• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Toxic Monster, savvy flux xl, alza racing center diff conversion, castle 1717, mamba xl2.

Toxic Basher

Looks like a quality build :thumbsup:

Love the bodyshell  do you have a link to them?

it is i do believe the proline desert rat body for the slash, they did a version for the baja, i had one for a while but i believe it has been discontinued for quite a while now though

386680FB.jpg

Edited by norcoforever
  • Like 1

Well first run with center diff today and it ran like a dream up until the point my soldering skills failed me :(

I only got the chance to run 1 set of 4s batteries through it and it handled so much nicer, it honestly is a big improvement over the stock set up, nice and smooth, she handled it well :) hopefully get a wee vid up later but never got much footage.

Wow, nice work, and I'm very, very jealous!! Truck looks amazing and I'm sitting here with the stock Flux HP that I got recently, wishing I hadn't sold all of my old bits on.. Nevermind, at least they're being used now!

Would love to see the beast in action with the new centre diff sorted - I'm looking at getting one for mine, along with a load of other upgrades, surprisingly.. Been looking for the Racing Suspension Conversion kit, but doesn't look like you can get them anymore - what's going on there?! Also, has Alza stopped doing the alloy battery box mounts now?

The shell is the Proline Desert Rat, btw, as Norco suggested. 

Have fun :)

• Like 2

Wow, nice work, and I'm very, very jealous!! Truck looks amazing and I'm sitting here with the stock Flux HP that I got recently, wishing I hadn't sold all of my old bits on.. Nevermind, at least they're being used now!

Someone on here was selling one buddy the conversion kit

Would love to see the beast in action with the new centre diff sorted - I'm looking at getting one for mine, along with a load of other upgrades, surprisingly.. Been looking for the Racing Suspension Conversion kit, but doesn't look like you can get them anymore - what's going on there?! Also, has Alza stopped doing the alloy battery box mounts now?

here you go mate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-Racing-SAVAGE-X-4-6-GT-3-GREY-87245-SAVAGE-SUSPENSION-CONVERSION-SET-NEW-/310657782579?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4854a59333

and dont think dejan has stop the bat box mounts he's been udating his website so they might have got del give him and email he will sort you out

Hey gramps hijack away :) ill have video up soon and fresh pics on tomorrow. I've just swapped the tvps to the flm xl tvps i bought of you iirc gramps :D

Ill be selling a set of alza tvps and motor mounts soon, gonna convert my other savvy to an xl first.

ok folks after this weekends quick blast I've made a few changes, firstly I've added the flm xl tvps as i just liked them more than the alza tvps, there also a lot lighter than the alza plates and have lasted all the abuse I've given them so far. Funnily enough the alza xl skid plate doesn't quite fit with the centre diff conversion but the flm xl skid plate has a nice recess right where the diff mount protrudes so fits lovely  :yes:

Harvey i haven't forgot about weighing it but my kitchen scales don't go high enough and we haven't got any bathroom scales, ill see what i can do, i may have a set of fishing scales somewhere,

Anyway folks heres a few pics  :thumbsup:

med_gallery_18745_2401_627330.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_491892.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_386650.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_17208.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_737434.jpg

I've added an extra brace near the rear and the skid plate also has alloy braces so plenty of support.

med_gallery_18745_2401_1073734.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_991852.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_98077.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_70942.jpg

Heres a few pics with the body on, also finally glued up the spi rims so running spi offset alloy rims all round with pro line mulchers,

the tires were glued badly by the previous owner but ill clean them up when i get a chance  :sweatdrop:

med_gallery_18745_2401_1275335.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_283981.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_1165641.jpg

Next pics are on a standard style round garden table, just to give a size comparison  :yes:

med_gallery_18745_2401_121785.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_755470.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_277587.jpg

Thanks for reading folks  :whistling:

• Like 2

I'm gonna have to stop looking at this thread, it's got me properly drawling! Looks even more awesome with the SPI's and FLM's. :thumbsup:  

Wonder how much weight you've actually lost by getting rid of the motor mounting plate, clamps and tranny etc, by using the centre diff - must be quite a bit, be interesting to find out.

Also interesting to hear you mention about the FLM's taking a good bashing. I always worried when I got them about possible failure, with that funny bit that's almost missing out of one side, so got the Alza's instead. The FLM's do weigh a whole lot less and look loads prettier - I almost wonder now if the extra weight that the Alza'a carry is actually necessary.. What do you reckon?

Cheers, Lawrence.

Only time will tell Lawrence the flm tvps survived with the standard mmm combo. This has bags more torque and power so they will be tested to the extreme :D

Ill have to get it on some scales soon, it certainly feels a heavy beast.

Ill be keeping hold of the thicker alza tvps just in case the flm ones can't handle the power :)

that looks as tho you have put alot of time and love into that savage 'ToxicBasher'.  looks great bud :thumbsup:

i know we've covered the motor mount  'TB', but with the motor only supported by the 4 bolts going into 1 end of the motor sure doesn't look as though it would take alot of impacts. have you had any concern with the screws/bolts given up? or any sign of the motor moving?

scott

Thanks Scott :)

The motors actually only held in with two screws :lol:

It's another only time will tell job, although I'm sure alza racing will have tested them with a variety of motors before releasing to the public.

After my first run, and it only lasted 10 mins before my soldering gave in, I'd only used blue locktight. When I stripped it down it was shockingly loose so I've re done it all in red thread lock.

Ill let you know how the next run go's. shouldn't be long, should have video soon also :)

I was thinking the same thing, about having such a heavy motor supported by only two screws.. Wonder if you could get something along the lines of the Tekno motor mounts http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr4142x-42mm-v3v4-motor-mount-cnc-alum-black-ano-for-castletekin-motors-lightened/ to use..?

i'm still going to do the centre diff method. thinking about whether i could still use the mount and pack the space with an extra chassis brace and washers. probably need modifying a little, but could it be done?

You've both got me worried now :lol:

I've just charged a set of lipos so ill be off over the field soon for a test run :)

Ill give it hell and see if it holds :) remember the holes for the 1717 are fatter so it's got two meaty screws holding it in place, hopefully it'll hold up fine.

Well it ran like a champ :) only thing which stopped play was a loose spring in the servo saver, could hardly get the wheels turning :(

On another note it was only on 4s but got a tad warm around the 55 Celsius mark, esc was around 55 and motor around 50, I know that's ok temps but I want to run 6s so ill be gearing it down to around a 20t.

The diff oil needs thickening but ill do the front and rear at the same time.

Ill be going for 300,000 as suggested by the good dok :)

Anyone got any recommendations for front and rear diff oil weights ? I was thinking 30 000 front 10 000 rear.

I've got it on video so ill get on the mac and do a bit of editing once the bin lids are in bed :D

Edited by Toxic Basher
  • Like 1

Holy mackerel :) I've just had a hell of an escape with two 3s lipos. I stupidly plugged 2 3s lipos together thinking I was plugging one into the charger. They instantly blooned up and the wires instantly fused. I tried to rip them apart but the heat was burning my hands. Luckily I was near the patio doors and charging well away from anything on a hard tile floor.

There currently fizzing away in the back garden but as of yet no smoke but there over twice their original size :lol: