• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Baja is just wrong!

Disco.dave

Reliability is key. Castle have done it with the xl2, despite opinions to the contrary, but it isn't cheap. Or waterproof.

Motor technology has come on also, but for reliablity, again, the castle neu 2028 has the competition beaten hands down (excluding lehner as they are stupidly expensive); for the cost, a 2028 is a reliable and sound investment.

Overall reliability of the cheap escs will come in time, and I believe more largescale purpose built bl platforms. The Baja/five are big heavy platforms, yet work ok with a bl set up; the 5sc super flux is so light in comparison as it is more designed for purpose.... Stealth FTW lol

Ouch! 60 quid for a couple of batteries to last 40mins!

Thats one hell of a cost to cough up, another reason for going petrol is cheaper running costs to nitro.

So I just paid

• Like 1

Thanks for the maths chaps, I wasn't quite that bored.

As I said, initial set up costs are higher (charger and psu) although you use the charger for everything electric you own, however long term, even adding in the cost of electricity, brushless costs less, and is less polluting to boot. Squirrels are happy, hedgehogs are ecstatic....... Until you hit one. Lol

Well played sir.

But for your 400 hours runtime you also need to factor in the charger cost and electricity cost. I know still not going to total same as petrol in the end.

Also (clutching at straws here) a lipo battery on it's 600th charge isn't going to provide the same run time as it's first charge.

But noj, unless your charging through solar or wind power the electricity station will still have ill effects for nature.

annnddddd your going to want at least 2 sets of batteries with you so thats 70 hours of petrol run time before you have paid for your 4 batteries.

Yep still bored.

Edited by Paul_TDi

I dont understand what your all going on about, 1/5 th cars, truncks with no engine ...................................... its like crackers with no cheese, bacon with no eggs, the noise and the smell are part of the experience.

Costs per tank, electricity costs, are normally ignored, if you buzz off something, be it noise or smell or the risk of maiming someone with a 15 Kg vehicle, so be it, monetary values simply get ignored.

Electric is great as from what i've seen performance is better off the mark and after 40 mins of bashing anyone needs 5mins, break (change battery) noise would not be an issue and not annoy the neighbours but personally i just feel the whole fun of it is the noise aswell as the performance.

It would be a sad world if we were all the same and i have upmost respect for the electric fellas, just feel a bit sorry for they as that they are missing the engine noise bit !!!

I spend time looking on google maps for places to go and run, part of the fun, i could drive an electric up the road if needs be!! its all part of an adventure !!!!!!

Yes i am sad, lonely and bored :)

I thought I had got away with not mentioning the environmental impact of power stations.....damn!

We do indeed have a number of paired packs, and yes, I will usually take 2 or 3 pairs for an afternoons bash.....but again, it is an initial investment cost that has to be spread over the life of the packs. They will degenerate eventually, of course, but will have, IMO, given good vfm. The charging equipment will run for a long time also, and covers ALL our electric cars, so the cost can actually be spread further, the packs are solely for largescale use however.

And the 'noise' has never agreed, personally.... I like my engines to sound deep and throaty, a 2 stroke petrol cannot produce that tone by its very nature.....create a fifthscale six cylinder however......

• Like 1

I you Put an E Baja next to a Petrol Baja and run the two, How would they compare,

In terms of acceleration/ top speed and Handling?

Seen it done, and there isn't a lot in it for the setups in question...but

As with any comparison....it depends on the motor in the IC Baja and the motor/battery /ESC setup in the brushless one.

From what I can tell, a current Castle setup on 8S is about the same in terms of performance to a decent 29cc IC motor with a mild porting job.

A more radical IC motor would have the legs on the brushless one once up to speed, but the brushless would have the edge off the line. At this point, though, traction is as important as power.

Serious point now....

How does the weight of the motor and batteries compare to a 2 stroke with clutch housing?

According to weights on MSUK the 5b is 100g lighter than the baja flux

Edited by Paul_TDi

I haven't had ours on the scales, however, a 5b feels about the same; my beast is a different matter, runs the team chase cage and hostiles and weighs significantly more with batteries fitted.

As nitroholic pointed out, traction is vital...and a bl Baja will spin it's rears on any surface in any condition when you plant the throttle; conversely the sc will also suddenly stick its nose in the air at 40mph on grass, which is a hilarious sight. On road,the sc, even on a mere 6s, will wheelie too easily. The 5b, with lower cog and true tarmac busters is very swift, after the tyres have warmed a little.

The bl is faster off the line, when you have got used to driving it...and being electric, responds instantly to acceleration input. They take some practice, though our lass finds them much easier to drive than tenth scale.

I would say that on 8s the bl is still quicker than a ported 29cc, tho of course gearing plays a part in that too. For any bl set up, gearing is the key to success, ie no flames! I run a gearing capable of taking 6,7 and 8s for versatility, however, could of course alter for speed runs...I have seen footage of a 5b running 20/55 on 8s, a lot higher than my 16/57! Essentially though, that gearing means I don't worry about the ESC venting, and the speeds it gives are ample for my needs. I always get passing motorists stopping to watch, and can out accelerate most 1:1's, when I am running on grass....

A bl needs to be experienced in the flesh; I am always happy to let responsible rc owners take a handset and drive one, it is the only true way to see and feel what they can do.

One thing I will say Jason, is that currently, reliability costs, ergo you need to invest in the castle set up and follow how Bazookajoe, The Admiral and myself go about things, as we have got it right thus far....