• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Moving to the dark side - Hot bodies Lightning Stadium Pro conversion

Hey guys,

My poor old hot bodies LSP has been catching my eye whilst in the garage recently, sat there covered in dust unused for well over a year now. This is mainly because i find myself put off from using it because of all the hardship that comes with nitro such a tuning, fuel, noise, neighbors ect.. so I thought why not set myself a project of converting the beast to a brushless set-up! But not having any previous experience with leccy models I may need some advice.

I'm guessing it's not as simple at bolting a motor, esc and lipos on and away I go? Also looking for some good parts suggestions for the project to give it some good power :) I probably wont set myself a budget until I find out exactly what I need so I will get back to you on that one.

Here she is...

2m32utv.jpg

Thanks

Thought my eyes had gone funny then looking at your worktop!

Should make a great truck once it's done and really it's not that hard.

Will the hpi truggy parts bolt straight on?

That's good to hear! I'm hoping I can get away with using some of the parts from the hpi trophy flux. I ordered the trophy motor mount last night but I'm not sure if the motor I want will fit it. Would I get away with a 80+ mm motor on that mount?

Stripped it all down last night and chopped off the throttle/brake part of the servo mount and gave it a bit of a wipe down. Just got to wait for the Trophy motor mount to arrive to see if that fits and then hopefully start ordering some more interesting parts! Still need some help deciding though so any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Excuse the Iphone picture...

6734g5.jpg

What sort of system really depends on what your going to do with it and what your budget is!

If your planning on racing it then I reckon a 1800-2000kv motor and 4s batterys is plenty.

If your bashing then 1800-2200kv motors and 4-6s batterys depending on how crazy you want it to be.

At the lower end of the market the ezrun systems offer fantastic value for money. With a fatter wallet

you could look at castle or tekin systems.

I race at Swindon which can't be far from you. If you fancy having a look theres a race on this sunday

and there will be 6-8 electric racers there who will be happy to give you more advice!

I've got friends how use both the leopard motors and the xerun systems and they are both great choices.

If it was my truck this is the combo I'd get tho

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/product-568-SUPER+PREMIUN+1%EF%BC%9A8+RC+OFF+ROAD+SENSOR+COMB+INCL.+TS-X812L+MOTOR+%26+HOBBYWING+XERUN+BRUSHLESS+150A+ESC+%26+3+IN+1+LCD+BOX%28FREE+SHIPPING%29.html

I'd get the 2150 kv set up.Again it's from asia but I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks for items posted from china or hong kong.Plus I've never had to pay any import charges as they mark the price down for you!

I reckon 5s batterys would be plenty fast enough but you could try 6s if you wanted to!

Okay thanks :) looking at some of the xerun combos on eBay and they seem to be a bit cheaper with the hobbywing motors, would I be alright with that or have you picked the ten shock for a reason? And I'm not really sure what the advantages and disadvantages are over 4 or 5s? I guess it would just come down to price really and if my turnigy acucell charger can charge them (its rated up to 6s if I remember)

funshobby,xerun 150a and a tenshock motor of your choice,delivered by dhl and i never had custom charges with funshobby{they mark the price down},if your bashing go for the 2200kv ,just check the voltage to see if there take 5s,6s if that the way you want to go,and theres a 2450kv,which i think will take 5 s,and 50kv wont make any noticeable difference

While your deciding on what esc/motor to go for you should also have a look into lipos and a charger

I've got an Xerun 150a esc in both my hyper ST and hyper 7, i've also got leopard motors for them too - I like them :)

Get some nice heavy diff oil for the centre diff to - i've got 50k in the hyper's diffs.

I dont know if a losi battery tray would fit in your truggy, but that might be worth looking into as well. It can fit bigger lipos in it with no probs and has a mount for the esc too :)

Got the center diff all bolted back on with the motor mount, and the losi tray part fitted, wont be fitting it fully until the trophy flux side skirts arrive (which i'm hoping will be fairly straight forward to fit.

2s0bomg.jpg

Also got the radio box from the trophy flux on the way too. Then next Tuesday I shall be ordering the Xerun 150 esc and tenshock 2200kv motor combo!

Not long now hopefully!

Thanks! Yeah seems like it will do the job nicely. Bought it based on recommendations from yourself and others on here without really knowing if it would fit but it's looking like it will be fairly straightforward after drilling a few holes.

So all being well I should be ordering this on tuesday... http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/product-569-ADVANCED+1%3A8+RC+OFF+ROAD+TRUGGY++COMBO+INCL.+TENSHOCK+X802L+V2+%26HOBBYWING+XERUN+BRUSHLESS+150A+%26+3+IN+1+LCD+BOX+%28FREE+SHIPPING%29.html Will be going for the 2200kv version

But could someone confirm that the motor can take 5/6s? And also is this the best I could get for that sort of money do you think? 

Thanks

Edited by nitroracerdan

Side skirts and radio box arrived yesterday.

35jl1co.jpg

b9952.jpg

Though i'm having second thoughts about the radio box. I think my steering servo is slightly bigger than the standard one on the flux and getting the steering linkage set up properly may turn out to be a bit of a pain.

The other option I guess is to chop off the servo part of the radio box and stick the box to the top of the old servo mount  :xd:

Got some more interesting goodies in the post today!

2i74c2a.jpg

More than impressed with the service from funshobby and DHL considering it was only dispatched yesterday!

Sorry about the sideways picture  :xd:

Edited by nitroracerdan

Probably time to start thinking about batteries, decided on 5s for some reason, but don't really have a clue on what to look for with lipos.

Would something like this do the job? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=32196

Probably time to start thinking about batteries, decided on 5s for some reason, but don't really have a clue on what to look for with lipos.

Would something like this do the job? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=32196

I've got the 30c - 40c one of those, i'll be getting the one you linked to when funds allow :)

That lipo you linked will be great bud :) the better spec you can afford the better really, have a look at the gens ace lipos from giant shark, these seem to be getting better reviews at the moment :)

The conversion looks ace, your moving to the bright side bud not the dark :lol:

Thanks guys :) got a few for bits to spend money on before I order but good to know what I need!

Got some 5.5mm bullet connectors on the way to replace the smaller bullets and cheap deans type connectors on the esc, so will have to attempt some soldering!

i did this with my lightning 2pro, basically bought the chassis and motor mount battery tray and reciever box from trophy flux everything else was the same... like identical.... but instead of standard trophy flux motor got tork flux 2200kv and flux blur run it on 6s lipo 11.1v goes like a stabbed rat... first few runs couldnt full throttle just flipped... decreased wing thicker shock oil job done :)

Edited by mally110