• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The FTX Frenzy 1:8 Nitro owners club!

Well I was told to make one so I did

lets get a owners club going, who owns of these cool little buggies, pics, stories etc etc. 

the FTX frenzy will be my first foray into the nitro world, had some problems getting it going last night so took it for a health check at my local shop, lesro models and got it going and comfortable  there ready for me to get the rest of the break in period done! the heat sink screws were loose so was causing fuel to spit out of the crankcase and also the servo arms needed adjusting too. 

heres my baby 

533982_10152759088360574_948933248_n.jpg

484035_10152759126470574_631199789_n.jpg553016_10152759087405574_1460147713_n.jp18707_10152759086855574_821505301_n.jpg

Cheers guys.

creativechris to an extent yes, ive dabbled  with electric 1/10 and micro (own a micro desert truck by losi as well for house fun)

but this is my first bigger scale proper bit of machinery so to speak so i am expecting to break a lot of things but learn a lot in the process. 

even put together a small tool box just for the buggy lol

5552_10152761318785574_1788975784_n1_zps

528429_10152761319840574_2023275813_n_zp

Nice buggy that mate I just got a FTC carnage nt Thursday n luv it lol! If u havnt done already n don't know then I would advice an hump pack for the reciver instead of all thoughs aa's mate last much longer n ul see a better result from the servos :) let us know how the run as I'm in the market for a buggy soon :)

well that sucks :(

just go back from my outting 

ran the engine in, its happy, it starts over easy, it doesnt die down in revs though on the low end which is a concern but ill take it to the shop as he said bring it back and he will try and sort it! 

but ran lots of tanks through nice rich, lean it out a little and took it on the main track for a bash before i went home and then my throttle servo decided to be a batty so i need to look at that now. 

oh and a wheel flew off in comedy fashion when revving it on my toolbox lmao 

Hi purcy so far so good with the breaking in no problems yet not even a broken glow plug

had to give up when I flattened my batteries didn't think a tank would last as long only managed 4 tanks

Loving it so far think it should be good once I get it tuned only thing I don't like so far is cant quite get the brakes

as sharp as I like them keep us posted on yours

• Like 1

Yeah the brakes arent very sharp on mine but i have a feeling thats down to the AA batteries AND the servo

i think the etronix servos need replacing ASAP to be honest, steering one is fine but the throttle/brake is pretty poor, mine has died already! but i think really if you want stronger braking power the servo needs to be changed anyway which is a shame but ill keep you posted as im taking it to my local shop tomorrow anyway.

• Like 1

~Well a small update for ya

purchased an alturn race high torque servo to replace the broken terrible plastic etronix, and placed the metal gear etronix 9kg servo which is actually very decent in the brake and throttle position instead of the steering, placed the alturn there for that, although i will replace the etronix at some point with another alturn as i have grown to like them already, great quality! 

And surprise surprise, what did changing the servos do?

well.

The Brake now works and  actually brakes 

The idle speed is now settling properly 

steering is far more responsive and quicker

throttle response to braking, near instant.

i call that a result! 

yeah good call

i will be ridding of the last etronix servo tuesday with a high speed alturn, as i drive astro i dont need mass amounts of torque up front for the steering, so will move the high torque alturn to the throttle! 

also sorted my reciever out, bloody batteries as per usual :/ me and electricity dont mix 

my tyres are still going strong but then again they havent seen any real concreate or rough use yet, only grass and astro.

i finally got my buggy to breathe again

after repairing the pull start, decided to replace the plug to no5 fastrax its running once more, just need to sort out this throttle twitch at 6v and the idle and then im ready to rumble

no i bet lmao! 

taking my frenzy to the hobby store tomorrow get my pro to sort my servo head ache out

my throttle twitches on 6v hump pack but not 4x AA which logically makes no sense lol plus the way the throttle is set up now its giving me false idle so i cant tune the ****er, gonna have him take it all apart put in the new servo and get it going properly. 

ive been patient with it all, but after doing the pull start and taking the car apart for the last 2 days, ill let him do some work lol 

Thanks mate :)

Oh when you can replace all the etronix servos your buggy will love you for it.

Got a pair of alturns in model no aas750mg running on a 6v reciever pack...buggy loves em

Update on the frenzy 

So the buggy has been bashed, raced, tinkered and broken several times, heres a few updates and things to consider.

The buggy itself 

Buy thread lock and lots of it, kinpins, motor screws etc all came loose and lost during racing on a astro track 

other than that, nothing broke, bent or snapped and held up very well to the abuse i gave it

The Engine

Pull start broke off 3 times from its string at the start of the day, i suggest replacing it with a starterbox, the engines high compression puts far too much strain on the string causing it to sheer off. 

Engine idles high and bogs even when leaned out, possible issue with just my engine but something else to think about, as a result cant sit n idle or will bog out and stall.

it likes 25% nitro with optifuel race blend, the bogging stall is a tad less frequent i noticed with this than the 20% RTR blend, for a basic engine though it was more than capable of racing. 

Suspension

No breakages however their was leaks, the flanges that are under the rubber boots can come loose so shock fluid can leak out, easy to rectify and not a huge issue, the springs themselves i have no idea what rate they were but 40wt front 30wt rear proved a tad unstable at times but did not grip roll nearly as much, have recently changed to 40wt all round and moved the suspension up slightly from my last setup to compensate for a few things, however overall it does the job.

Overall

If you are looking at buying this buggy, dont be put off, i may have a bit of a lemon out of the box so to speak however all the mishaps will pay off in the future as it will teach me the ins and outs of the buggy and the skills learnt will carry on to further models i build myself, it held up to my terrible driving, bashing and racing and was reliable once up and running, wack it on a starter box and off it goes, take into consideration the bogging issues, i am not sure if mine is rectifiable but i plan to change the engine out at some point anyway, but i was not the only one driving in a circle before the race started to avoid bogging out lol. 

Great buggy, great fun, can hold up to some abuse just a shame about the screws that like to vanish! so buy threadlock  

Well a bit of a update.

The engine has air leaks ..no surprise, gasket goop the naffers out of it, it will help! 

had some amazeballs difficulty getting it going recently, turns out if you take off the one way bearing and its rod that connects to the con rod you end up having no back pressure so the engine wont start or even pressurize fuel../facepalm,