• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cylinder Head

reggie

Can anyone confirm, whether it's normal for the bit the glow plug screws into, to sit loosely on the cylinder head. or be a tight fit. When I stripped my old engine, I couldn't budge this bit from the piston sleeve, but the new one is very loose. Wondering if this is part causing my tuning problems. I've noticed a build up of fuel inside the heatshield, which may be coming from there.

CylinderHead.jpg

Edited by reggie

That bit is called the burn chamber. Only got experience with one engine (Force 28) but the burn chamber on that is a loose fit (I can spin it around in the barrell).

Did your burn chamber have brass shims between it and the barrell? It should have some, and when you tighten down the cylinder head these will compress and create a seal. You shouldn't have to use instant gasket on that area.

That bit is called the burn chamber. Only got experience with one engine (Force 28) but the burn chamber on that is a loose fit (I can spin it around in the barrell).

Did your burn chamber have brass shims between it and the barrell? It should have some, and when you tighten down the cylinder head these will compress and create a seal. You shouldn't have to use instant gasket on that area.

Yes, it does have one brass shim.

Lol - yeah, you're probably right. Force call them Burn rooms (not chamber) so that's where I've been getting the name from.

Well, my engine is a force .21, so maybe it's normal in them, if you say your's spins easily.

If I take the cylinder head off my Force 28 and then turn the crankcase upside down, the burn room/button/whatever you want to call it, falls out without any shaking or persuasion.

However, there's no visible slop in it. In other words if I hold the glow plud and try and move the button from side to side when it's in the crankcase then I can't feel it moving, but obviously the clearances or loose enough to let it drop out easily.

Just read you had fuel building up in your heatshield. I had that on my Force 28. In the end I took it apart and cleaned the metal shims (with brasso) and bought a new crankcase (for some reason the old crankcase wouldn't let me tighten one of the cylinder head screws). I've put it all back together, tightened the cylinder head down tight (using the star pattern to make sure it's evenly pulled down) and the leaks have gone.