• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Going to give flight a go again.

After having a nine eagles sky eagle a few years ago and giving up after it starting playing up, i have decided to give flight another go. Im looking at the eflight apprentice s 15e RTF. I was going to buy a spekky dx7s as i want to learn indoor flying as well. Alot of the BNF indoors use the dx7s.

The eflite comes with a dx5. I wont want to use this if i have the dx7s so it seems pretty pointless buying a RTF apprentice when you are paying for the Tx. I like the SAFE equipment in the apprentice and that is why i chose it. Can you buy a good safe system for another plane? I have youtubed a few safe systems but they seen to be really glitchy and not as good as the apprentice.

Can anyone give me any advise on what to do?

Cheers

Matt

Cant comment on that model although I did look at the one's with the SAFE thing included, decided against it. That was for my 3rd plane after trashing the other two by crashing them.

I ended up being recommended the Bixler and plumped for the 1.1 as it appears to be the most sorted out of the 3 (1 / 1.1 / 2).

I love it, it can fly incredibly slowly or quickly, be upgraded easily for a bit more speed or wings chopped for serious fun. It's all foam so repairs pretty much only require some gorilla glue or similar. You can motor around on power for about 10mins (3s 2000mah) or send it up and just glide it around. The other thing is it works really well at slope soaring (have to disconnect motor as no power allowed at dasset). It's a totally different experience but quite rewarding not having power to get you out of trouble. It's quite interesting to learn about lift and thermals on the slopes.

I can understand why you'd want the SAFE system but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. You can limit the control throws on a DX7 and could add an orange flight stabiliser, although I don't think that would take it back to level flight like the panic mode on the SAFE.

My advice, forget the SAFE, buy a cheaper foamie and just get out there with it. There's a vid on this forum I think where someone had their very first flight with a bixler and flew it fine. I'm already pushing my skill level and have had it falling out of control but have got out of trouble by letting go of the sticks then just applying some elevator. I've also had it come in a quite hard a few times but it just bounces back and is ready to throw again. 

Get something cheap that won't be dear to fix if you crash. I started out with various models,,but a flyingwings.co.uk v trainer really helped me along, as it flew so slowly. They have some great kits, including the raven wing. Alternately if you'd rather not build, a hobbyking bixler, axn floater jet, or something similar would be a good bet. A motor not at the front is a good idea, as if you ding it, the motor and prop don't get damaged, which means you can try again!