• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

An Introduction to RC Rally (updated 01/04/2013)

rcrallyuk

An introduction to RC Rally

Please see below for Chassis Type.

Tamiya TT01 - http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/160692-an-illustrated-guide-to-modding-a-tt01-for-rally-use/

Tamiya TB01 - http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/168365-tamiya-tb01/

HPI WR8 - http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/164646-everything-wr8/ (There is a lot of info here so ask questions about it in that thread)

RC Rally has been increasing in popularity over the last couple of years. Some of the countries that run regular events and meet-ups include Czech Republic, Portugal, Italy and Germany. Below will be some basics to RC Rally and where to start. I will be concentrating on a Tamiya TT01 as this is the car I use but I will try and keep the information universal. Most RC Rally cars are electric. I am aware there have been a couple of Nitro versions released. Most of the information you will see here will be for electric. If you have any questions or if you need any help. Please comment below and I'm sure someone will give you a hand.

***If you want to add anything to this post, please leave a comment or PM me and I will get this updated. I want this post to be a members post so as much feed back would be great. Please keep the comments to a general as people will be leaving comments about their own car that you can comment on***

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Rally? Over the last 10 years, Rally as a whole has had a big change. It used to be wee box cars that were modified by amateurs to race as race weekends, now with the help of guys like Ken Block and Colin McRae the rally scene has became more popular. Rally, like any driving style has many different variations. I will describe the 1:1 then the rally version.

- Gated Rally: also known as rally racing, is a form of racing that takes place on public or private roads with modified production or specially built road-legal cars. This motorsport is distinguished by running not on a circuit, but instead in a point-to-point format in which participants drive between set control points (special stages), leaving at regular intervals from one or more start points. Rallies may be won by pure speed within the stages or alternatively by driving to a predetermined ideal journey time within the stages.

RC Gated Rally: Just like the 1:1 version of the sport. Rc Rally Uses a point-to-point format (usually just a start and finish). The cars are split into classes based on size and motor choice. These cars race in woods, fields, beaches and urban ground. As long as there is a good run that takes advantage of natural obstacles and mixed terrain.

- Rally cross: Several cars start abreast at the same time, and drive three to six laps on a rather short racing track, setting the best qualifying times. In the end there are 'C', 'B' and 'A' finals for the 16 fastest drivers of the qualification and the overall winner of the event will be decided in an showdown

RC Rally Cross: Used tracks like local BMX and motor cross tracks. You can build your own but you will need a lot of space and a big shovel. The races are exactly the same as the 1:1 scale. Its every man for them self. This is become a very popular way of racing and there is lots of Electric and Nitro cars that can race well on a Rally cross track.

-Gymkhana: Gymkhana events are time and/or speed events in an automobile. These can feature obstacles such as cones, tires, and barrels. The driver must maneuver through a predetermined "track" performing many different driving techniques. What separates gymkhana from traditional autocross events is that the gymkhana requires drivers to perform reversals, 180 degree spins, 360 degree spins, parking boxes, figure 8s, and other advanced skills. Drifting is also encouraged where helpful or necessary. Essentially, a gymkhana is any event featuring a starting point, a finish line and some sort of "obstacle" to get through, around, or by, all within a certain time limit.

RC Gymkhana: everything about this form of racing is exactly the same as the 1:1. You can use anything you can get your hands of for obsticals: used RC tyres, other RC cars, Cardboard boxes and a bit of calk on the ground to complete your course. I know a couple of drifters that love just changing the ride hight of their car and sticking some slick tyres on. Its a great ay for all round drivers to show off their skills.

- Team Rally: Has many different ideas (depending on who you speak to) my ideas of the event is the team (minimum 3 drivers and 3 cars) set times on a Rally course. These times are combined for a total time. This allows drivers with a higher driving handicap to compete with better drivers in their class. The cars they use will have the same liveries and similar car set up.

RC Team Rally: Uses exactly the same principle as Gated Rally, the only difference is the cars run with different drivers and diffrent set ups. The idea is the same. you can use public foot paths and local nature trails.

What do I need to RC Rally? There are a number of things you will need to consider if you are looking to take your car out and rally. Please see the section below for a breakdown of the minimum requirements and upgrades you will need to look at.

***Again these are based on my knowledge of RC so information might not be exact. Please PM or comment with information I need to update. ***

What chassis to buy?. Ideally if you can find a car that has been developed for Rallying then you don't need to do much. If you have a touring car with a buggy derivative then this will save you some time as well as these are designed very strong and most upgrades will just be to improve rally performance. Please keep an eye on this post as it will be updated on a regular basis. I am trying to put together a large list of Chassis and the changes needed for these.

-------------------------------

4WD or 2WD: Both types of drive have its good and bad points. The drive you pick will be dependent on the chassis you go for. I will list some pros and cons for both types of drives.

4WD: This is the most common drive for Rally cars and it ensures you get the maximum power ratio to all wheels. The only bad points I can think of with 4WD is that the car might not be as nippy as you like as all wheels get a percentage of drive. The car also does not deal with tight corners as well as a FWD (front wheel drive) as the back end is not as easy to swing out. If you have a 4WD is worth while looking at a front one-way, which allows the car to act like a RWD car under braking, swinging the tail out as if you had just yanked on the handbrake.

