• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma GTB - 1/16th belt drive offroad micro thread

c0sie

hi guys soon to be proud owner of the gtb and i know it shares some parts with the gt14b , does anyone know if the t bone bumpers for the 14b fit the gtb

To my knowledge they don't fit and to be honest, I don't think it's required. Tough little buggers!

They are epic aren't they! Ahhh yeah your keep up with and overtake the 10th buggies no probs. The 5800kv with the hobbywing esc's are like dynamite! So so quick! I agree, the Yellows do have their advantages on a really grippy track. Some of the places we race at run GT12 and the additive they use makes the track too grippy for Whites.

The gearing i use with the 5800kv is a 16 pinion and 68 spur. I have also run it with a 15 pinion and 62 spur at the nationals. They are just mental fast arent they!! :)

Gonna ramp it up on next meet. Qualified 1st but got beaten by another GTB on Sunday grrrrrrrr lol

To my knowledge they don't fit and to be honest, I don't think it's required. Tough little buggers!

Gonna ramp it up on next meet. Qualified 1st but got beaten by another GTB on Sunday grrrrrrrr lol

Ahhh its proper annoying isn't it! I had that happen to me last week. I think racing should be on every night of the week, not just once or twice  :thumbsup:

The fans make a huge difference to the temps. Before it would come off so hot you wouldnt be able to touch it and it would smell hot. With a fan you can keep your finger on the motor after 5 mins :)

Edited by MattyV6

cheers fella :)

Here's a vid from the Torbay Micro A final on Sunday. I'm the red car, 2nd on the grid and finished 2nd. The battle we had for 1st was brilliant until i flipped it on the table top around 3 mins in. If you play it on full 1080 quality its very clear :).

The vid was filmed by car 8 (Jed Briggs) on a head mounted go pro. Subscribe to his youtube channel, he uploads some really good vids :)

Few of the other member on here were in this race. Team South West Indoor RC made up for 4 of them :). It was a good days racing!

2nd Matt Latham (me)

3rd Richard Tough

4th Callum Mitchell

6th Ashley Parkin

My gearing setup for the day was 62 spur and 16 pinion with the leopard 5800kv motor.

10988436_361745010684994_195534234890210

Edited by MattyV6
  • Like 1

A few of us go to a Club in Torbay on a Friday Called Torbay Micro. Here's a vid from last nights A final. The final was all Carisma Gtb's :)

It was a very close race with the top 3 finishing on 26 laps and 3 seconds apart. I finish 3rd and only got beat on the line of the loop as I ran a little wide. Im the Red car.

The postions were

1st Tom Roach
2nd Molly Brindle
3rd Matt Latham (me)
4th Graham Blowers
5th Mark Coombs
6th Malcom Shears

11072149_1558027371129114_1262931509_n.j

Edited by MattyV6

• 2 weeks later...

Great day today at South West Indoor RC. Some good racing with the GTB's and managed to get the win :) Car deserves a strip down now, not done anything to it since i bought it!

Edited by RCMonkee
  • Like 1

Great day today at South West Indoor RC. Some good racing with the GTB's and managed to get the win :) Car deserves a strip down now, not done anything to it since i bought it!

A very well deserved win! :)

11136730_369153753277453_118404845551124

• Like 1

I'm thinking about starting micro racing but I can't make my mind up on what car to get. ATM its between the emb1 and the GTB, does anyone have both of these cars? If so which one would did you prefer and why?

Also what's part support like for this car?

Alex

I'm thinking about starting micro racing but I can't make my mind up on what car to get. ATM its between the emb1 and the GTB, does anyone have both of these cars? If so which one would did you prefer and why?

Alex

I do, not ran the GTB side by side on the same track yet though (myself) as parts support seems to be $%^&.  Dubberz out races my emb with his gtb though everytime - driver skill mostly I think, though the GTB does seem much more nimble than my emb.

Belt drive vs dogbone..

