• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

kyosho Scorpion XXL thread.

Tug

It's a lump of aluminium shaped to fit into the empty diff. Directly connects both drive boots and fits into the groves in the plastic bit of the diff to lock it directly to the drive. Its turned, and milled to fit but If you had a bar that fit inside the diff cut to length, hack saw two groves each end for the pins, then put a screw through the plastic part of the diff into the bar to lock it.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Well... 1 pack of fun then 50% slip on one wheel not good when it's a locked diff. Pulled it apart to find the aluminium had been crushed by the force of the pin, which had then pushed and deformed the plastic diff housing causing the slip at one end. My conclusion is that it's the plastic bit of the diff that's causing all the problems! Even with a normal diff. It's just not strong enough to keep everything exactly in place with the force that goes through it. bc55d9a9da12a7cc8e28880734895f43.jpg906af38d187eee77fede913e63029d99.jpg

had a costly day with my one first the steering servo went. was the stock one so no big lose .. then esc smoked ..

• 4 weeks later...

Lol great 2 wd, yeah a 4wd be a good addition, some day. My dad turned it for me, just had to wait for him to get back from holiday, didn't take long once he got into it. Will let you know how I get on, but after a bunch of consecutive blown diffs I'm holding onto my excitement for a few packs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys just after some help/advice on a scorpion. I have a hpi trophy truggy flux and I'm looking into getting one of these, the write ups seem pretty good and it should be a lot easier to do the servicing on it the that TT. I wondered what the differences are between the standard one and the Baja? Is it just the shell and the tires, or is it more than that? I'll be chucking the standard ones anyway by the sound of it because they aren't so good. I'll be running on some 45c 4s packs, what problems should I expect other than need to strip it down and loctite it all?? thanks. 

Hi guys just after some help/advice on a scorpion. I have a hpi trophy truggy flux and I'm looking into getting one of these, the write ups seem pretty good and it should be a lot easier to do the servicing on it the that TT. I wondered what the differences are between the standard one and the Baja? Is it just the shell and the tires, or is it more than that? I'll be chucking the standard ones anyway by the sound of it because they aren't so good. I'll be running on some 45c 4s packs, what problems should I expect other than need to strip it down and loctite it all?? thanks. 

The diff will need sorting, the stocker is appalling! Have you read up on the diff issue? 

Yeah need to get a CEN diff is that right? I'm sure there's a guide in here i'll have to have a look for the link. I have had the same problems with my TT, but there's 3 of the buggers in that .That's why I want a 2wd. Does the gearbox cause any issues or just the diff? Is it a good idea to swap to the universal joints as well? I notice damage to the drive cups in my TT on 4s .

Think I've found a CEN diff. it doesn't matter if it's a front rear or centre does it? How much should they be? seem hard to find. And what real differences  are there between the different types? Just missed out on a Baja from Germany for 370 .Don't want to order from USA.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I'm new here and although no expert I'm not entirely new to RC.

I've been looking at the Scorpion XXL as a possible purchase and reading some of the information in this thread with interest (haven't read it all though yet). Diff problems aside, is there anything else experienced owners would recommend might need attending to soon after purchase?

I anticipate pulling it apart and reassembling with Loctite. While it's apart is it worth installing ball-races? Any other weak stock parts that would benefit from an early upgrade? There's a bit of talk about tyres - what's recommended?

For info it'll only be a casual basher and I will probably run with the stock motor/esc/3 or 4S lipos for a while.

Anyone got any good sources for spares and upgrades, etc that they wish to share?