• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Short course shell help needed

Peter Griffin

Hi fellas, i'm thinking about converting my hyper 7 to a short course. I need help choosing an sc shell that'll be a good fit. I can sort the body mounts out but i don't want to buy a shell that's just wrong. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. John.

Pretty much any 1/10 scale short course shell will go on...they are fairly flexible in terms of length....check your wheelbase...and check the wheelbase on any car the shell is meant to fit...that will give you a guide.

The problem, however, is width. the buggy will be too wide and the wheels will be outside the shell. Not anything you can do about this. This forces you to mount the shell a bit higher too. The other issue is the 17mm hexes...which force you to use the buggy wheels, which are larger than the shell is designed for. Makes the shell have to sit higher as well.

It's easy to drop an SC shell on the Hyper....I did it with a 1/8 buggy... it's just not very successful. You end up with a tall car that rolls easy.

Better results have been had using a truggy chassis, with shorter buggy arms and a 1/8 SC shell. Bez did one with a Hong Nor truggy chassis, Hong Nor buggy suspension and an SC8 shell. Looked and worked really well. As it was larger, the buggy sized wheels looked the proper size, and it sat and drove like it ought.

Bit more involved than you were planning perhaps....but you get out what you put in with a project like this.

I did pretty much what Bez did and built a 1/8 SCT, but I used a Hyper ST chassis with Hyper 7 arms etc. I used SC8 wheels too, they use a 17mm hex but normal short course tyres. See the link in my sig for the build thread.

Edited by DreXeL

Thanks fellas, that's really helpful information. I shall look into doing something similar to what Bez did. If not, i'll just buy a short course. I've been looking at a few but can't decide which one i would buy.