• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

help needed on nitro engine

djandyh

hi all

am just about on my last legs with this force 28 engine, i got this engine second hand and ive must of used in in total 5 hours and it seens to never want to run right

iam new to this but ive done the following things

new glow plug

tuned it to factory and adjusted everything

new fuel lines

even a fuel filter

run nitro 20% fuel

but now it just keep cutting out when i put the throttle on, ive had it running ok a few weeks ago until ive just replaced the glow plug, its a os 8 one.

what am i doing wrong, the car am using is a hpi savage and its never pulled a wheelie yet and ive hear there good at doing that, ive even put a new gearbox on it to

help lol

if your on about the main shaft in the engine there no play with that part, when i turn the engine, there some stiffness in it when it reaches the top and it make like that clicking or popping sound but there is some oil in places, not loads, just had a look some cracks but cant see anything, gonna hope to get me car out tomorrow, had a good look on tuneing and some help as well so hopefully this will be it, its just bogs down under heavy throttle 

yep holding down on heavy throttle or opening up is a sign she is to rich.

like i mentioned i would look into a third of a turn in on the high speed needle.

get the engine running ( blip throttle ) , then PINCH the fuel line leading to the engine.

HOW long did it take for the engine to stop ? 5 seconds 10 seconds, a good while ?

none of the above it died right away ?

depending on how long it takes to shut down and stall once fuel line is pinched will 

let me rough guess how far in or out we need to adjust your idle screw / low speed needle.

OS engines were the mainstay in aircraft, take an engine made to run in the air and shove it into the ground based rc

its not going to preform to well. if i am right a force .21 is a ofna engine ( good make to ) and to what i can gather 

our OP is also running an Onfa  engine or a clone close to it.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

compression going awol would result in you not hearing that popping sound when you pull the starter cable.

you would also notice the engine is not sticky as we old dudes say ( the inside of the engine is slightly tapered)

so the piston does not get pinched by the barrel so much and means the engine is very free.

9-10 times if you loose compression you will know right away soon as you yank the cord.

you expect to feel that piston pinch but fall flat on your rear, what we call a loose engine aka the compression ( sleave inside the barrel is worn away).

5s is a little long so the idle needle needs screwing in 1/8th a turn ( a very small amount).

once adjusted start engine again and pinch the pipe, your wanting the engine to take around 3 seconds to shut down,

revs up then dies down and stalls. watch the vid again when he pinches the fuel pipe, but ignore the video. just listen to the engine sound.

this is how yours should sound when you pinch the pipe just like chap in video.

when yours does the same as his on the pipe pinch test.

you will have a good drive and open the engine up rpm wise.

if it still bogs down , then you adjust the HIGH SPEED NEED 1/8th a full turn INWARDS.

have a test , if it still bogs  you adjust the HIGHSPEED NEEDLE again and again a small 1/8th a full turn INWARDS.

keep doing this with the engine running until it starts to really fly along, hits the mid range then just flys.

once at this point bring truck back and turn the high speed needle OUTWARDS 1/16th of a full turn.

your tuned and ready to go , but remember come the summer time when the air is more hotter

you will have to retune your truck to summer time running.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

was looking at this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY1jnq_mt8g

my not clicky like that lol and its abit easyer to turn then his engine but i guess all engines are different, at the end of his video tho, i noticed he says the engine will be hard to start ones you used it abit and you leave it for 10 mins, it will start fine, my engine start like first or second pull ones it been on for a little bit, take it that a good sign then lol

yes good sign, personaly i think engine is just fine. 

the main problem is nitro is a begger, its not like electric, shove in a battery hit the gogoo juice

and your flying.

nitro is more like a fine lady, you have to treat her correct, be gentle and calming

and take your time. but when a nitro engine is running well it shows.

so its just a case of learning to tune and how to keep nitro's in good order

and understanding some days they will be a right pain, other days they will melt your heart 

and start first time run like a dream. 

you also have the weather to contend with, over time you will learn colder days itsa bit harder to keep them running

and on hot days they just will not tune up nice and be dog ragged all over the place trying to find a sweet spot tune.

haha like a lady, am a ****ing rough sometime lmfao, i live on a island and the frost is starting to hit now so its getting colder, live by the sea and that, am gonna try have a play tomorrow but i can see what you mean, ive felt like putting my size 10 boots on the car and burning it alive lol but there has been one day when i got a good half hour on a bmx track and it just cleared a 10 foot jump with easy and i was like, WOW but only ones, i did find this car in a tip but i got a diffrent engine and other bits to it, just fitted a new gearbox to it as well as the box was shafted, but having 2 kids and wanting daddy time all the time, i dont get much time with it, i work at a park with a bmx track, so i have a bash in the car park before having ago on the jump, i get half hour dinner brake so thats all i get lol