• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The XRay T4 2013 thread (Renamed)

ta05

Still got to finish fitting the drive shafts for tomorrows team race, new shell should make it look better too, thanks Ian  :thumbsup:

I need to find some adhesive foam for the front of the shell if you have any?

No worries, I've asked on the club forum too :)

Yeah, I don't know the format as I've never been to one.  Groups of 5 usually, but how they divide the cars up I don't know. All depends on race entries on the day.

I think for simplicity and fairness, all entrants can only book one type of car in?????

The trailer race is funny if they ever have one again.

• Like 1

When I used to race, It was a 2 hour race with each team member using their own car and the same hand out transponder. Used to get people pushing there cars to the max and crawling back to the pits with flat batteries, which made the race quite interesting. However etiquette used to go out of the window as nobody knew who was in the lead, and cars would regularly get crashed into. My last one I had a head on with a car that was somehow going the wrong way down a straight and completely totalled one corner of my car. Nobody had ever seen a Hudy spring steel driveshaft snap clean in 2 at the club before!

• Like 1

I do remember those days Reggie, with the Sub C cells, but things have come a long way on the battery front now.  Lipos give a good run time, but only if as you say, you do not get crashed in to lol.

I have had that a few times, the most severe though was wiping out a top end speed control, motor, set of GP4300 matched cells and scorching my chassis to a burnt graphite smell :(

I do remember those days Reggie, with the Sub C cells, but things have come a long way on the battery front now.  Lipos give a good run time, but only if as you say, you do not get crashed in to lol.

I have had that a few times, the most severe though was wiping out a top end speed control, motor, set of GP4300 matched cells and scorching my chassis to a burnt graphite smell :(

That was my first race with a brushless system if I remember correctly, just before lipos hit the market. My racing career was cut short by a pretty devastating lipo fire which took all the electrics with it and most of the car, again from someone hitting me. 

That's the main reason I stopped, due to having a pretty small club with only 2 ability classes of finals (3 on a very good day), people like me who were running low end A final pace, would end up getting put into the bumper car finals of people with little experience, and some pretty spectacular crashes would happen when the beginners got impatient waiting to be marshalled so just hit reverse on their rtf speedos, and I would always come off worse!

I'm not going to deny it, racing has cost me a fortune at times.  Things can add up to a big amount very quickly.

But I've learnt over time not to take the hobby seriously, or to play into the hands of the big headed guys who like to beat you and be smug about it ;)

I've stripped a lot of gears, worn a lot of other parts out trying to beat others, but at the end of the day everyone is in the same boat.

You've got to be in it to win it! :thumbsup:

I don't regret my choice of racing r/c cars. it's been an experience and will continue being one until I decide to hang up the transmitter and let my younger son/s persue it, and that's when I can lend them my undivided attention and hopefully see them pick up the bug and persue the hobby as far as I can take them in motivation, and financially...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:cussing2::banghead: well, that meeting ended up in disaster. I poled the C in qualifying! Shocking.

I finished 2nd iirc.

I am at a loss as to why my car resembles something I have trodden in.  I've rebuilt the shocks, new seals, pistons, rebound, new end caps for them too.

Super annoying as I know how to wheel a car very well, June last year I set my PB and its gone down hill from there.

Have you looked at your gear diff ( or diffs if u run a front one) i had a car that was awful and i went through everythibg and couldnt find anything but it turned out in the end to be a diff gear that had chipped causing a tight spot. New gears and it was sorted

Thank you for the heads up, I will check it.

Although I should have been more informative as to what is wrong (d'oh! lol) so very unlikely to be the diff. 

It doesn't turn right very well. I have to turn right handers much slower. 

I have not checked the hinge pins yet, so I'm hoping it's something like that / an easy fix.

EPA wasn't set right

Steering middle value adjustment needs to be adjusted to my liking (too twitchy on initial turning, need to slow it down a bit).

Suspension ball joints were binding (the main reason why my car was hesitating to turn right unless I backed right off the power!)

Wrong spur gear used (Too small) and causing motor issues

ride height too low

Bumper foam catching the ground and upsetting the balance so flipped over. 

Steering linkage (centre assembly) loose

new front dcj's were not great quality.

o ring in diff needs replacing

So.... kinda explains why my car was never going to see an A final until it had been looked at with an experienced set of eyes lol.

I will admit, setup is my weak point.  I can set some things up on a car well, (shock rebound, driveshaft building,tyre prep) but others get overlooked or I am truly rubbish at doing them :D

Edited by ta05

Just a quick heads up about rc-disco if you plan on ordering anything from them.

Wednesday I got my parts (next day service) so top marks for them in that respect however...

I distinctly remember ticking the option of having UPS delivery for peace of mind, (which costs a bit more than royal mail) and it arrived by Royal Mail.

If the parts had got lost in the post, it would have made things a lot harder to trace.

Maybe it was a one off, but the point is if you pay for a service, you should get it.

Car was massively different last night.

Took 4th in the A for qualifying, and that's where I finished in the race. 

I was following 3rd for a while, but a few errors made me loose some time.

Greg @ RC-Disco put right the error they made with the postage and credited me, so all's good :)

Roll on the next race meeting.... Car isn't perfect but it's miles better!