The carisma is defintely more of a 'racer' , mainly due to the tuning parts available.  Imo rate your driving skill level.  The emb lends itself to the lesser driver better imo.

Note that the gtb will cost more (if of concern).  My emb is out driving 8.5t 1:10's at my local.  The carisma I have been driving can simply be 'tuned' further which is great, but imo not for the coin even if I am planning on buying one :xd: .  The emb is silky when tuned though and stock setup is not fantastic from my limited experience.

As you know, driver is most and car is that bit extra.

Any chance of a drive before buy for Alex?

• Like 1

Belt drive vs dogbone..

The carisma is defintely more of a 'racer' , mainly due to the tuning parts available.  Imo rate your driving skill level.  The emb lends itself to the lesser driver better imo.

Note that the gtb will cost more (if of concern).  My emb is out driving 8.5t 1:10's at my local.  The carisma I have been driving can simply be 'tuned' further which is great, but imo not for the coin even if I am planning on buying one :xd: .  The emb is silky when tuned though and stock setup is not fantastic from my limited experience.

As you know, driver is most and car is that bit extra.

Any chance of a drive before buy for Alex?

I think I'll go for the emb1 as if I don't like micro racing I could turn I into a monster truck :)

Thanks for the help and suggestion.

Fyi racing will be a while off as the club is about a 45min drive away and I haven't passed yet so I'd have to get a lift.

My GTB is bog standard apart from the front driveshafts and the rally block tyres. Its been great out the box. Would suggest the carbon shock tower upgrade tho if getting a GTB.

• Like 1

Alex

I went from a Losi mini 8 (essentially the same as an EMB) to a Carisma GTB and the difference was night and day for me. The GTB's are a better car to drive, smoother, better handling and easier to work on. A gtb is belt driven and it has a GRP chassis that gives it more flax over the rigid ali losi and EMB's, a gtb is soooooooooo much smoother in the way it puts the power onto the track.

You only have to look at the Micro Nationals, its dominated by Carisma GTB's with the Exception of Andy Jones who runs a an EMB. His EMB was the only EMB that was a title contender though.

The EMB is a very good car but personally i wouldn't buy one if you want to race at a competitive micro level every week, your be out-raced by gtb's.

Everyone at our club races a gtb too.

My GTB is bog standard apart from the front driveshafts and the rally block tyres. Its been great out the box. Would suggest the carbon shock tower upgrade tho if getting a GTB.

I have pretty much every upgrade under the sun for the GTB and you beat me / keep up every week and like you say yours is pretty much standard! We have some very close racing!

For anyone who doesnt know our real names thats RCMonkee in 1st and me in 2nd. All 4 in that heat were gtb's.

10408028_360115484181280_336122770973481

Again all gtb's in this heat too

11136730_369153753277453_118404845551124

That's my plan anyways :thumbsup:   just waiting on local supplier.

but please you cant compare a mini8 to the emb they are worlds apart.  Though they share an alu chassis my emb will hopefully soon be running the rtr plastic one.

You fellas should come over and race my ways then we can beat each other up  :sweatdrop:

Most of the parts can be found pretty easy, there was a shortage of parts a few months ago when the Micro Nationals were on but that's finished now.

Wheelspin models holds pretty much every Carisma GTB part in stock.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/s/?q=carisma+gtb&x=0&y=0

Tbh the only thing that we all go through at our club is the hubs and rear belts. Apart from that they are extremely though! Upgrade parts that are essential are the CVD's for the front and the Ali motor mount with a fan connected :)

Most run the upgraded Carbon 'Thumbs Design' front and rear towers, although these aren't essential, just depends if you crash a lot lol.

Most of the companies work like this these days, i've not found anyone who holds all the Carisma spares 100% in stock. DMS Racing are pretty good, they hold a few parts in stock.

Wheelspin are pretty quick though, if i order from their shadow stock on a Monday its with me by Thursday. Not too shabby.