• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Truckenstien, IT'S AH-LIIIVE !

barnetbasher

Originally my piece of poo kyosho twin force....bought on a whim 5 years ago as I wanted a self build monster and tamiya seemed too basic to assemble..it was a treat to myself as my 1st son was due and I had 6 weeks of down time to enjoy !

Will get more pics of the guts of it when i get time....and when photobucket works !

Its first long term test today after the new shocks and body mounts were done (courtesy of Lakie on here)

In short...its a total crowd pleaser...wheelies if you want it to for as long as i want it to...I can tail slide it if my skill allows (on and off)

It jumps...crawls....and is as quick as most leccy stuff its size ...pretty much limited it to 4s as the humungous tyres already need loops of fishing line round them as well as gorilla tape to keep them from being destroyed...

Black paint job and decals to follow (heavy left thumb can you do scary monster writing like Frankenstien comics etc?)

hope it pleases the eye as much as it pleases me to drive !

Photo02781_zps9d5c88d0.jpg

ha thanks Reginald...and yes its a folly of vanity !

any sensible man would have junked it...saved countless hours and sovs and bought a decent truck like a savage...

but i passed the point of no return once I gave up trying to get TimeTunnel to exchange ESC #3 for nothing (pants brushed one with two motor outputs) and paid to upgrade to brushless (Mtroniks G2) and lipos...

and when your mrs only ever says "that thing is always broken i dont know why you bother" that was red flag to a bull !

If you look at Nitroholic's Mad force...he did all my work in about 2 weeks ...took me 3 years to work out how to fix its many faults !

No one on here had one...so I found most things out by accident !

• Like 1

As it is now ? fair point...as it was...I wouldn't wish it on anyone ! (except maybe Katie Hopkins-Google her and you'll understand)

Weak points as stock...

Electrics (kyosho must sub the manufacture out to drunk monkeys)

Suspension arms.. bend at the slightest stress or even just the torque...dog bone comes out and instantly lost in grass

Steering knuckles-bone china

Hub carriers....snap at any cartwheeling...spares not pricey but very very hard to get quickly

Diffs..cheese...and get this ...just one pair of internals per diff.

Slipper system...flexes under torque so strips about once a month.

Wheelie bar..plastic and bendy....sticks straight out so very open to taking cartwheel impact...snaps eventually...oh an it uses hard plastic littlle wheels which grind down and become useless

Dog bones...too shorth so they partly come out of the drive cups on steering so end up taking chunks out of them.

Steering system...uses about 12ty rods leading from the mid mounted servo...down to the servo saver an back again...I think Kyosho had a job lot of 2mm metal rod to use up.

Axles are same as hyper ones...but kyosho brazed (yes brazed) on a 5mm bolt to the end...and changed the hex size to something that no other RC uses...the wheels had to have a plastic sleeve to slip over them. madness !

So i snapped two axles pretty easily.

All that is left of the stock truck is the motor plate....and one batt tray..which has been chopped to allow a single 4s pack or pair of 2s

Its longer and wider than stock too...TVPs are Alza made...I just roughed out some measurements.

its barn door engineering all round...but that means I can fix pretty much anything using stuff from a litter bin !

No point at all in trying to make it sophisticated ...swing arm trucks are only ever crawlers or stunt vehicles...

Very nice, not seen this for a while, had big joe's last time.

Any decent vids??

Andy

:thumbsup:

Kept snapping shocks andy...not enough cushioning...plus the doughnuts make it more planted..

Vid will be shot in the near future....mrs not into it and Milo is too young to hold cam steady !

• 2 weeks later...

hey peeps...couple of decent long test runs and Truckenstein is proving fabulous...

couldnt resist ragging it round the woods today just as some kids were passing...

must have had 15 peeps going "WOAAAAH" ...

nearly drowned it in a stream (it crawls really well considering

Managed a couple of vid clips....should have some really decent ones after the bash this weekend when I have camermen !

th_Video00041_zpsfd9001fe.jpg

th_video00021_zpseaf32acf.jpg

once it's clean i'll get some detailed pics of the mods and general layout of it 

NLB bash yesterday...Truck was EPIC fun...

I think i'll try some thinner shock oil to see if becomes less bouncy but it is such fun...

Just lost a couple of body mounts and split the rear wheelarch doing backflips...

Bolt came out of the steering knuckle (thread has stripped so its gorilla glue time)

Went a bit mad at the end and ran it 5s (easier to fit a 5s pack rather than matching up  2 x 2s)

It's mental fast but the tyres wont last if I do it all the time...fishing wire loops around them broke (3 out of the 4)

So nice to have just minor fixes after an all day bash....

it used to come back with fried electrics...mashed diffs and snapped swing arms ...also used to break knuckles or snap wheel axles...

not done that for a year or so since I popped the ally ones on from RC4WD (dirt cheap too)

Here is a short clip showing it having a frolic (and leaving a Neo for dead  :xd: )

Edited by barnetbasher
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Jack..it is !

thinner oil in shocks now...just need to patch up some splits in the shell (backflips) I knew that was being filmed so went a bit mad !

The tyres popped off the fishing line hoops I had glued round them so might look at getting some thin ally hoops made up 

• 2 weeks later...

CHRIS ! how is life in Exhile ?

Its the finished article dude....next step is to get some very thin metal hoops made for the front tyres....so they dont balloon to buggery ! (yes gorilla belted AND fishing wire loops round the outside..which lasted less than 1 bash)

PS recognise those lovely shocks ?

Aye, spied them shocks a mile off :tease:

Metal hoops? yer kinky sod lol.  Get some of Mr Makers gloopy glue, seen it on telly, works a treat...if balloning when your setting off get some weights on the front end, remember the LST2.8, had to put a 6s lipo in the front to try and keep it down. 

Exile...its a long long story, but in short just for holidays, for now.  Building something next year, with wood, possibly a shed maybe a boat as its up top of a mountain.

lordy you hippy ! ha ! ...you still in blighty then ? come along to the next bash !

its not weight at the front end...i can stop it wheelieing with throttle...its just the tyres...they are so tall...the sidewalls have no strength...

lordy you hippy ! ha ! ...you still in blighty then ? come along to the next bash !

its not weight at the front end...i can stop it wheelieing with throttle...its just the tyres...they are so tall...the sidewalls have no strength...

Hippy my a$$, Yes most of time, yes..just need some more lipos for the little stampede vxl I recently bought. 

Ahhhh, get you now :whistling: ...get smaller tyres  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...