• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

4WheelRC's SCX10 build thread: 'Project Lighting'.

4WheelRC

This video of a recent London Scale Trail Runners ('LSTR') competition event includes a few clips of my Rubicon in action (@1:20, 7:25, 10:05, 22:38). Shame about my learner driving, but I'm working on that! :blush:

• Like 1

Looks good. Not sure about the indicators though. I think I might find them annoying after the novelty wore off .

When I get home tonight I'll have a watch of the Scale Comp vid.

On a side note I have finally started working on my Rubicon Build. Its taken a while as when I finally settled on my list of changes the cost proved rather more than I'd allowed. Anyhow I have all the bits and its now started.  :thumbsup:

Looks good. Not sure about the indicators though. I think I might find them annoying after the novelty wore off .

When I get home tonight I'll have a watch of the Scale Comp vid.

On a side note I have finally started working on my Rubicon Build. Its taken a while as when I finally settled on my list of changes the cost proved rather more than I'd allowed. Anyhow I have all the bits and its now started.  :thumbsup:

Hey Rusty, yes the indicators can get a bit boring sometimes, but I have wired up the lighting to I can unplug them and if I like, plug them into the roof rack circuit instead (so they are like sidelights) :)

Good luck on your Rubicon build and I sympathise with how the costs spiral :whistling:

Here's a snap of my rubicon build so far. You're vids have played a part in how i'm developing it. Its not finished yet but i'd say im 3/4 of the way there.  Keep your vid coming :thumbsup:

Someone has been on the upgrades! Nice looking rig you have there, but who drives it? :)

Someone has been on the upgrades! Nice looking rig you have there, but who drives it? :)

The driver is one of the things i've left to do. along with the lights and winch. Then it'll be done. No-where near the quality build that you have achieved but i'm more than happy with the result i've managed.

And as for the upgrades. I had quite a few bits kicking around and the rest are mostly axial and rc4wd Aluminium bits from a certain Hong Kong based company that I have NEVER had to pay customs charges on :thumbsup:

Edited by rusty2493

• 2 weeks later...

I'm forever using magnets, pretty little magnets everywhere  :hahadance: How to magnet mount accessories on your RC model for a clean look and easy removal... Just be careful how much weight you add up high as you might mess up your centre of gravity a bit.

Edited by 4WheelRC

Hey folks, sorry for the lack of updates recently - Been busy with work etc. Hope to have some more running videos edited & uploaded soon :)

Also have also been busy turning the custom bodyshell mount plates I made up out of aluminium into a 3D CAD design and just got some printed in nylon. So if you want to mount your SCX10 bodyshell like I do (with no ugly posts sticking out and no need for body clips), checkout the website I just made for them: SCX10 Bodyshell Mount Plate.

Edited by 4WheelRC

Now that I have been driving the Rubicon a few times (including Class 2 competitions) here are my '1st thoughts' and some issues that need fixing... A few more update videos will follow once I have worked through suspension issues, wheel weights, tyre & foam etc. set-ups:

Edited by 4WheelRC

• 2 weeks later...

The Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 speed controller had to go: I never planned on using it in the SCX10 and as it is not a sensored brushless motor controller the very low speed control is not great, plus is it very noisy at low speeds. As I wanted to try out waterproofing using epoxy resin I thought I'd try a very cheap 'X-Car' brushless sensored ESC from HobbyKing...

... I have been running the X-Car ESC for a couple of months since filming this and overall it works great. But the 30% of throttle maximum drag brake is just not enough to hold my approx. 9lb truck on steep slopes :( But I have a solution in the works :)

Katness & Peeta are continuing their shake down rides with the Rubicon. Before they return to Sector 7 to find the mutated minions, they try the shocks in 'droop' and extra equipment in the trailer :)

Was out in the woods at the weekend having some fun... Bet our dog thinks I'm mad (I know my wife does already)! :)

gallery_30889_3250_331999.jpg

gallery_30889_3250_1042865.jpg

gallery_30889_3250_187479.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Love the videos and the attention to detail! I've been sat here laughing with keen interest for the last hour!

Glad you liked the videos :) Been a bit slack on build updates recently as been doing things on other RCs. I have a shed load of video footage to edit, so hope to get some updates done soon and then get back to Sector 7 ;)

That dash really looks great, just needs a driver :thumbsup:

After making a risk assessment, Peeta and Katness got out of the Rubicon while winching was in progress and waited at the top of the rise ;)  They are normally driving...

• Like 1

Another esc which would be worth considering getting is the Hobbywing Justock, that's what I'll be using in my SCX10. I've been running the same esc in my touring car with no problems for the past year & half. I took the esc apart and coated the circuit in Lazy Goo, put it back together, then coated the outside casing in Lazy Goo. It works a treat and has been run in the rain whilst raining plenty of times.

Another esc which would be worth considering getting is the Hobbywing Justock, that's what I'll be using in my SCX10. I've been running the same esc in my touring car with no problems for the past year & half. I took the esc apart and coated the circuit in Lazy Goo, put it back together, then coated the outside casing in Lazy Goo. It works a treat and has been run in the rain whilst raining plenty of times.

Thanks for the suggestion, 100% drag brake on that unit looks handy :) and it is a damn sight cheaper than the Tekin RS Gen2 I recently installed into the Rubicon (the HobbyKing X-Car ESC just did not have a strong enough drag brake for my rig). But and am very happy with the Tekin, so I'll stick with that until it breaks.