• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Volt up = gear down ?

HootMaRoot

I am right in thinking that when you up the voltage you are ment to gear lower ? Because I have just had my first proper bash with 6s on same gearing as I used with 4s and the motor is real hot with coolish ESC and fairly hot batteries, so I am lost as I thought **** ESC hot motor was under geared

Possibly undergeared then if the esc is running cool, might have to up your C ratings if the lipo's are getting hot. Its a very torquey motor being 1600kv so I reckon it still needs to be upped a few teeth.

Possibly undergeared then if the esc is running cool, might have to up your C ratings if the lipo's are getting hot. Its a very torquey motor being 1600kv so I reckon it still needs to be upped a few teeth.

=( guess will have to buy a smaller spur now and then a bunch more pinions, but what i find weird is that it ran fine with 4S just wasnt enough speed but that might be because was running it most the time in the winter

if it was undergeared it would have been too hot on 4s..

I run a 1520 motor on 4s 14/46 on my monster (see sig) and it runs a treat..

6s is a whole new ball game....i'd gear down to 16/18 and do some temp checks ..

personally..I'd try gearing up on 4s or 5s, that works a treat on my 8th truggy, 

if you do end up needing some smaller pinnys ..let me know...you can have them for postage cost (which is about 398 quid at today's rate  :shockingscary: )

Edited by barnetbasher

will be about one month until i can use my RC again as away for work tomorrow so just packed everything away just now :( will get things tested asap also have a  16,15,13 pinions just didnt take them out with me

You really do need a IR temp gun no good guessing temps :-/

What's the setup in??

What's the spec on lipos?? Mah & C rating??

If they are up to the job and getting hot then you are more than likely over geared on 6s

Edited by big turbo

• 9 months later...

Well that month turned into almost a year

Lipos are 40/50c 5000mah

Motor temps now running at 60 degrees C

Lipos now @ 40 degrees

ESC @ 45 degrees

Seems to run a lot cooler when tarmac running compared to grass/gravil/mud might just need to find some tires that grip better or by slightly lighter on the throttle