• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

4WheelRC's SCX10 build thread: 'Project Lighting'.

4WheelRC

Quick update: After completing the final fit on the Pro-Line floor pan (video to follow soon), I have been spending the last week+ singing this song...

4WheelRC's Wiring Song:

Plan and cut the wires with a pair of snips,
Solder the ends together,
Use pliers or you'll burn your finger tips.
Do it well and the joint will last forever.

Align the heatshrink tubing over the wire joint.
Shrink it down with a naked flame.
What do you mean you forgot to slide it on, oh what is the point!?!
Now unsolder the wires and start again!

Now Plastidip the ends of the heatshrink tube.
We'll waterproof this SCX10, it'll be such a laugh.
I can video it and put it on YouTube.
But I'm not sure my wife will approve if I use the bath!

:hahadance:

Edited by 4WheelRC

Axial SCX10 Leaking Shocks Solved (80%): I'm calling time on my experiment to solve the (3 out of 4) leaking shock absorbers on my SCX10 Rubicon: A month after replacing the Axial O-rings with "Tamiya 50597 Damper O-rings (10pcs)." the results are in...

In summary the Tamiya O-rings make a big difference to the rate of oil loss from the dampers. They are not a perfect 100% leak free fix, but a huge improvement for a low cost. However they are tricky to install. Here is a video on the leaks, the new orings and the results:

Thanks to 'BigGaz' for suggesting the Tamiya 50597 O-rings :thumbsup:

Floorpan is done (video to follow soon). Yay!

Final fit of electrics is done (video to follow after the above). Yay!

Just fried my ESC following a submersion test. Boo!  :whistling:  I'll share the embarrassment in a future video :blush: ... Serves me right for assuming Novak put all the sensitive bits of the Timbuk2 ESC inside the sealed part of the ESC (which they don't), DOH!

Edited by 4WheelRC

• 2 weeks later...

This section of my build is about to get more than a little wet! Disclaimer: Please read the description on the following video and don't put your RC model into water unless you are 100% sure it is prepared for it - I fried an ESC in the making this section of my build  :blush: 

In love with this thread lol,one of the best SCX10 builds i have seen :good:

Awww fanx 53HRA :thumbsup:   Lots more in the pipeline - I'm laying down coats of liquid mask on the bodyshell just now, then after painting, the world of scale accessories awaits! After that I can put the Rubicon through its paces with some technical challenges and I have some rather special upgrades planned after that. Not to mention Peeta & Katness and their mission to rescue the mutated minions :hahadance:

Edited by 4WheelRC

At last someone gets it! :first:

Well, I kinda get it. I only looked Hunger Games up cos I wanted to know what all the fuss was about lol. 

While the Plastidip is drying for the rest of the waterproofing and the liquid mask is drying on the bodyshell...  :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3wRpkQCcI

Edited by 4WheelRC

I'll get the videos for the final wiring & under water tests posted soon. Right now I am preparing the bodyshell for painting: 3 coats of liquid mask applied... Now marking out where to cut and numbering the order in which I will peel bits of liquid mask off. I hope this all goes to plan, I have had to write myself an instruction list for the cutting, peeling & painting steps! :shockingscary:

gallery_30889_2994_534389.jpg

1) I am loving liquid mask!  2) I am loving Tamiya's PS-55 'Flat Clear' paint for making shiny polycarbonate look matt and   3) I am loving my wife for being so patient with me last weekend while I got all the liquid mask cutting, spraying & peeling done  :thumbsup:  I'll do a video on this once I get all the 'hardware & stickers on the bodyshell...

gallery_30889_2994_518138.jpg

gallery_30889_2994_1027037.jpg

• Like 1

Last proofing & wiring steps before we submerge the SCX10 Rubicon (coming in the next video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmsxZLldgo

And now the culmination of weeks of wiring and waterproofing, but it does not quite go to plan...

Drum roll! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHMydlW7j0

Edited by 4WheelRC

Looking VERY nice mate! :)

How do you think the frosted/matte paint will hold up? Is it all on the outside of the shell? Wondering if its something that will be a PITA to "touch up" after a knock or roll. Either way, I've got to do it! ;)

Since watching your floorpan videos I REALLY want one for my Rubicon! Such a shame they're discontinued, as seems like something that could be very popular! Guess I'll have to look for bodge job alternatives lol. :(

Oh and the "Water Torture" video is nuts!!! Haha I didn't quite realise how deep it was when you mentioned sticking it in the bath.. oh my!! :lol:

Edited by TrickyTris

@Tris: Glad you liked the video :)  Not too worried about the PS-55 (for the matt black finish), as if it does scratch I think a localised 'puff' should do the trick and hey, it is going to get some 'trail scars'! But my Plan B (if it doesn't wear well is to spray Plastidip the black on the roof as that is tough as nails and scratch resistant. I have already sprayed Plastidip on the inside of the shell to protect the paint against rubbing from wires etc. and that dried to quite a nice finish.

Edited by 4WheelRC

@oodboo: PS-55 is sprayed on the outside of the bodyshell. So you have your normal "darkest colour first..." painting done on the inside, then off with the overspray film on the outside, then mask up the outside and PS-55 what you want to look matt. I'll be doing a video on this soon, or checkout my earlier video where I did PS-55 on the outside of the floorpan:

Edited by 4WheelRC

@oodboo: Thanks! It is really good to hear that the videos are useful. The first few were just a bit of fun as I wanted to try out stop-animation, then after spending hours (well probably days!) researching upgrades, scale accessories, LED wiring etc. & then solving build problems and how to get various things working together, I thought I would try and leave a 'resource' out there that could help others by consolidating the huge amount of information on the Internet (scale truck information, not the whole Internet. Maybe I'll work on that another time ;) ).

Enjoy watching the videos, there is no rush and I hope some fun running ones planned for the future :)

Edited by 4WheelRC
  • Like 1

@Tris: Glad you liked the video :)  Not too worried about the PS-55 (for the matt black finish), as if it does scratch I think a localised 'puff' should do the trick and hey, it is going to get some 'trail scars'! But my Plan B (if it doesn't wear well is to spray Plastidip the black on the roof as that is tough as nails and scratch resistant. I have already sprayed Plastidip on the inside of the shell to protect the paint against rubbing from wires etc. and that dried to quite a nice finish.

Nice one, that's good to know! :) I'll definitely be using some plastidip on the inside. No way am I risking flaky or scratched paint with how much time this is taking! :lol:

Got to say, I'm glad I watched your bodyshell videos as I would have made some rather annoying mistakes otherwise! :yes:  I'm aiming to have the majority of painting done this weekend, all except for the "matte" finish. So when I do I'll share a pic or two with you and see what you think!

(Oh yeah, what do you know about painting the outside of the bodyshell, like DJMedic did with his D90? Tempted to do this for that little extra detail around door hinges etc..)