• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Super 5 SC Flux (hereafter known as the Super 5)

Well, mine's finally arrived! Sweet looking ride and seems to go quite nicely on just 4s. However, 5 & 6s will be tested to find the sweet spot.

Seems a bit narrow, so may, in the future, fit offset rims and the 5T body. This should help with stability, but stop any body rub.

Her size makes her fairly easy to work on. I'll be fitting a uBEC before she gets her first run in anger. I will get some video when time and weather permit!

• Like 2

No hijacking going on at all Clive, started the thread for all owners to post and share their trucks....keeps all info together for reference, and of course the natural interspersings of witty banter and bonhomie are saved for posterity too.

• Like 1

I've soldered in the uBEC and 5.5mm bullets, quick test on 6s and wow! That really wakes her up! Definitely in need of those extra volts!

I'll try and get out for a proper test today!

Good luck I look forward to hearing how you are getting on with it :).

Hows the Hobbyking 150a holding up in the Baja?

Thanks.

Cheers Daz.

S5 bashing very soon I hope.

Baja HK project has only had 3 sets of cells through it, BUT, it didn't flinch or thermal once! Which is bonkers! But admirable all the same. The HK is very notchy off the line, but once it's moving you wouldn't know it was running what is essentially a 1/8 ESC. I'll update as I go.

Just been out for my first proper bash with the S5, what a fun machine! Fast enough on 6s, if only just! Easy to handle, just! And ramps with the best of them!

Lovin this truck!

• Like 1

Just been out for my first proper bash with the S5, what a fun machine! Fast enough on 6s, if only just! Easy to handle, just! And ramps with the best of them!

Lovin this truck!

Totally agree. I think the slipper clutch almost spoilt the explosive power it but it feels about right all in all. Jumping is too much fun in it!

Glad you're enjoying it!

Totally agree. I think the slipper clutch almost spoilt the explosive power it but it feels about right all in all. Jumping is too much fun in it!

Glad you're enjoying it!

Always a bit daunting with a new truck, but I think the CD may need to come out and have some seriously heavy oil put in it. The front wheels are spinning up way too much.

Other than that, a cracking truck!

• Like 1

Always a bit daunting with a new truck, but I think the CD may need to come out and have some seriously heavy oil put in it. The front wheels are spinning up way too much.

Other than that, a cracking truck!

I ended up completely filling with 100k at first, I've ordered some 500k to go in now to give that a try but I haven't got round to it yet!

Second set of cells, love it! This thing rocks!

Oh. Hell. Yeah! :)

I ended up completely filling with 100k at first, I've ordered some 500k to go in now to give that a try but I haven't got round to it yet!

Oh. Hell. Yeah! :)

How long would it take a Savvy noob to get the gearbox out?

How long would it take a Savvy noob to get the gearbox out?

Depends if you've got a nice set of drivers! I reckon 60 minutes to get it out. The original is a 4 piece plastic jobby and the centre diff is right down in the belly unfortunately!

The best way to get the centre box out is to remove the front and rear ends (don't worry only 4 bolts per end) and then seperate just one side of the vertical plates.

Depends if you've got a nice set of drivers! I reckon 60 minutes to get it out. The original is a 4 piece plastic jobby and the centre diff is right down in the belly unfortunately!

The best way to get the centre box out is to remove the front and rear ends (don't worry only 4 bolts per end) and then seperate just one side of the vertical plates.

Wow, sounds intensive. It doesn't lift out of the middle?

Wow, sounds intensive. It doesn't lift out of the middle?

It won't lift out as it has notches in the box that sit in the verticle plate. That's why one side has to come off. :(

It won't lift out as it has notches in the box that sit in the verticle plate. That's why one side has to come off. :(

Hmmm, oh well, gotta learn sometime.

If I wanted to do away with the CD, would you know what part numbers I'd need?

Broke the end off one of the side body mount posts; replacement from the beast spares box, but the pin now goes in vertically. Shell a little creased too but hey ho...sooooo much fun to drive and jump...

Hmmm, oh well, gotta learn sometime.

If I wanted to do away with the CD, would you know what part numbers I'd need?

I didn't even think you could remove the CD so no! What would the advantages be to that?

I didn't even think you could remove the CD so no! What would the advantages be to that?

In Traxxas machines, the CD is always an option. I'd like to think it is removeable? As for advantages, it would stop the fronts from spinning up so much, I'm finding it hard to actually get to top speed as the nose lifts and the fronts just don't grip. Perhaps some more pre-load at the rear? It may even pop wheelies!

Disadvantage would definitely be a worn rear diff as it's forced carry more load.

Alza do a center diff locker iirc, however, locking it will cause issues elsewhere. Stick your old favorite Mr 500k diff glue in Clive, it'll be reet

And I concur that they fly better than badgers, well, in my hands but that ain't saying much.....

Alza do a center diff locker iirc, however, locking it will cause issues elsewhere. Stick your old favorite Mr 500k diff glue in Clive, it'll be reet

And I concur that they fly better than badgers, well, in my hands but that ain't saying much.....

It shouldn't cause any issues elsewhere, providing I make proper use of the slipper. Of course, that means checking and adjusting it for every run! The only part that'll suffer from not having a CD is the rear diff, as it'll be under far more strain. Unless the slipper is correctly adjusted! Did I mention that?

Yay for flying S5s!

Fun don't come close to describing it! They're huge fun!

Dare I say they ramp better than a Baja? Their suspension and lack of weight definitely help.

Glad to hear your enjoying it :).

Any footage on its way ;)?

Thanks.

Glad to hear your enjoying it :).

Any footage on its way ;)?

Thanks.

Ain't life weird like that? Work's quiet, so I'm not finding time to do much RC! I guess I'm just made that way, if I've put in a full days collar, then I've earnt my RC time. When I'm not busy working, I get the guilts if I do indulge myself. Hey ho.

In answer, I will put together the best vid I can. I can't do top edits like Outlaw Graphics and RCfreaks, but I promise to do mi best.........................when I'm really busy with work again!

Still loving it, it's a great machine with fantastic suspension! Definitely the best RTR suspension I've ever known!

Cheers Daz, I'll get videoing soon!

• Like 1