• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi and where do I start?!

matt harvey

Hi guys. I'm new to the rc car scene. I've had helis and boats but never a car. My dad is part of a model rc boat club but they have recently branched out and opened up a rc car track and club. It's not much and it's in it's very early days but its not a bad place to go and have some fun. My dad and most of the other fellas there have the 1/10 carisma m40s with various shells. I'm after some advice really on what car I should start off with. My son has a smaller carisma car I think it is a 1/16 but I found this a little hard to control but I really liked my dads m40s with the Quattro shell. But as I say I'm really new to this and have absolutely no idea where to start. My requirements are

Cheapish to buy out right

Modifiable

Easy to fix

Readily available spares and upgrades

And something I can keep up with their cars

Any advice would be great

On road (touring cars etc) or off road (monster trucks, buggies)

Are you bashing or racing? (bashing is throwing it off ramps, driving round parks and the like, racing is pretty self explanatory)

I'm guessing you want 1/10?

Do you have a budget in mind?

If you're looking for an off-road basher, truggy style cars perform well, the e-firestorm is a personal favorite.

If you're starting up, a tamiya tt01 is a great choice, it's very versatile and can be turned into a wide variety of configurations

Edited by Cabbagey
  • Like 1

A second hand tt01, or a kit one would do great. However if you're thinking of more serious racing you may want to stretch your budget and go for a race chassis, models like trf and Schumacher are popular, there are more but I'm not familiar with touring cars