2WD: 2 wheel drives comes in 2 formats, FWD (front wheel drive) and RWD (Rear wheel drive). I find that my front-motored front-wheel-drive car is prone to under-steer rather than oversteer. The tail only kicks out when I want it to. My rear-wheel drive cars do the opposite, whether the motor is rear-mounted or mid-mounted. They are prone to oversteer rather than understeer, and are generally more difficult to drive, especially on tight, twisty tracks, as they are more prone to spinning out.The downsides for 2WD are car can sometimes be uncontrolable under high speeds. You will not ger the same grip as a 4WD as half the wheels as just free-spinning. One of the major upsides to the 2WD is that you can usually gain higher speeds due to the less friction strain on the drive system.

*****PLEASE FIND THE ELECTRIC GUIDE HERE*****

What motor to Buy? If you are doing rally on a budget then you don't need to change the motor. The common "silver can" motor does a great job at providing a scale speed but it's not the best at providing power. When you are looking for a motor for your car, don't think about speed. You will break the car in the first run. You want a motor with a good balance between speed and torque. Most RC Rally cars will have:

- Brushed motor's due to the scale speed and the ablility to get brushed can that can be broken down (to allow cleaning).

- Brushless motors aren't necessarily faster than brushed ones. The advantages of brushless are lower maintenance and better efficiency, but you can choose whether you want to use this efficiency advantage to get more speed or longer runtimes. A suitably-geared brushless motor of a suitable Kv/turn rating can give you the same speed and acceleration as a brushed motor, but with improved runtime.If you do decide to go bushless then a "sealed can" if ideal to prevent any dirt getting in. This is one of the hardest choice you will make when looking at upgrades so please check out the "electric guide"

ESC?: Again like the motor, The ESC is an add-on that you only need to change when the old one breaks. If you are looking at an ESC upgrade then one that is waterproof and has reverse (many rally events allow reverse)

Please Note: For rally events such as Gymkhana, you need to be able to select reverse quickly. It is therefore a good idea to go for an ESC that has either a "double-pump" reverse that lets you go backwards with two quick flicks of the trigger, or one where you can set the reverse delay to zero. An ESC with a fixed reverse delay will make it hard to do maneuvers that require rapid changes of direction, and will cost you valuable seconds as your car sits stationary waiting for reverse to kick in.

***also look at the electric guide linked above***

Servos? Servos are completely up to the owner of the car. My recommendation for a servo would be a metal geared one with a weight range around 15-20 KG torque. Please remember that a fast servo is not always the best.

Batteries? Anyone you speak to will tell you their own preference. I like NIMH batteries as this is what I started with and all my charging gear is set for this. If I had the money I would change to LIPO. Lipo will lengthen your run time and give the motor a bit more punch. If you are looking to get a LIPO in your car then a hardcase LiPo batteries are strongly recommended, as the dirt and stones encountered when rallying can easily damage soft-cased LiPos.

***Have a look at the Electric section that tells you everything you need to know about them.***

Radio Gear? Anything will do. Not much to say here but it all depends on personal preference. 2.4 GHz is the most recommended radio gear as this does not have a "set" frequency channel. Many cars can run with 2.4 GHz and not interfere. Again to read up more about this, head over to the electric guide.

Wheels and Tyres? Since rally events take place on differnt surfaces, it is nice to have a few different tyre choices to hand. The three most useful types to have available are grooved street tyres for tarmac stages, rally blocks for mixed stages, and minipins for surfaces such as astroturf/carpet and clay.Play about with all kinds of settings. When running a light gravel course i like to have Rally blocks up front and some grooved tarmac tyres on the back. When looking at wheels, The Focus style wheels have been the best for me as sometimes the "5-spoke" looking wheels are prone to snapping.

--------------------------------------

Upgrades and Hop-Ups

When you first get your car you will need to change a couple of parts as the stock parts you get with the car will not be up to scratch. As I mentioned previously, I only have dealings with a TT01 so I WILL need input about other makes and models. Please only update me with general information. Please see below a list of basic upgrades you will need to do.

Suspension: The car you get will usually have a standard suspension set. The length of the set should ideally be around 50

Edited by rcrallyuk
  • Like 2

If anyone has any other chassis that they could send me detail. I would like info about specific suspension with a link that's not eBay. Could u also give details about shell size. I also need info around miscellaneous diy jobs for the car. Like trimming or strengthen tips. Please pm me.

Thanks

Are there any other forums that cover rallying? Might be worth trying to get some followers from other places too. Rallying on here seems like a very tiny sub section.

Not really. I have been on to the Tamiya one but they are not taking new members. I have looked at other ones but they just ideally deal with Off Road. Theres a couple of guys into the rally section but just like us. Its small. 

Thanks very much Tonysmini. That will be great. 

Not really. I have been on to the Tamiya one but they are not taking new members.

If its the one I'm thinking of, you can sign up, it's just very difficult to figure out how. I searched in the Club Questions forum and figured it out from there.

Perhaps real rally car (the full sized ones) web sites and forums maybe an area to gain some more interest, if you cant compete in the real thing then what could be better and cheeper than an RC version of your favourite rally weapon.

Theirs plenty of club rallying as well as national events all with websites and alot with forums all over the UK.

A link to the facebook page and this forum on their sites may get some interest.

• Nick unpinned this topic