• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starting off with quadcopters

Renaultk4j

Hi guys and girls.

I've not long bought an FG Marder, and whilst I love it already, I don't really enjoy the attention the noise brings (standard pipe afaik) so am thinking of moving over to a quadcopter.

I don't know much of what I'm looking at, or where to start with them so if anyone could help out that would be awesome!

If you think a car attracts attention then wait till you start flying a helicopter in a public place. I've had crowds watching me fly my helis before. It's ok as long as they respect your need to concentrate but I've had idiots who thought it was it was funny to let the dog chase the heli. They laughed at me when I asked them to put it on a lead. They didn't laugh 4 minutes later when they were rushing to vets.

The noise of a car is intrusive and multi rotors sound like angry bees flying around, they really arn't that quite. Pick your site carefully and be cautious with fpv (there's some really bad press out there now, 18year old lad currently facing prosecution in France) Above all stay safe and never fly alone.

Edited by Joe Bailey

Thanks for the reply! Some awesome advice there, is it a bit dodgy regarding the fpv then? That was going to be one of the reasons I'd go for one, to watch the footage back and such. Any reason not to fly alone? I'm guessing either it looks like you're up to no good or that it's because they're worth a lot. Yeah the noise of the car I guess sounds a bit like a mx bike, so might draw the crowds in also, thanks again.

The main reason for not flying alone is safety, some one to keep an eye out while your flying and some one phone phone an ambulance (believe it or not the person most likely to be hit is the pilot) you can fpv but please be aware that the Civil aviation authority are now searching you tube for people flying outside there guidelines.

DJI Phantom is an awesome piece of kit.................But as Joe Bailey said you think an RC car attracts a crowd....lol flew my Phantom at Blackpool last year, within 10 seconds of it being in the air there was 50 odd people around me.  Had to hand catch it to land it