• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maybe cooked

barneyblue

Right so took the car out and after a few mins lost power on topend and really bogged out

On taking the motor out found the head gasket toast and this was inside.

think the piston is toast but not sure about the head

B

20130803_175044.jpg20130803_175107.jpg

Ya mate. That loiks pretty cooked to me. The carb may have been a bit lean and damaged the topend. Id open up the crankcase and have a look at the bearings and do a general clean up of the bottom end. Id have a look at some headkits. Im sure somebody on here will be able to give you some more reasons as to why it may have happened but id definately invest in a new topend. Good luck

Hi,if they were mine,i would be using them both again,the piston has just got a fine deposit of carbon on it as far as I can see,good clean should see it ok,i would also give the head a good clean  also,have seen a lot worse parts than them,and still running.

Goldman :030:

• Like 2

i agree with goldman.

that black stuff is just carbon build up, it can effect engine running but it won't kill it, however i would look at getting it off before it build up too much and does actualy start causing issues.

as for your problem there are afew things that could cause it, if it was mind i would start with the carb, making sure your needle setting are right and not too lean, then go on from there, working from the carb to the engine itself.

Hi ,I don't think taking the head off was required, I think the problem is the HSN is set too lean,so it bogged,opened up a small amount was prob all it needed ,it dosent take a lot to go lean,but once at that just open it up,to be honest there is not much carbon build up on the parts,but may as well clean it off now its in bits.The bottom end should be fine,no need to mess with it at all.

Goldman :030:

Cheers for your replies

I originally took the motor out as i was going to change the ring and gaskets as they have not been done before thats

when i found the gasket destroyed and piston like this.

I run a 25% mix so dont think it was the mix but when i put it all back together i will reset the carb and check all for leaks.

B