• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Super 5 SC Flux (hereafter known as the Super 5)

I'd be gearing that 1800 up by at least 4 teeth, subject to a few test runs of course. I've got a CC 1518, 1800 kv sat doing nowt, might try fitting it to see if it runs cooler than the 2200. I've no spare pinnys for it though, mod 1 I believe?

The 1518 is much larger than the 2200 and will not fit the standard brackets. The gear is indeed mod1.

btw, I don't think you can fit a 17T pinion on this setup unless you widen the slide slots in the motor mount plate or reduce the spur size.

Edited by leo-rcc

btw, I don't think you can fit a 17T pinion on this setup unless you widen the slide slots in the motor mount plate or reduce the spur size.

Dejan has said he'll sort out a CD mount, all I gotta do is send him the CD and both centre bones and he'll make a conversion kit that does away with the gearbox. This will leave the motor centrally mounted, allowing for much larger motors to be fitted.

• Like 1

Dejan has said he'll sort out a CD mount, all I gotta do is send him the CD and both centre bones and he'll make a conversion kit that does away with the gearbox. This will leave the motor centrally mounted, allowing for much larger motors to be fitted.

Seen something similar on the market already : http://www.kershawdesigns.com/Products-5SCFlux.htm

• Like 1

That is very interesting indeed.

Seen something similar on the market already : http://www.kershawdesigns.com/Products-5SCFlux.htm

This looks like the motor will sit up really high in the chassis, I'm not a huge fan of that. Mind you I'm not a fan of where it sits now either.

Edited by leo-rcc

This looks like the motor will sit up really high in the chassis, I'm not a huge fan of that.

Completely agree with you. Gotta think that chassis looks heavy too - Already asking a lot of the drive train on 6s operation ... Add weight and 8s to play and you're asking for trouble I reckon!

• Like 1

Seen something similar on the market already : http://www.kershawdesigns.com/Products-5SCFlux.htm

Like it, but I reckon Dejan can beat the price, and have lower postage costs. I've had Dejans stuff before, it's good gear.

This looks like the motor will sit up really high in the chassis, I'm not a huge fan of that. Mind you I'm not a fan of where it sits now either.

Maybe it's my old eyes, but motor height looks about the same.

Completely agree with you. Gotta think that chassis looks heavy too - Already asking a lot of the drive train on 6s operation ... Add weight and 8s to play and you're asking for trouble I reckon!

Yeah, I'm only looking for 6s, just trying to run cooler motor temps.

• Like 1

Good call Clive, look forward to seeing it in due course.

6s is plenty for myself, also of the opinion that the current drive train is at max capability...going to have to boil the tyres off and belt them though, the ballooning is comical, not to mention shell destroying.....or is that poor landings??

Good call Clive, look forward to seeing it in due course.

6s is plenty for myself, also of the opinion that the current drive train is at max capability...going to have to boil the tyres off and belt them though, the ballooning is comical, not to mention shell destroying.....or is that poor landings??

Maybe it's just bottoming out from the shocks being set up too soft? Have you checked your oil recently? Althought if you're ballooning then you probably need to do them anyway. I know I do ... especially since the CD has had 500k installed. The ballooning has disappeared front to back and now started left to right! :D

Ah, soft shocks....this is the bane of my sc world at the moment lolol...

They're not leaking, however, as the 5ive is getting sorted, then the S5 will too, well, shocks anyway for now. What weight oil do you recommend, 50wt or thereabouts?

Appreciate the CD will be full of hpi wee wee oil also...perhaps it is strip and refill time already....so may as well read back and check what fr and r diff oils to use too....only worth doing properly if a tvp is coming off

They're not leaking, however, as the 5ive is getting sorted, then the S5 will too, well, shocks anyway for now. What weight oil do you recommend, 50wt or thereabouts?

Appreciate the CD will be full of hpi wee wee oil also...perhaps it is strip and refill time already....so may as well read back and check what fr and r diff oils to use too....only worth doing properly if a tvp is coming off

Don't go filling SC shocks with gel, they're supposed to be fairly forgiving. I intend trying some adjustments next time out, laying the shocks down as far as they'll go to try and stiffen the suspension up a bit. I'll report back.

I added a fair amount of pre load clips at the back and half at the front and it made a vast difference. I do now run 50 weight oil yes - but the Integy ones are leaking a fair amount! I'm not overly impressed - maybe the seals are no good. The CD certainly benefited from just properly being filled with 100k the first time around. Make sure you fill it and wind the oil through a few times. 

FR and R diffs both use grease Noj so nothing to worry about there! Probably why it's made such a crazy difference with the CD.

Thanks for the heads up, could/should have read the manual.... Ooops...

I did try putting in extra preload spacers, as I noted you had,but found handling to be worse... the back end really kicked up on take off, resulting in some fairly hard nose first and roof down landings...took some out and she is better, but....

Taking her for a blast later anyway, been too long lol

• Like 1

Mine. Overkill on bonnet stickerage but ask me if I give a tiny rat's ass.... :tease:  :tease:

DSCN1917_zpse299a2e4.jpg

DSCN1916_zpsc7b6a384.jpg

DSCN1919_zps4cf5eb15.jpg

DSCN1918_zps232650ec.jpg

You may notice creases and other assorted crash induced blemishes to the shell....tough they aren't  :xd:

Edited by Noj
  • Like 1

I use Lethal Threat graphics from Tank pads 24 on the bay, excellent quality printing and good service, altho, picked up some for the 5ive from a different seller that are simply gorgeous....but you'll have to give me 5 mins to update the thread before peeking... :xd:

Well well well, ive just bought one of these superb trucks today, im well impressed to be honest, i got it as a roller with no elecs, i spent this afternoon striping the truck down to fit the motor in, while it was appart thought i would try some 500,000 oil in the cd, just to give it a little more kick, i was temped to bung my savy flux box into it which obviously doest have a diff, but settled on giving the oil a go first, i already had it anyway, whacked it all back together with a hobbywing 150amp esc and 2000kv motor combo and charged my 3s lipos up, ive also used the 16 tooth pinion off my savy, just had it out for a blast and i can honestly say i think its a brilliant truck, its by no means underpowered either and was spining all fours for fun on tarmac, its superb fun, motor and esc wasnt getting that hot either, around 35c with the temp gun, totally different to my baja 5b in how it drives, but just as much fun, i walked away with a big grin, lovely.