• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my not a maverick scout

thesnake505

Hi all, loving reading everyones input its helped me a lot with my scout up to now. Just checked my tyres, I've one on the wrong way lol. So far I've dropped the body and trimmed it, shortened the shocks and I thought I'd weighted the wheels til I read how much you boys are running, I've only got 84g in each front and half that in the rears. I'm a bit stumped about the best way to move the shocks in board and how to bend the link things. Oh did the bumpers and lug thingies too, dremel rules lol.

Bending the links is easy mate, get a pen and mark the place the shock will touch the upper link, the remove the upper link! Next is up to you hold link in a vice with soft jaws a mm or so below the line you drew then use a tube or a ring spanner again a mm or so above the line and bend until your happy with the angle! I used two rin ring spanners due to no soft jaws! Once I done the first I used it to gauge the other! Make sure you bend in the correct rotation!

IMAG0104_BURST004_zpsc3b47ae7.jpg

Edited by thesnake505

Ok so last night I fitted rovers to my truck, since doing this the torque twist is kiling me. Its fine driving normaly however if I climb something the left rear corner drops and the body catchs the tyre pulling it down evan more! What the hell is going on? Im running ten mm feul tube in the shocks with 35weight oil in the shocks. This is with the stody body height as well and happens evan if I do a stright climb up a wall!

Cheers pal I'll give it a try, and does it make much difference relocating the electronic bits as long as the battery has been lowered.

Yo, so I just fitted a stock Tamiya motor to my rig! The wheel speed is insane gives the truck a better top speed!u However this is what I need for the mudplugging! So my question is how much will I kill the drive terrain and how quickly? I will still be going slow with the odd burst of speed for the hills?

It will kill the diffs rapidly bud , My mod will fix that .

The Knuckles and chubs will have more stress the harder you hit stuff ofc , I found over about over about  8mph started breaking things very rapidly .

Jack.

Ok, so I have been experimenting with the scout! I had some junfac axle extenders lying around so I trial fitted them! They require me to drill the wheels so I have not drilled them as only messing atm, with them on they allow me to drop the servo down, which mean a full size stick battery pack will fit across the axle!

Is this a daft place for my servo? Here is some mock up pictures of the servo, it works, although only held with one bolt, I will make up a new plate across the top,and also a lower plate to bolt the servo from below, all input would be greatfull!

Sorry about poor pictures

IMAG0140_BURST004_zpsbf71b451.jpg

IMAG0139_BURST004_zps4a66a3ae.jpg

Ok so I been playing with this and pretty happy to be fair! I need to knock up a new bet link, was thinking of an z shaped thing! I also need to trip the corner as the plate is a few mm off center and I don't want it to cut the tyre! I did however drill the wheel so I can use the axle extenders! Let me know what you think!

IMAG0141_BURST002_zps1807ef3b.jpg

IMAG0142_BURST020_zps1e0136d1.jpg

IMAG0143_BURST002_zps977edbf1.jpg

looks good consider going over to lipo batteries as soon as you can they are way smaller

also if budget allows better wheels with a bigger off set when i had a scout i very quickly took off the stack wheels and tyres cos thy looked so cheap

but your getting there keep going and you may end up with a good crawler

• 1 month later...

So I ran this at the beach the other day. It was the first time I had a proper play with just rocks, rather then mud pluging up the woods with some rocks, and im really happy with the rig! The main issue I have is the steering arms catch the rocks easily, so I an thinking about changing to behind the axle steering, has any one done this?

Also the steering servo is a bit pants, it struggled at times!

Is it possible to have too much type deflation? there any recommended foams? I am using the ones that came with the tyres!

Edited by thesnake505

• 3 weeks later...

hi there i got one of these yesterday and was wondering what the fuel lube mod is would like to lower mine so i can put a better shell on it its all stock so any help on mods would be fantastic so far its been an awesome car

hi there i got one of these yesterday and was wondering what the fuel lube mod is would like to lower mine so i can put a better shell on it its all stock so any help on mods would be fantastic so far its been an awesome car

Fuel tube mod = remove and open up the shocks and add a length of fuel tube over the bottom of the shock shaft on the inside of the shock.  When you reassemble it will limit the travel of the shock by the length of tube you have added.  This lowers your ride height which makes things more stable.  Usually people start with 10mm of tube.  You don't have to use fuel tube either... I had some stainless 10mm spacers that fit neatly over the shock shaft.

So I ran this at the beach the other day. It was the first time I had a proper play with just rocks, rather then mud pluging up the woods with some rocks, and im really happy with the rig! The main issue I have is the steering arms catch the rocks easily, so I an thinking about changing to behind the axle steering, has any one done this?

Also the steering servo is a bit pants, it struggled at times!

Is it possible to have too much type deflation? there any recommended foams? I am using the ones that came with the tyres!

I run behind the axle steering using some Vanquish Products Zero Ackerman knuckles I got off ebay.  You'll need some knuckles with higher arms than the stock ones so you can clear the links / shocks.  I made my own servo plate to reverse the servo and also my own tie rod.  It takes a bit of fiddling but certainly cleans up the front end.

My first setup:

and current version with LIPO and off centre servo:

or you can try and find an AX10 BTA kit but they cost a fair bit.

The stock servo is not great once you get heavy wheels and grippy tires.  The Alturn High Torque ones are a pretty inexpensive option (