• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo problem

ade909

Hi my brother hasn't used his lipo battery in over a year I did a voltage check, it's a 3 cell lipo 11.1v. one cell measures 4volts the second cell is 8v and the 3rd cell is 12v.

Is this battery safe to charge or is it toast?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are adding the voltage up as opposed to checking the cells individually. By your description there it sounds like you have 4v at each cell which isnt great anyway as it should have been in storage charge at around 3.8v per cell. Do you have a charger that shows each cell as its charging? If so pop it on and watch the individual cell voltage as it starts to charge. Being at that voltage for that time it may be shot anyway. It may puff or get warm while charging though, so either watch it VERY closely or just dispose of in the correct way.

Edited by b19jas

What I did was use the multi meter on the charge socket negative on the black and used the positive on the live, that should give me each cell voltage?

I might pop it on the charger and charge it up, my brother says it must be flat to charge but not compleatly flat.

my brother says it must be flat to charge but not compleatly flat.

Your brother is wrong.

If you totally discharge a lipo, you'll kill it.

They are usually ok to discharge until you get to ~3.4v per cell. Give or take a bit.

Edited by mattr

Sorry I was wrong the car has a set point where it cuts off at a certain voltage then it's safe to charge. Right I'm going to put it on charge now and use the safe bag and see how it goes.

Minimum voltage for each cell on a lipo is 3.0 volts. People seem to set their LVC (in the ESC) to 3.2v and then use an alarm set to 3.4v...

Read this if you havent recently...

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/21028-lipo-the-big-guide-thread-updated-march-10/