• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BAJA UPGRADES

BASS 666

hi guys this is my first post as im new on here. I have been into nitro cars for a while and im gonna buy a Baja 5bss kit and build it in the next few weeks. I used to build nitro helis for my local hobby shop so I know what im doing. my question is ( I think you know whats coming ) is there anything I should upgrade or do when im building it. I know about the mesh mod and the kill switch is there anything else. does the frame break and is there a metal frame. instead of the mesh mod are the covers on ebay any good. thanks guys and im sorry if this has been done to death.. gary..

hi guys this is my first post as im new on here. I have been into nitro cars for a while and im gonna buy a Baja 5bss kit and build it in the next few weeks. I used to build nitro helis for my local hobby shop so I know what im doing. my question is ( I think you know whats coming ) is there anything I should upgrade or do when im building it. I know about the mesh mod and the kill switch is there anything else. does the frame break and is there a metal frame. instead of the mesh mod are the covers on ebay any good. thanks guys and im sorry if this has been done to death.. gary..

Hey bud :). Yeah you got the basics covered killswitch etc :thumbsup::D.Yeah the covers are good on eBay but would go for outerwares there the best brand in my personal opinion :).

hi guys this is my first post as im new on here. I have been into nitro cars for a while and im gonna buy a Baja 5bss kit and build it in the next few weeks. I used to build nitro helis for my local hobby shop so I know what im doing. my question is ( I think you know whats coming ) is there anything I should upgrade or do when im building it. I know about the mesh mod and the kill switch is there anything else. does the frame break and is there a metal frame. instead of the mesh mod are the covers on ebay any good. thanks guys and im sorry if this has been done to death.. gary.

You can save yourself cash by getting a KM and you still have a lot of cash for upgrades!

• Like 1

+1 for KM

KM are growing in popularity rapidly because of their spec over the HPI, massively improved quality and major value for money. At least 5 members on here have bought one in the last week or so myself included. In fact i was looking at getting the 5b ss myself til another member (with very little effort on his part lol) convinced me to get one and within hours, did.

Received it yesterday and gave it a check over and found only a couple of important screws to be lacking thread lock, all the shocks were filled properly, and the transmission was properly oiled and greased.

Check out www.rcmodelz.co.uk to check out the specs of the the various bajas.

Think may be convinced too

Good on ya. I own both sorts and a genuine HPI bought 2nd hand will outclass the slanty eyed menace :D

well im new on here and I don't want to upset anyone but that's what I think. I have never bought a copy of anything..

• Like 2

You got the main thing covered, a kill switch. Nothing like seeing your pride and joy fly off on it's own at full chat and there's nothing you can do about it. 

Certainly do the mesh mod on the crank case and get a pull-start cover, it'll save you a lot of time in cleaning when you've been running grass. An Outerwears for the air-filter is a must if you plan on bashing in dusty conditions. 

Be prepared to replace the steering servo, the stock one in my SS didn't last long before it stripped teeth. 

Do l still need an outerwear if l have double air filter and the inside one is properly oiled. I always thought thats why rc cars has double filters. The outside one stops bigger stuff and inside stops dust and smaller particals which sticks to oil.

Could anyone explain a bit more about mesh mod on a crancase please. How it's done?

It's not 'needed' as such but it does help stop the air filter from getting clogged. Where we bash can get seriously dusty and the filter want's scrubbing after every outing and that's with an outerwears on top. 

Get some fine mesh from Halfords and stick it to the crankcase with epoxy glue. Stops all the crap getting inside. Although fairly pointless without a cover on the pullstart too.

l know about the pull star mesh mode and probs will do it this friday, but never heard about the crankcase one. is there anything else l can use instead of epoxy?

Edited by rytis

It's not 'needed' as such but it does help stop the air filter from getting clogged. Where we bash can get seriously dusty and the filter want's scrubbing after every outing and that's with an outerwears on top. 

so it totally depends on conditions you run your baja in. ATM air filter never gets dirty on my baja, BUT it might change, because we will be going to seaside in a couple weeks time. l will deffo buy one before taking my baja on the beach.