• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Struggling with the soldering

Alright I got a cheap 30w soldering iron off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Version-Soldering-Iron-stand-replaceable/dp/B000LZ1VXE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401122004&sr=8-2&keywords=soldering+iron

I'm struggling to solder the wires to the ECU.... it just doesn't seem to get hot enough esp if I'm trying to heat the wire and solder to attach it the ESC contact.

What am I missing... do i need a more powerful soldering iron ? 

PS Tip that came with it is a round point cone tip.

Edited by DoppleBanger

A hotter iron allows you to get the heat into the wires quickly so they take up the solder. If your iron isn't powerful enough, then the heat just dissipates down the wires, and of course your valuable electronics are sitting at the other end.

Also its worth taking note what gauge of wire you are trying to solder, what ESC you are trying to solder up etc

for example castle use probably the most heat proof solder ive ever seen, that was stupidly difficult.

I have a maplins "Variable temperature" soldering iron, for small gauge wires such as 14, 16 etc it takes it all in its stride for all types of soldering including ESC's, recently did my hobbywing v2.1 with 12 gauge wire and it struggled to tin the wire, i wouldnt of used 12 gauge but its all i had..

If this isnt going to be something youll be doing regularly just try and pick up a decent brand 80w iron and good solder! cheapy nasty stuff that you get in auto factors etc just doesnt cut it, has no flux etc ..ive had no issues with maplins silver solder but i also have a tin of flux so that helps

Edited by PurcyP
  • Like 1

Wouldn't that be a eec lol, thought ecu was engine control unit.

eec???.....European economic community. .......lol!!...I got a 30 watter for samll gauge wire and a 100 watter for them big wires. ...... Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

Don't forget ya solder, flux and heat shrink ;)

I highly recommend these:

Solder

Flux

63/37 is the best and easiest stuff to use.

Any more than 6 seconds to complete connection is risking your expensive electronics

Edited by Deafty

I use a 30W iron and maplin solder.

Never had any issues, and I use it on everything from tiny wires on my 1/36 scale right up to the thicker gauge stuff on my 1/8th scale.

Just make sure both surfaces are hot enuff that the solder is actually gelling to them and not just sitting on top.

Good solder has a flux core, so no need for extra flux. Or flux capacitors ;)

Poppycock, my 1.21 gigawatt soldering iron needs plenty of capacitors... also enables me to solder at 88mph.........