on with a bit less timing...

Time for a new combo.

Strange thing was, there was no magic smoke, just went into meltdown!!!

Tbh the reventon shave done well for me so far, but I'm looking for other options too, heard a few good things about the Fleta pros, but also looking into some cheaper options too.

We shall see...

Very nice, if you want a cheap esc and box,I have one, new just fitted and calibrated to the car.

What is it Jony? Provided it can do decent amps I could be interested.

Drop me a pm/text if you want.

Cool build thread! Are you doing the Short Course national at A1 in a couple of weeks?

http://www.ukshortcourse.com/venues/

Debating between that and the Autumn cup at RHR the.

I'd like to pitch this truck against some decent competition but not sure if the last national meeting of the year is the time to do it, considering I've not done any of the rest of the series and don't want to mess up the results of the ones that have.

We shall see...