• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BRCA 2014 Season

R46

thanks to Andy Carless & kp design :good:

BRCA 2014

Edited by R46

• 1 month later...

Have many sidecars been running so far this year? What specs are they running or any pictures?

I'm currently building one based on mardave suspension with 17.5t brushless and 2s lipo, would be good to race against some others

both but those are way beyond my means of money.

hence why i was thinking maybe start with SB5 and entry level races

or grab a nitro and either convert to leccy, or just run a bigger block

tame a .21 machine or build a fourstroke conversion.

i like the sound of the fourstroke and would love that low down beef a .21 throws out

but am not a fan of stinky fuel , brushless i am an old hand at and i have a spare 3s 2.2 lipo.

my ride style will he hard handed, agressive cornering and giving it large beans on the straights

late braking. ( street racing style )

ofcourse a gyro would be advantage ( new to two wheel rc, but an ex rider of 1:1 machines)

but none gyro should not be a problem either will keeping up with the back runners ( i already know bike lines).

but i am looking at more superbike class, ie no reg on power output, high kv, max 3s lipo.

just looking for lipos is a pain to most regs state hardcased ? i like to run softpacks.

i just got lost on the bike section of the brca was to many laws requiring top money chassis being run.

and thats my main stay, i need it to be cheap (outta work , but hope to be in work again at some point)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

The best advice for all those who are interested in going racing is to go to either a National meeting or to a club day at Aldershot/Southend/Cotswolds.

You'll be able to chat about it with anyone there, they can give you time to answer your queries.

If you're wanting a chat on the forums, then you need to go to moto-5.com as this is where the racers are to be found. Ask what you like there, you'll get the answers you need. We all were new to bikes once so no one will bat an eyelid when you ask the basic questions. The bike crew are the best friendliest bunch around!

• Like 1

That's very true.

Since I've been into bikes I've found the bike specific forums to be hugely welcoming and helpful.

Doesn't seem to attract the elitist attitude.

aye but most are running top class expensive chassis.

im somewhat struggling, theres the TT sb5 , theres a venom gpv-1 up this way , or there is the hobbyking 15NMB ( ducati nitro).

but everywhere else just a frame, no tyres rims etc etc is costing near 300 - 400 quid. 

its like there is no entry level frames at a  more welcoming price band.

then if you tun up with a rag n bay carparker you get the hard shoulder being the newbie.

i cant find no forum that says yep this cheapy carpark runner is a good start, all i find is 

if you wanna race you need one of these and links to bikes one just dreams of

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Not got one myself but the Anderson M5 race bike gets decent reviews off people.

Comes with a mechanical that's strong enough to make them super stable. Unfortunately recently discontinued but often turn up on ebay.

Then, later on the gyro can be removed, and alloy wheels fitted as your skills get better.

I've got a GPV1 and they're great. Bit tricky for a beginner maybe and need a smooth car park to get the best out of them.

Hi Tamiya

The cheaper chassie are the NF501 and Tundertiger TTe.  These wont win a race due to restrictive lean angle,

The SB5  was developed by Torrance (TC3/4/5 designer) who jumped ship from Team assocate to thundertiger to win the 2009 world championship in Germany, The sb5 is a fast bike and made the stock A final every year at the world champiobship since with Tomas ferlin at the helm. I race one myself at club as the tour car guy got a habbit of burning there hand on the exhaust of the nitro.  you need slight longer front fork legs and a set of PMT 200 tyres and there no reason it wont be a competive bike.

Leave the hobbyking nitro alone it has many falts one being the petral tank a bad design and the forks are undamped, just a pogo stick as JB would put it.

The vemon is just a money pit, very fast bike but over engeernered and prone to braking.

As for being hardline as a newbie not really the case, 95% of us are real bikers so we welcome anyone with two wheels and everyone will help.

As for rules, superbike any 1/5th chassie with any motor and a 2cell lipo 7.4 volts

stock bike the same but with the mardave G2 brushed moror or a 17.5 brushless and 2 cell 7.4 volts

Edited by whitham69

thanks guys. 

i really liked the venom machine, but its been up for sale on gummy for over a week,

so maybe has gone now. 

TT Sb5 is ok, its those plastic like front fin forks and the rear carbon plate two part swing arm i worry for.

7.4v is ok'ish , but means i have to buy all new packs, ( i run 3s shortys and longs in my quadcopters).

the nitro 15NMB ( yep found out the hobbyking version model ) its really a ducati 999r TT nitro in a halloween guize.

the more i look at the bad reviews the more i put it down to the engine. cheapy china made rubbish. .15.

i could get away with fin shaving a buggy lump .21 and dropping it in but has to be a side port exhaust.

from rear its a right sided exhaust porting. i was unable to find any FM-1E side plates ( TT leccy catty)

i could them maybe use  them to leccy the machine. 

those pure breed bikes, OMG lush , but 250-400 a chassis frame set i just cannot see it making 

a way to my desktop., being an ex biker i can guess you know i like it fast and hard, agressive /over aggressive ride style

so the model would be rode hard just as i would a 1:1.

on that choice i think its best i go a SB5 maybe even a bulky fm-1e.

So i take it on 7.4 2s these bikes still good power, and has there ever been 3s powered bikes/races ?

or will i be stuck to getting whole new sets of batterys.

Oh im still a biker I ride my cross plan to work nearly everyday, did castle comb last month on my race CBR6, Nice and smooth gives me the best lap times but each to there own.

Not sure what the standered sb5 esc can handle tbh, 3s could be to much for it,  The motor a little slow in the rtr but that would probily be best to start as little things hit over 100kph in superbike trim on race track gearing. You don't learn to ride on R1 when ya start out, skill set not there and that get costly fast in accident damage. 

Never done a 3s race in the UK as that meens  the guys would have to buy batterys and we try to keep cost down for people, you can get a good 2s for 20 bucks.