• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie - brushless (buy or build)

Stu iles

My mate has converted some of his old nitros to brushless...

I would like to have a brushless for bashing

Do I try and build one or is it better to buy one or a converted one?

What price do I need to spend for something half decent?

Preferably a truggy

I personally enjoyed converting my 8T from nitro to brushless

Gave me a good idea of all the bits on the car and the satisfaction when it was completed.

I already had the 8 and i recon i spent a good

I guess if you understand how it all works to build you know how to fix it

Are there are any kits you can buy to build or is most of it custom build?

I understand the basics but no idea what to buy

My friend has done loads but that was back in 2006 so he is probably a bit out of date with the products but knows what to do...

Most have kits to convert

Have a read through the forum there is a shed load of info about any conversion and everything you need to know

And any questions just ask as there are a lot of very helpful people on here.

B

There are in fact very few brushless 1:8 truggies available.  This is the main reason why people convert from nitro.

Honestly,  it really depends on your budget and what tools you have.

eg:  Often a conversion will require that you drill a few new holes in the chassis to mount the likes of battery trays etc.

• Do you have the basic skills and tools to do this?  (u have newbie in the tittle)
  • Are you looking at 1:8th scale?

A lot of manufactures and aftermarket manufactures have brushless kits available to buy.  Though not always necessary this will make your research easier.

Putting lipos, charger, and soldering gear aside.  (all essential for a brushless owner)

• You will need a budget of ~150 quid for a decent brushless system.  eg: Hobbywing Xerun150a of Ezrun 150a and a motor.
  • Then the Truggy itself of ~200 quid for a decent used roller
  • Then the brushless conversion kit or parts ~100 quid

and yes you can do it cheaper but those figures should keep you in budget ;)

If you buy a rtr brushless truggy you will likely upgrade the electrics which is a good reason to start with a roller.  As wellas the fact that new rtr brushless truggies in that price range will be of lesser quality.

The Losi Eight T with a tekno conversion will likely be the easiest and most straight forward to convert.   Though you will need buy a second hand roller.

However if you want to start from new then you really need to provide us with what your budget is.  There are some amazing truggies out there ;)

• Like 2

Excellent replies

I can solder and fabricate stuff

Just need advice on what to buy

I have all the tools needed and money is not an issue, it is a hobby

1/8 th scale I think is a good size

I like potching with things so think building my own would be great

There are in fact very few brushless 1:8 truggies available.  This is the main reason why people convert from nitro.

Honestly,  it really depends on your budget and what tools you have.

eg:  Often a conversion will require that you drill a few new holes in the chassis to mount the likes of battery trays etc.

• Do you have the basic skills and tools to do this?  (u have newbie in the tittle)
  • Are you looking at 1:8th scale?
A lot of manufactures and aftermarket manufactures have brushless kits available to buy.  Though not always necessary this will make your research easier.

Putting lipos, charger, and soldering gear aside.  (all essential for a brushless owner)

• You will need a budget of ~150 quid for a decent brushless system.  eg: Hobbywing Xerun150a of Ezrun 150a and a motor.
  • Then the Truggy itself of ~200 quid for a decent used roller
  • Then the brushless conversion kit or parts ~100 quid
and yes you can do it cheaper but those figures should keep you in budget ;)

If you buy a rtr brushless truggy you will likely upgrade the electrics which is a good reason to start with a roller.  As wellas the fact that new rtr brushless truggies in that price range will be of lesser quality.

The Losi Eight T with a tekno conversion will likely be the easiest and most straight forward to convert.   Though you will need buy a second hand roller.

However if you want to start from new then you really need to provide us with what your budget is.  There are some amazing truggies out there ;)

Is it best to buy stuff on eBay or here?

Don't want cheap and nasty

Is it best to buy stuff on eBay or here?

Don't want cheap and nasty

of all the rc's I've bought off here......6 of em....I have never had an issue with any of them.......I would get a tidy roller off here and then buy the combo new and what ever else u'll need.....ebay can a bit dodgy for rc buying unless ur near to actually go see it before u bid/buy it.....I've read plenty of horror storys of bad ebay deals on here........ Edited by evssv

I've just started a Losi 8ight buggy conversion.

