• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro tuning problems

D9LVE

Hi all.

I'm sure this has been posted time and time again, and a lot of you guys are about to have a facepalm moment. My apologies in advance.

I have a Hyper 7 black edition with the .21 three port engine.

I've run about 10-or-so tanks through of 20% fuel the car. It was brand new when I got it.

So I've done some Internet reading, and gone ahead trying to tweak the fuelling so it's not running as rich.

Anyway, I'm not too sure what I'd read, but I started to adjust the needles, but it seems I have adjusted the wrong ones. In a bit of a panic as it started to run worse, I've ended up adjusting them all. (There's the facepalm).

I appreciate I am a complete and utter tool, and I would be really thankful if some of you guys could assist me in getting the car back to 'normal' again.

At this moment in time, I can get the car started (with a little help from a hair dryer) but the idle is terrible. It revs it's nads off one minute, and stalls itself the next. The revs fluctuate without me touching anything.

I felt that this was a good place to start, with the idle first...

Thanks in advance

Tom

When it says '5 turns', does a turn mean one full revolution of the screw, I presume?

From memory, I think the Hyper instructions mean half-turns.

No problems mate. It did turn out that far, just me having a blonde moment.

Well I adjusted it to the factory setting that you linked me up with, cheers.

I had it started a few times, but only for 5 seconds or so before it cuts out, and then it just wouldn't start up at all...

Hi all.

I'm sure this has been posted time and time again, and a lot of you guys are about to have a facepalm moment. My apologies in advance.

I have a Hyper 7 black edition with the .21 three port engine.

I've run about 10-or-so tanks through of 20% fuel the car. It was brand new when I got it.

So I've done some Internet reading, and gone ahead trying to tweak the fuelling so it's not running as rich.

Anyway, I'm not too sure what I'd read, but I started to adjust the needles, but it seems I have adjusted the wrong ones. In a bit of a panic as it started to run worse, I've ended up adjusting them all. (There's the facepalm).

I appreciate I am a complete and utter tool, and I would be really thankful if some of you guys could assist me in getting the car back to 'normal' again.

At this moment in time, I can get the car started (with a little help from a hair dryer) but the idle is terrible. It revs it's nads off one minute, and stalls itself the next. The revs fluctuate without me touching anything.

I felt that this was a good place to start, with the idle first...

Thanks in advance

Tom

My master needle won't screw 5 turns out, it stops before then... how bizarre.

Ok...

You have four adjustments on the carb...

HSN- The screw in the hosing where the fuel tube connects...3.5 turn from closed...plenty rich.

LSN- the black screw on the bit that goes in/out when you operate the throttle..make that screw head 0.5mm out from flush..plenty rich.

Slide gap- !mm

"Mid needle"- the brass screw opposite the LSN....flush with the housing...no need for any different...do not touch it..

When running ensure it is not too lean...when.warm adjust HSN first with full throttle/high rom...then LSN with acceleration..when adjusting LSN you wil have to adjutt the slide gap.

hmm, that may explain why it won't go now, maybe it's a bit too lean...

No, it would be too rich. When it stops and won't re-start, is it flooded?

• Like 1

No, it would be too rich. When it stops and won't re-start, is it flooded?

Sorry, yes, too rich - that's what I meant.

Yeah It's hydro locking when the plug's screwed all the way in.

Ok...

You have four adjustments on the carb...

HSN- The screw in the hosing where the fuel tube connects...3.5 turn from closed...plenty rich.

LSN- the black screw on the bit that goes in/out when you operate the throttle..make that screw head 0.5mm out from flush..plenty rich.

Slide gap- !mm

"Mid needle"- the brass screw opposite the LSN....flush with the housing...no need for any different...do not touch it..

When running ensure it is not too lean...when.warm adjust HSN first with full throttle/high rom...then LSN with acceleration..when adjusting LSN you wil have to adjutt the slide gap.

Thanks mate, I'll give those setting a try tomorrow, see if its any better.

This will teach me not to mess about, wont it! Haha.

NO. :)

Hopefully you will have a mess about...then you can learn more than you will from some words on the internet....:)

Just keep messing and you will be able to do it with your eyes closed before you know it lol

Rob

Cheers for all of your help guys!

I'll update the thread tomorrow when I've tried the leaner settings, and let you know how I get on.

Tom

Edited by D9LVE

Had the same problem. People were saying crazy things like 5 turns out on the HSN but it wouldnt go.

It's 3.5 turns out for HSN (has the copper sleeve)

Half a mil out from flush on the LSN

For the slide gap i'd just use the trim until it runs for at least 60secs without dying.

• Like 1

Hi all.

I'd just like to thank everybody who took the time to write a response to me and help me in solving the issues I had. The information that was given to me was very helpful, and helped me to rectify my moment of stupidity.

I sorted the tuning out this morning, according to the advice given above by HenryM, and it fired up straight away. The idle needed some small adjustment, and it needed leaning off a touch,but I had that done in 10 minutes.

I made the most of the nice weather and a day off work by taking it to a local patch of wasteland (which has recently been dug up a bit and turned into a bit of a BMX track)... What a day!!

It still needs a bit of adjustment I think, it's running quite smokey, but I ran 5 tanks through it and had a great time.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Tom

• Like 2

Glad that it worked out for you

Hi all.

I'd just like to thank everybody who took the time to write a response to me and help me in solving the issues I had. The information that was given to me was very helpful, and helped me to rectify my moment of stupidity.

I sorted the tuning out this morning, according to the advice given above by HenryM, and it fired up straight away. The idle needed some small adjustment, and it needed leaning off a touch,but I had that done in 10 minutes.
I made the most of the nice weather and a day off work by taking it to a local patch of wasteland (which has recently been dug up a bit and turned into a bit of a BMX track)... What a day!!
It still needs a bit of adjustment I think, it's running quite smokey, but I ran 5 tanks through it and had a great time.

Thanks again everyone! :)
Tom