• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie Questions can't find answers to after searching

GordyB

Hi All

I've been helping my son build a self build condor 1/10th nitro kit and last week he finished it off. We went to our local model shop with the instruction manual and bought the fuel last weekend and have been trying to start it since.

This is his first kit and we thought it would be fun to build one instead of buying a fully built kit, however the engine, pullstart and flywheel assembly was pre built ready to install. It's a .18 engine.

We've managed to get it to start several times but it always just cuts straight out - probably 2 seconds is the longest it's ran for. Tried a hairdryer, tried taking out and testing the glowplug, tried making sure it wasn't hyrolocked, tried adjusting the needle screws etc. etc.. When it does run it seems very high speed and the wheels spin. With the battery power on and throttle trim adjusted the carb sits with a 1mm gap as instructed while we try to start it. 

Couple of things to ask as well as any guidance or suggestions.....

1 the fuel we were sold was called something like dynomax25 which I assume means it's 25%. The instructions, which the guy in the shop looked at, says run it on 16% - should I worry about this and will it make starting harder?

2 the fuel line can easily be primed by putting finger over exhaust or air filter inlet and pulling the hand start, but it's always full of bubbles in the fuel line to the carb, so I'm thinking something is letting air in - checked but can't see an issue - will this be causing problems or is it normal?

Can someone point me at some good pictures or videos about tuning, running in and starting please.

Thanks

Wer u from fella . i had someone who bought one of these new couldnt get it runnin right so left it in garage then through gf found out that i was in to rc and asked me to look at it . i set it up got it runnin . i had loads of fun with it . and was amazed as it just kept goin and goin......it will be your fuel settins ....do u no the high speed needle .low speed needle and the idle needle and wich ones are wich

North Lincolnshire...

And the fuel was called Duraglow 25 by modeltechnics - is this stuff correct for the condor we have?

As far as needles - a picture showing which is which would be great - I can only see 2 on this engine and you mention 3 in the post above so I guess I need to be shown what to adjust and what settings for each...

Thanks

OK, watched a couple of vids and found the other screw to adjust - under a sticker warning not to adjust!! Found a video who bought a pre built condor the same and took it out of the box and it fired straight up!! Tried following his "setting" but hasn't made a difference.

OK, glow plug is cherry red, low speed set to a 1mm gap with the throttle wide open, high speed set to 1.5 turns in from flush with the lip it sits in - these setting from youtube where the guy starts his straight out of the box!! Starts and runs for about 2-3 seconds then cuts out every time.

Had the same issue with my RC. It took over 3 hours and a lot of blood (seriously, pools of blood on the pavement dripping from my fingers) to start it for the first time.

What helped was turning off the RX, opening the throttle manually a bit, flooding the engine and then clearing it out by removing the plug, turning the car upside down and pulling on the pull-start few times (with fuel gushing through the radiator). After that, it finally "clicked", went to maximum RPMs (freaking scary for a noobie, throttle was opened too wide) and died. After that, it was starting a lot easier, with just some priming required and the glow plug loosened 1/4 of a turn.

Yeah flood and drain and fire her up.  Sure fire way to get her to ignite :)

How the compression by the way?  Does it hold it's own weight when you hold the only the shaft?

Got a pic of the plug,button and piston?

Afraid I don't know how to check this can you explain a little more please.....

Also, as no-one has mentioned it I assume air bubbles in the fuel line is OK and not causing it to die after a second or so of running?

Thanks

• Like 1

Im a noob virgin and YouTube solved 99% of my probs, including air bubbles in pipe.

Your symptoms sound just as I had.

Runs a treat now. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Im a noob virgin and YouTube solved 99% of my probs, including air bubbles in pipe.

Your symptoms sound just as I had.

Runs a treat now. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Care to share what you did while I look through youtube vids??

Thanks