The roller came via a wanted ad on here and although I've only been a member for a short time I've brought and sold on here several times without issue, always follow the guide in the for sale section. I can only say that the one time I got tucked up was on eBay and unless it's close enough for me to collect I'm only ever going to used it to buy new or sell my own stuff.

I'm still not sure if I've bitten off more than I can chew financially as none of it seems too bad individually, but when you add it up it soon mounts up. I'm going to take my time, hunt around for bargains or cheap second hand stuff. To be honest I've almost put it up for sale but as my good lady has reminded me sometimes you just have to be patient to get the right thing.

Do your homework with the conversion kits though they seem to vary alot it price and quality, luckily for me a good friend is bringing me back from the states a losi conversion kit and body for less than just the conversion kit in the UK.

I thought about going down the new route but i'm hoping my 8ight will give me a much stronger and more responsive buggy than if I'd spent the same new. But it will probably mean some trial and error and getting the right bits.

I recon by the time it's built and I've got a LiPo for it I'll be over

Edited by Markswebpages

I am tempted to buy the hpi trophy flux truggy also

I have a lot to play with as I bought the hyper 7 nitro off here

At least I can chuck a battery in the flux and away to go

If I get in to it more I can always start a project build...

I am tempted to buy the hpi trophy flux truggy also

I have a lot to play with as I bought the hyper 7 nitro off here

At least I can chuck a battery in the flux and away to go

If I get in to it more I can always start a project build...

Now you've done it!

Got me thinking about selling the 8ight and saving up for something RTR and complete.

The down side for me would be nothing to fiddle with while I save to buy it, where as I can but bits for the conversion as and when funds allow.

But you've got me thinking again!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Now you've done it!

Got me thinking about selling the 8ight and saving up for something RTR and complete.

The down side for me would be nothing to fiddle with while I save to buy it, where as I can but bits for the conversion as and when funds allow.

But you've got me thinking again!

I know what you mean, that's why I bought the hyper 7 so I can fiddle but I want a brushless for ease of use and not always practical to run nitro in certain places

I know what you mean, that's why I bought the hyper 7 so I can fiddle but I want a brushless for ease of use and not always practical to run nitro in certain places

Yeah I love the noise and the speed, but hate the mess and buggering about.

My budget is half the problem, I haven't got all of the cash right now but I want to something.

I have the SCT for the time being, but I want something a bit more robust for bashing (although I'm no hard core basher) and a conversion seemed to make sense as most decent nitro stuff seems more robust.

Yeah I love the noise and the speed, but hate the mess and buggering about.

My budget is half the problem, I haven't got all of the cash right now but I want to something.

I have the SCT for the time being, but I want something a bit more robust for bashing (although I'm no hard core basher) and a conversion seemed to make sense as most decent nitro stuff seems more robust.

Yeah I fancy the conversion but it ain't cheap and you will have to do loads of research and get advice from here not to make costly mistakes

I can see the fun and pros and cons with both the nitro and brushless...

Maybe if I wait the right one will turn up

Trophy flux has lots of bad reviews and it ain't a cheap one

If you're prepared to wait it out, you could just about do a conversion for close to 200. 50-100 for a roller, 40 for sc8 120a, 30 for a turnigy motor, 25 for 4s 5000mah battery, 25 for charger and 20 for radio.

It's not going to be the best setup but you'll still get some decent speed and everything gets okay reviews. Bargains pop up, it's just a case of buying bit by bit or buy it all at once retail and pay a bit more.

It's a bit cliche now but if you choose a hyper bits are easy to find and you really can find some bargains. Not that, that isn't true for many others, hypers just seem to have been around longest and in qty.

Edited by Smoothybb

If you're prepared to wait it out, you could just about do a conversion for close to 200. 50-100 for a roller, 40 for sc8 120a, 30 for a turnigy motor, 25 for 4s 5000mah battery, 25 for charger and 20 for radio.

It's not going to be the best setup but you'll still get some decent speed and everything gets okay reviews. Bargains pop up, it's just a case of buying bit by bit or buy it all at once retail and pay a bit more.

It's a bit cliche now but if you choose a hyper bits are easy to find and you really can find some bargains. Not that, that isn't true for many others, hypers just seem to have been around longest and in qty.

Was thinking a truggy or monster truck for a brushless but whatever is the easiest to convert and get hold of with parts readily available