• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hostile rear Baja hubs, strange problem.

Feedtheinferno

After a slight panic that the bearings weren't sitting right in the hub: The front bearing when sitting in the hub isn't flush due the angle of the hub, one edge sits slightly higher than flush and due to mine being 4 degrees it's at it proudest.

After that was cleared up, a more pressing problem has presented it. It appears that the front bearings (new or old) don't stay in the hub, they aren't too small as the rear bearings stick nicely, they are sitting perfectly and yet just fall out. Has anyone had a similar problem? Or does anyone know if this will matter once the whole hub is together?

I have had this with clone hubs, but I use a thin smear of red threadlock around the bearing housing to stick it in place. If the bearing can spin in the housing it will potentially oval it out leading to wear.

Wouldn't expect Hostile hubs to be loose from new. Mine were lovely and tight....and were used when I got them.

I have had this with clone hubs, but I use a thin smear of red threadlock around the bearing housing to stick it in place. If the bearing can spin in the housing it will potentially oval it out leading to wear.

Wouldn't expect Hostile hubs to be loose from new. Mine were lovely and tight....and were used when I got them.

Well they are second hand and came with knackered bearings in them, the knackered ones were tight when getting them out and they are exactly the same size as the ones I am trying to get in.

These are definitely genuine hostiles too.

So essentially the bearing recess could be worn? I was thinking of thread-locking them lightly, the actual alignment when the fronts are in is perfect is just they fall out :/

Odd problem, i had a job getting bearings in brand new ones.

Are they the standard bearing or the over sized version?

Well again they are not brand new hubs but the bearings are brand new.

Oversized bearings as they are the Heavy duty hubs yeah.

The word 'shaft' always makes me lol.

Anyway, you can get some bearing locker and I've got a feeling its made by Team Fast Eddy so that might be worth a look. And just throwing this out there but where are the replacement bearings from? I'm just wondering if the old bearings were Hostile or Team Fast Eddy. Whether there would be a slight tolerance thing going on there I don't know but it might be worth a thought.

The word 'shaft' always makes me lol.

Anyway, you can get some bearing locker and I've got a feeling its made by Team Fast Eddy so that might be worth a look. And just throwing this out there but where are the replacement bearings from? I'm just wondering if the old bearings were Hostile or Team Fast Eddy. Whether there would be a slight tolerance thing going on there I don't know but it might be worth a thought.

Ah in that case....shaft

I have seen that stuff but its just a variant of theadlock as far as I can tell (the green stuff).

As for the bearings I have no idea as they were new spares that came with the hubs, but your right that may be the answer.

To find out though I would have to spend another

Edited by Feedtheinferno

Metal in metal will require a hammer and punch or heat it up to break down the bond. In plastics it's much easier to remove.

When I assemble parts I don't want them coming apart so I'm happy to spend time heating and using a hammer and punch to disassemble. I use it on pinions, diff pins, removes play in suspension pins, wheel hexes, wheels onto hexes, dog-bone cups onto the shafts and even bearings!

As an engineer I would be worried if a bearing didn't require force to remove it

• Like 1

OK so hostile have come back to me and its as Nitro said, they seem to have worn somehow so they have also suggested threadlocking the bearing in.

To be honest I am happy, have test fitted them and they look awesome so really hoped it could be sorted and it sounds a easy fix.

You sure you're ok keeping these Nick? I heartily apologize, I was not aware that they had worn so quickly.

Knock the cost of the threadlock from the next parts bill....if you still trust my spares anyway??!!??

You sure you're ok keeping these Nick? I heartily apologize, I was not aware that they had worn so quickly.

Knock the cost of the threadlock from the next parts bill....if you still trust my spares anyway??!!??

Nothing wrong with your spares at all dude! It's not a new part and I didn't pay a new price so its not the end of the world. I am more than happy to keep them as with the amount of gap they have in the hub, threadlock should keep them in there nicely :)

In regards to the cost of the threadlock cost, don't be silly dude I will pay the prices for your parts that we agreed I am more than happy too you have been very helpful, its all part of owning a baja. It wouldn't be fun if it was all easy! ;)