• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Budget-Maxx.

Tug

• 3 weeks later...

Have you got your bellcrank sorted?

There are a couple with a decent preload spring in, but non-adjustable, and there are a couple of adjustable ones as well.

Al.

Chassis has arrived...i think its time to build :yes: #

Picture073_zpsb5013c60.jpg

Nice chassis, I've been looking at the LCOG versions on ebay, so very tempting!

Looking forward to the build!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice chassis, I've been looking at the LCOG versions on ebay, so very tempting!

Looking forward to the build!

Do you not think it leaves the batteries a little exposed if the bashing gets a bit, erm, rough?

Some I've seen in the past have the batteries below the bottom line of bodyshells.

Al.

Do you not think it leaves the batteries a little exposed if the bashing gets a bit, erm, rough?

Some I've seen in the past have the batteries below the bottom line of bodyshells.

Al.

The one in the picture above is the updated version of the one I have. I've fitted both my Maxx trucks with battery boxes from the GV Cage, excellent boxes that'll comfortably take a 5000mah, 5s pack.

If I was to get the LCOG version, I'd transfer the boxes across, they really do hold the cells firmly.

Big changes last night. I've removed the UE chassis extension and reverted it back to stock wheelbase length.

This meant the GV battery boxes had to go, so the original battery cradles have been reinstalled. The offside cradle has been tweaked to allow the use of 3s packs, but standard length packs only! That's the only downside to the cradles, 140mm packs are all that'll fit. No big deal, there's no shortage of those in the RC world.

This does leave the packs exposed, ain't care! They're hardcase packs, so they'll look after themselves.

Having shortened the chassis, I decided I'd keep the Hummer shell and promptly set about cutting and drilling. It's washed and ready for painting, I'd like to go with a desert sand colour.

Pics later.

Latazz.

The UE monoblock.

20140531_110309.jpg

The Budget-Maxx as she now looks, shorter!

20140531_110335.jpg

20140531_110322.jpg

Here you can see where I've lowered the cradle at the front to allow the 3s packs to fit.

20140531_110350.jpg

The shell now fits perfectly. Painting this week.

20140531_110748.jpg

Just had a quick drive in the garden, definitely more prone to wheelie, but I can drive around that.

The Ally-Maxx has had a major change too! The UE block is now on that car making her 32mm longer.

20140531_112529.jpg

20140531_112535.jpg

All fitted.

20140531_142820.jpg

Looking far more scale with the rather large shell. Previously the shell hid the front bumper.

20140531_144152.jpg

20140531_144201.jpg

The biggest problem I had was the rear drive shaft, I needed something longer. I had in my parts bin a steel shaft from the ERBE, this was worn out, but a quick drilling later and it was repaired! This was still slightly short, but I shifted the gearbox back slightly and that made it a perfect fit. The front shaft was a Traxxas steel 16.8 volt shaft, now swapped over to a 14.4 volt shaft to make up for the gearbox move.

20140531_144210.jpg

Happy days. I'll get some testing done ASAP.

Well, the ally-Maxx chewed up its front diff. However, I've nearly got all the bits needed to revamp the UE diffs so that I can ditch the UE cups and do the stub-axle mod. Once done and field tested, I'll order rebuild kits for these diffs just so that I've got spares for when I need them.

The Budget-Maxx will have stock Traxxas diffs, but with the addition of the steel Crown gears I've just ordered. If these prove their worth, I'll order more and fit them to the ERBE.

Reports to follow.

Looking good mate...makes me wanna BUILDDDD! :thumbsup:

Cheers, really enjoying focusing on these trucks at the mo. Only a few small issues to attend to and they'll be "bomb-proof"! ;)

Where did you get the UE from??They are like chickens teeth and more expensive!

Only place you can get them is UE. I got mine in 2009, they're great diffs, but the cups are too short. Suicideneil put me onto a mod that involves Traxxas stub-axles. I'll shall be trying it soon, reports to follow.

Oh, forgot to mention, with duties and postage, they worked out at 100 notes each! :(

Only place you can get them is UE. I got mine in 2009, they're great diffs, but the cups are too short. Suicideneil put me onto a mod that involves Traxxas stub-axles. I'll shall be trying it soon, reports to follow.

Oh, forgot to mention, with duties and postage, they worked out at 100 notes each! :(

(falls down in amazement)

looking forward to a few vids...

• 2 weeks later...

Stub-axle mod is done on the ally-Maxx, just need some decent cups.

Received a package that should've contained two hardened steel Crown gears for the Budget-Maxx, but only contained one! Messaged the guy, he's sending out another. Another step closer to sorting the last and weakest link.

If I remember, it's to remove and replace the shorter UE out-drives with other manufacturer.

Seems Tug used Traxxas - I've read of Losi, Associated, others being used - longer.

Problem is trying to get the driveshafts to fit - they 'slop' with the UE out-drives.

Al.

The drive-cups on UE diffs are an integral part of the diff, so you're theoretically stuck with them. By using Traxxas stub-axles, you end up with two separate parts, the stub-axle that protrudes from the side of the diff and the drive-cup itself. This allows the use of longer cups, the stock UE cups are renowned for being too short and allowing CVDs or dogbones to drop out.

I meant to take pics as I did it, but ended up working in a hurry.

I've ordered longer cups, once they arrive I'll get the diffs fitted.

The UE diffs? Only place to get those is UE itself. Trouble is, I'm not sure he's still doing them. I've emailed recently about getting rebuild kits and was told he's busy with other projects and so can't afford the twenty grand minimum order! This makes me think the manufacturing is out-sourced, so who knows if he'll bother getting another batch done? Bummer all round! :(

I'll run mine until they give up, then it's down to these HK Crown gears (finger's are crossed these'll work) or the GPM gears that we've been linked to.