• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tims quad build, first bits page 3

TiM!

am sure it runs the futaba styled layout so that will be ...... 

1. Aileron
2. Elevator
3. Throttle
4. Rudder
5. Gear (Gyro)
6. Aux1 (Pitch)
7. Aux2
8. Aux3

when it come to AUX on the control board you are going to use a switch on the handset

so look for the gear switch on handset, this will be your mode switch ( manual mode/ stability mode)

plug AUX from the controller into ch5 on your rx

looking brill Tim. 

good thing is if you wnat to upgrade all you do is grab an upper and lower fpv deck and 

place the quadparts onto the new plates. 

pop that connector on, grab a battery ( leave props off)

and start up the system , test radio without props on.

then prop her up and find a nice quiet field to have your first maiden test flights.

going to be loading up my quad tomorrow with 3s 5ah and 10 inch props.

send the naza up and check the house guttering ( think its blocked an needs cleaning out)

nice thing is i dont even need a ladder lol.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Ok, it turns on and it seems like the correct motors spin up or down in accordance to the control inputs, but when I move the quad around with the motors going it seems like it does nothing to correct itself. How do I turn the auto level on? Also, anyone got any decent pi gain setups? (I've no idea what that even means!)

heres the video to the kk2 pi gain settup

you may also need to flip your chanel 5 switch ( gear )

this is your mode switch between stable and manual flight

with quad copter de-propped, start it up again, handset first

then plug quad into battery and give it say a min to warm up

the quad will do some diagnostic checking. 

now start up motors have them about 1/3rd to half throttle.

pick up quad, 

turn left-right 

pitch forward back

angle left right

if the quad does not try to compensate, give the gear switch a flick and try again.

do the quads motors now spin faster slower when the quad is moved. 

if so your now in stable mode.

Once you know the switch state for manual and stable your ready to prop up the quadcopter

full charge your batterys and go out to test fly and maybe adjust PI gain if needed

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Right, good video that. I've just tried it in the garden and it really wants to pull to one side. I can't lift off without the blades hitting the floor unless I punch it up. Once up it's off all by itself where ever it wants to go. Already bent a set of blades. 

Is this normal or have I missed something?

have you calibrated the motor esc's buddy, sometimes we need to sync the esc's to the single handset

so in the old days we had to set throttle limits on every esc seperate, but the kk2 changed that with its own esc calibration system

using keypresses. 

what we need to do is go back indoors / outside and de-prop the quad again.

set the throttle to 100% and turn on the handset. 

Now your going to hole in button 1 +4 together and plug the battery into quad.

it should beep twice, now lower throttle to zero it should beep once

calibration done 

oh and dont feel down about props we all lost a few in our time

if they have nicks in now worrys use them for testing like now.

now if the kk2 has done everything right we should have four esc's acting as one single unit

all in sync , while depropped, arm the quad start up motors and give her a little hand rattle around

all sounds good ? , cool prop her up and try again ;)

your very close to getting the bird airborne 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Did it :D

I didn't realise that auto level turned itself off on power loss. 

Only in a small garden with solid objects such as a shed and washing line (stupid I know), but I managed to dodge it all. Longest flight was around 30 seconds about 4 foot off the ground :D

Couple of small dents and scratches in the lipo from the bad landings and poor mounting, but other than that no harm

Now hurry up weekend...

Edited by TiM!

wooohooooooo Tim 

welcome to the wonderful world of 360 freedom of the sky.

i bet your itching to go back out. and yes small gardens can be a mine field but a slow and 

gentle flight hover is fine. if anything feels bad and/or out of control just chop the throttle. 

have fun fly safe and enjoy your rotorcraft 

have fun buddy. 

have late nights now so dont get dark till round 9:30

over time you will start to explore manual mode and try to tame it,

but for now have fun with stable mode and get used to flying a bigger more bulky machine.

you will notice a big difference power / lift and control feel wise.

awesome news your airborne just dont get to hooked lol

Short clip from today

Sorry about the sound, there was quite a wind, as I found out when I went too high! Must have got caught in a nasty gust and before I knew it, it was off. Within seconds I lost memory of which way it was pointing as all I could see was the X of the frame as it was being blown away! Got a bit lucky in being able to point it back towards me and gun it forward to land somewhere near where I took off. Did have my brother with me who had already gone sprinting after it to spot it land if I had to kill it.   :doh:

little tip tim buddy. 

its not unusual to loose direction so some people add a hooped bar

to the front legs of there quads, onto this plastic rod they slide on a ping pong ball 

and paint it bright fluro orange ;)

those kinder egg toy holders the kiddies get are ideal, just spray one over poke holes in the end.

for a bar i used those plastic sticks you get with roses and petrol station plants in pots, or those ballons on sticks

a couple zipties to hold it onto the front in a bow shape.

tell ya what, you should try and put ER9X on your turnigy 9x, comes as standard on the 9xr, and its amazing, especially the mixing.

im at the point where i would like more than 8 channels on the thing!

some of the cool things you can do, is assign any switch to anything, can have it so you flick a switch, and it changes the aelaron and evelator controls and sends it to a gimbal, and flick it back to control the aircraft. would be cool in gps hold for fpv

Edited by samshirley001

aye guys channels become the thing you want more in flying.

with ground base your always hunting for the next awesome battery / servo / motor and esc combo.

in the rotor world we aint bothered with fancy stuff we just want more channels.

like the

annoy wife switch

chase cat switch

become a brick switch

omg come home switch

follow that hot chick switch

email and post to facebook switch ( my god if this happens i am going to top myself by trying to use my quad as a parachute of a tall mountian )

Well, the 9X has just packed up on me! Just get "switch error" no matter what guides I follow online.

Think it might be a sign though. It's an ok radio I guess, but I'm flying this thing every weekend and want something with a little bit more of a name to it. Also might want to expand the range of copters soon too...

Looking at the DX6i at the  moment, any others suggestions greatly appreciated. Would be looking to spend up to

Edited by TiM!

And it lives again haha

Wiggled one of the switches a bit and it works again. Still looking to buy something better though. Its 95% trust rating from me has gone down to about 55% :lol:

Edited by TiM!

The addition of a fully functioning fail safe would be welcome too. Even with the flashed firm ware it's missing what I'd consider an essential feature. Check the soldering on the switch to prolong the radios life.