• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slash platinum?

Oh, and ESC fan added. Was pleasantly surprised to find she had the Alu bearing adapter already, but then she is the ultimate! Just means I have a spare. :)

• Like 1

Good to see you both got them! Now get out there & get bashing! There great fun & jump very well too IMO. I'll be taking mine Sunday, but 3s only from now on, 2s is too underwhelming.

2s is ok on tarmac but the backflips need 3!

3s is the sweet spot IMO, I found 2s dull and I'd reckon that on 4s she'd be airborne before half throttle :lol:

Enjoy lads :good:

Had allotta fun in my garden on the nimh battery 4200 that came with it and even more with the lipo 2s, I'm gonna have to get some spring socks and a fan for the ESU as she runs pretty hot, haven't linked to my iphone yet as I have a 5 and suppose I'll need an adaptor! Spent most of the night reading up about this Slash, gonna bash till it breaks :-)

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I have noticed is both these trucks have the older style velineon system in ?? Is this why tower punch out the saving codes to encourage folks to buy up the old stock?? .

Apparently the new system runs a lot cooler and has a different case to the esc which now supports 3 larger capacitors and no sensor port the motor has been upgraded too with stronger magnets and along with different wires ? Amongst other bits but these make it stand out so it's easy to spot ..

do you have a link to the new VXL   as the only release i have seen is the new 6s  ESC and motor for the revo size trucks.  but would be good if they got rid of that older VXL  

• 1 month later...

Just got a Ultimate from Tower Hobbies. Got the Special edition Ultimate (2 Lipos included instead of 1), an ESC Fan and Tekno Drive shaft all for

Edited by Jforce

Will get pictures from inside when get home, mine has the original VXL system though as my motor wires are not braided, will find the pictures on the net from the guy that had old and new motor side by side and opened up to show difference.

rKaCEE.jpg     t0IYeD.jpg

Here are the pictures of the unconfirmed newer VXL system. The guy who took pictures of them taken apart said in comparison on same battery was like the old was a nimh and new was a 3S lipo. Seems the Platinum models (6804R) one way to find out if the model has it is go to http://buy.traxxas.com/default.php?cPath=10691 then check in spares and see if it has the motor model ending R. Seems so far that all the ultimate editions only come with older systems. This is still not confirmed by traxxas although both motors on their parts page.

Unconfirmed New 4 pole not listed on the front products page - http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info.php?cPath=10691_19429_19883&products_id=1001479

3351R.jpg

Different ESC listed on the front products page, does not support brushed or semsored motors like the old system http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info.php?products_id=1001481

3355R.jpg

Older motor - http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info.php?cPath=10691_19625_19793&products_id=5665

3351.jpg

Older ESC

VXL-3s_nowires_o.jpg

Saw a motor only on ebay for

Edited by Jforce
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did yours come with the newer motor and esc ?? Watch out you don't get a custom bill in the next few weeks sometimes when using non royal mail other couriers  bill you later, not happened to me but some of the guys on here have had it happen!! 

No it has the older system, cross my fingers that don't get charged. Thinking about a MMP SCT and 1415 or 1410 motor, or get the funny car motor which is a 1415 motor but they much cheaper.

Edited by Jforce

• 2 months later...

Did you ever get the dreaded import tax bill? Or do you think it was included in the higher priced postage?

Cheers.

No never did get a tax bill for it, I'm not sure if I was just lucky or if it was included.

Can the new VXL genuinely handle 3s? ;)

The old one could! I still run 3S on my both mine Slash 4x4 - have done since I got first one 2 and 1/2 years ago and the new one at beginning of this year! Not even bothered changing gearing on new one and its fine.  :thumbsup:  Yes I do get some red lights now and then on the ESC, but quick off and then back on and all good. I did put fans on both right away and run telemetry so if it gets over 150 I stop it to cool down a bit - that may be how I have had them last!!

The old one could! I still run 3S on my both mine Slash 4x4 - have done since I got first one 2 and 1/2 years ago and the new one at beginning of this year! Not even bothered changing gearing on new one and its fine.  :thumbsup:  Yes I do get some red lights now and then on the ESC, but quick off and then back on and all good. I did put fans on both right away and run telemetry so if it gets over 150 I stop it to cool down a bit - that may be how I have had them last!!

Interesting, I cooked both my motor and ESC within about 5 packs on 3s! I was sent a replacement which I ran for a pack before I sold them on :sly:

Since installed a 1/8 motor coupled with the WP SC8 and never looked back! :D

I personally had a bit of trouble on 3s with the VXL system, it ran too hot where I bashed & cut out regularly, my next plan will involve a sc8 esc.

This ^