• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Jim-Bob's Baja 5b Build

Jim-Bob

Noj I did warm this would be the slowest build ever! Lol

I'm with with TW on this one slowly but surely!

I have in fact had another half an hour on it tonight so the front end is coming on well now...

254D2694-FCDB-4B59-A02B-9305D1CEECAA.jpg

However I've hit my first problem, I'm using the I-RC hinge pins and the bolts that hold the pins in foil the steering linkage?! Anyone else had this before or am I missing something?

09878FD5-81A7-4C70-968D-EECD57457B2E.jpg

I know the steering linkage shouldn't technically be on but as I brought it fully assembled and it self destructs if I don't keep it in one piece!

James

Edited by Jim-Bob

this was a problem in the v1 hinge pins.

there should be 2 button head screws in the packet, they are ment to be there instead of the cap ones you got there now, they let the steering wipers clear the screws and work correctly

sheila had the same issue as v1 hinge pins, ruby got the v2 ones and i fitted the button head screws.

this was a problem in the v1 hinge pins.

there should be 2 button head screws in the packet, they are ment to be there instead of the cap ones you got there now, they let the steering wipers clear the screws and work correctly

sheila had the same issue as v1 hinge pins, ruby got the v2 ones and i fitted the button head screws.

Ah I was rushing and didn't realise until after I'd fitted them and packed everything away about the clearance issue, these are the V2's so I'll have to find and swap the screws over, cheers mate!

However I've hit my first problem, I'm using the I-RC hinge pins and the bolts that hold the pins in foil the steering linkage?! Anyone else had this before or am I missing something?

09878FD5-81A7-4C70-968D-EECD57457B2E.jpg

I know the steering linkage shouldn't technically be on but as I brought it fully assembled and it self destructs if I don't keep it in one piece!

James

i had the same thing happen today with my irc pins and tw is right you use the other screw`s but you may need a shim on the front side as the pins may move backwards i used some plastic shims i had lying around so mine wont move back

Edited by mini-z-awd

i had the same thing happen today with my irc pins and tw is right you use the other screw`s but you may need a shim on the front side as the pins may movebackwards i used some plastic shims i had lying around so mine wont move back

Mine need a very small shim, think I'll double up the front washers that should be enough looking at it :)

should do the job nicely the one i used was roughly 1/2mm if that

Do they all need shimming or is just the lower fronts?

Might need to get some more washers if they all need a shim!

Do they all need shimming or is just the lower fronts?

Might need to get some more washers if they all need a shim!

iam not sure iam just running the bottom ones fro now but here`s what from rob at irc sent me in email when i queried my ones.

dont forget we have to allow abit of room due to errors in HPI moldings

and also any aftermarket parts ud not belive some of the sizes they work

to, but we had not had any other people say they have issues fitting

them etc...

Edited by mini-z-awd

iam not sure iam just running the bottom ones fro now but here`s what from rob at irc sent me in email when i queried my ones.dont forget we have to allow abit of room due to errors in HPI moldingsand also any aftermarket parts ud not belive some of the sizes they workto, but we had not had any other people say they have issues fittingthem etc...

Fair enough, if the arms fit tight on their mounts (which my arms definitely do) then a little movement in the pins won't make any difference, except where clearance is an issue I guess?

I'll fit all of mine in time and will probably shim any that need it just for aesthetics if nothing else!

Need to measure the hinge pin washers and upper arm bolt too and buy some washers for shimming the baja up nicely!

it only a problem with the front lowers due to the steering set up i got a washer on the fronts of mine just to stop them slipping back too far and locking the steering up (had it happen before, baja ended up under a mondeo)

the rest of them can be shimmed if you want but there is nothing they can touch and get in a way of so not alot of point in it.

it only a problem with the front lowers due to the steering set up i got a washer on the fronts of mine just to stop them slipping back too far and locking the steering up (had it happen before, baja ended up under a mondeo)

the rest of them can be shimmed if you want but there is nothing they can touch and get in a way of so not alot of point in it.

Cheers bud, if I can find some suitable washers in bulk I'll shim the lot if not I'll leave the gaps as they come!

Need some washers for front upper camber shims anyway so hopefully they are all the same size (they look it but not measured them) and I can buy a pack of 30(ish)

Got a bit more done tonight, had about an hour and a half on it, hoped to get a bit further than I did but didn't realise how fiddly the hubs are on your first attempt!

This is how it stands at the moment (steering arms and upper arm rod ends need adjusting/setting up at some point but they are on for now so I could carry on!

84D53FCB-7A4D-406E-A1B6-C987F530B7F4.jpg

3AAFA031-FEE9-4337-B576-990D793E9512.jpg

Mr-m steering arm and GM rod ends close up:

B7A456F2-F402-4344-AD6A-0A84C6C54C91.jpg

Few bits I'm not happy with, first is just cosmetic but the hub bolts need swapping round so just the bolt heads are showing not the thread and nut:

56CB20FC-04DB-4EE7-A195-A2AC893C7DD1.jpg

Next is the gap on the front lower hinge pins/arms, is this normal and ok or do I need to pack/shim it out? The upper arm has a gap of about 1mm which allows a bit of twisting is that acceptable or again needing shimming?

1EE69D11-709C-46E4-B958-FEB35E27F799.jpg

Lastly for now are the clipless vertigo extenders, there's at least 1mm of movement between the hex and the bearing which I guess definitely shouldn't be there as the hex moves enough without a wheel on it and sat stationary?!

BFC0FF09-C346-47E8-809B-F53A8069439A.jpg

6E66C9DA-EAB5-4F60-8ED8-C4557F1BB539.jpg

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

James

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more bits done last night, but I'm out of bits to fit now :(

RPM front bumper and IRC chassis brace now on:

E1467D48-8752-4D37-BD03-34EAC07996FD.jpg

Front hub bolts swapped round to keep it looking cleaner from the front:

6A168ACB-78FD-4DA1-A5C7-EAA1BAEB7AC8.jpg

Swingy P shock limiters fitted (1 is a touch long so I will have to get another lug and shorten the wire 2-3mm):

56D31227-9F79-4C04-BBD1-14FF4FC0B658.jpg

How the baja stands now:

3A56E67F-4E0E-4B26-BC51-3C3F18ACA507.jpg

Just need some washers to shim the front hubs, upper arm ends and hinge pins and I can start saving for the rear half!

James

looks great :)

Re the play in the front hub. mine had play both on stock hubs and darksoul hubs.

tfe do some shims the right size.

Cheers mate, I've got stock hubs to go on the vertigo extenders as well now and the play is the same, will look into the shims! If not an M12 washer will do the trick of they come thin enough...more research needed!