• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First time buyer

Dundas

a killswitch will kill the engine,

a failsafe will just put the brakes on.

I run both, but a failsafe is not 100% needed when running a killswitch. It just gives me extra peice of mind.

if your throttle servo breaks or linkage gets stuck, then it wont kill the engine and wont put the breaks on and it could go flat out into some think or even worse a small child and cause some serious injuries, or a adult and brake a bone it there leg. 

the two best killswitches are the switch blade made by Joly Rodger on here, or the killer rc supper bee.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/user/25607-jolly-roger-uk/ pm him direct to get it  little cheaper than ebay.

http://abbotsrc.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductId=3107005 Dearer than the switch blade.

both offer great customer service and happy to help.

Edited by (-:AD:-)

the FS is a MCD evo3 clone. Not a bad car but a bit dated. On the plus side Lauterbacher make some alloy upgrades for this at very reasonable prices. FS plastics are a bit questionable

http://www.lauterbacher.net/xtc/index.php?cat=c323_Carbon-Fighter---Graupner-MT-6---FS.html&XTCsid=65b2e2c4326230fcb4dee0168403f672

they are listed as conrad reely carbon fighter which is also a MCD clone. Parts are cheaper than MCD parts !!

Edited by norney hurtmore

Sorry I am going to say the Yama buggy is very good and loads of alloy as standard and a very quick engine as we'll and a lot of power in it and for 300 new rtr is a good price, my son uses it now and he likes it a lot lol the only thing I would say are the tyres they need to be better to thin I think for the power that has got and it's a good first 1/5th scale to get going and there is more alloy bits for it now, thanks

Thanks master mind, at the end of the day that is what I am looking for, something with enough power and structure to be fun, (obviously a little bit of re-building is all part of the fun!) So what would you say you would need as a must for a new yama? A killswitch would be needed presumably, and some new tyres at some point? But other than that for the first beginning baby steps would you change anything else?

All I changed on it was front upper alloy arms and a alloy bit that sits on top between them that's it ! The front tyres are ok it's the back as they are thin rubber so a set of marder rear wheels as looking for a set for my son lol and he drives like he stole it lol and it's still running as it should it is a good all round buggy and I would get one again lol and nitrotek I think sell all the parts for it and they sell them as we'll, and the engine has a lot of power as it twisted the inner drive shafts ends and needed new ones but they are cheep so would keep a spare set, it is still a good buggy and what ever 1/5th car or buggy everyone spends money on it ? But Yama buggy parts are cheep and it's only little things that need to be changed. Hope that helps mate .

Ok yer thats handy information, if the drive shafts are cheap then can get spares, do they do better quality upgraded shafts? Might get them and replace them when I have used the others! Ah do the marder wheels slip straight on? 

Hi mate I haven't tried fg ones drive shafts ? But MIT can't say 100% ? And yes the fg marder wheels do go on as tried a car wheel on the front and they fit ? Also I did upgrade the servos to hi-tec jumbo for the steering and a hi-tec standard one for throttle and brake and just did it as the ones did look that good but the did work ok it's just I do like using them lol and hoody stores do the standard one for

Edited by Master mind 123