• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The XRay T4 2013 thread (Renamed)

ta05

Tonight will be my last weekly race meeting for a while now as I will be going back to racing monthly next month and between that i'll be spending time with my wife/sons.

I am trying a different additive strategy tonight unless something tempts me to do otherwise.

I have put the overnight tire tweek on at 8am, my first race is at 7pm ish.

I am not planning on putting more additive on for the qualifying, but maybe the final depending on how sticky the tyres feel... :yes:

well that was a complete shambles.  Qualified and finished 2nd in the B.

Not enough speed or cornering.  A shame to finish my 12 weeks of racing on a low, but at least nothing was broken (except my pride lol).

After the final, Mark pointed out to me that my front shocks were too low, I barely had any ride height.

I think that was a major element, I have got some oil so it's time to get that done. (They might be leaky, but I want to get new oil in them anyway).  Then I will check the ride height.

Not racing until next month at some point, with a holiday in between that.

And a new shell to cut and spray, if I can be motivated enough to do it (I hate cutting shells out... worse job ever!  Mechanical jobs are much easier).

As for the additive.  It definitely helped soften up the foams for round one, after that I was still using the SXT (Schumacher stuff that everyone appears to be using).

The tire tweak was

Edited by ta05

Back to the constant busy life of family and work next month unfortunately,  but i'll post here when I know what Friday i'll be attending next month.   I will probably know on the 3rd September.

There are quite a few fast Xray's at the club - Jack O'Brien hasn't raced recently but he's usually in the A. 

Using no roll bars and fairly thick weight shock oil seems to work quite well for me, but it's one of those things that you need to experiment with. 

With an xray, there has to be something very wrong with the setup for it to not work at Horsham.  Smaller changes for me don't feel like they gave me much difference in handling.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost a month since I last posted on my thread, I will be racing next a week Friday.

I have a new shell to cut out and spray, but I doubt i'll find the time to do it.

Main priority is looking at the shocks and getting them sorted after my last race let down.  Function over form lol!

Not yet, if sorting the shocks out with some different oil sorts my problem i'll know i'm on the right path.

in my opinion it takes something major to feel a change in the xray's handling, which is a negative thing in my eyes.

Or maybe I'm just not as good as I used to be at racing, LOL. (more likely).

• 2 weeks later...

I am kinda looking forward to tomorrow, will get the shocks done in practice, but I know it's going to be another fierce race ahead.

If I make the A I will be happy :thumbsup:

Racing on an r/c track that resembles Monaco is not easy, no margin for error usually!

I don't mind leaving it with you Ian (if our body posts line up the same, they should do), i'll get you a pint, top man thanks!  :thumbsup:

I'll be busy myself, I'm putting 50wt in the front shocks, 40wt in the rear to try in practice.

Edited by ta05
  • Like 1