• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just started.

Demonchu

Good to see you're having a bit of fun with it now.

When ever i'm tuning/re tuning i like to leave the engines on the slightly richer side of things. Like when it bogs down from being too lean i back the hsn up 1/4 - 3/8 turn. The engine's still very near it's peak tune so performance will still be very good, but with the added peace of mind you're not going to blow plugs and damage your engine.

Good to see you're having a bit of fun with it now.

When ever i'm tuning/re tuning i like to leave the engines on the slightly richer side of things. Like when it bogs down from being too lean i back the hsn up 1/4 - 3/8 turn. The engine's still very near it's peak tune so performance will still be very good, but with the added peace of mind you're not going to blow plugs and damage your engine.

I do the same :)

Better to be on the richer side of things

Ok, just been out and richened the HSN about 3/8th of a turn.

It starts off fast with a good trail of smoke and goes all the way to full speed without bogging down and with a very good trail of smoke.

Is it normal for the back tyre, pull start and everything else on the exhaust side to be covered in fuel/oil? Obviously not had the shell on yet as im still tuning.

Also i suppose i should count myself lucky BUT i haven't blown ONE glow plug yet, not even on the breaking in period. I've had 11 tanks of nitro through it since buying.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Worried I'm to lean or rich and gonna knacker the engine!!

Also done the pinch test for the LSN and the engine cuts out after 3 seconds which i heard is good. 

Perfectly normal for oil to get on the rear tyre, it won't get on the pull start once the shell is on as the air flow will change.

If you look at mine (pics in show us your buggy thread in the buggy section, (orange shell, black wings ant tyres)) you'll see i've got an exhaust deflector on the exhaust tip, pointed it so the long non ribbed section is pointing forwards, then made a slash cut with scissors to extend the tip, no more oil over my rear tyre now :D:

Perfectly normal for oil to get on the rear tyre, it won't get on the pull start once the shell is on as the air flow will change.

If you look at mine (pics in show us your buggy thread in the buggy section, (orange shell, black wings ant tyres)) you'll see i've got an exhaust deflector on the exhaust tip, pointed it so the long non ribbed section is pointing forwards, then made a slash cut with scissors to extend the tip, no more oil over my rear tyre now :D:

Cheers pistonhead, thanks for that. What about the glow plug and LSN situation.

Are you running optifuel rtr or race? By the sound of you not blowing a plug yet you may well be on a good tune.

if you have any optifuel race blend of the same %age then run a few tanks through to check the smoke level. It will be noticeably less smoke as there's less oil, but as long as there's a good stream then you'll be golden meht.

Running optifuel rtr 25% at the moment. Had a previous thread about the fuel, they sent me the wrong one at first so, using this at the moment and got the optifuel race for when this is all gone.

Ok, just been out and richened the HSN about 3/8th of a turn.

It starts off fast with a good trail of smoke and goes all the way to full speed without bogging down and with a very good trail of smoke.

Is it normal for the back tyre, pull start and everything else on the exhaust side to be covered in fuel/oil? Obviously not had the shell on yet as im still tuning.

Also i suppose i should count myself lucky BUT i haven't blown ONE glow plug yet, not even on the breaking in period. I've had 11 tanks of nitro through it since buying.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Worried I'm to lean or rich and gonna knacker the engine!!

Also done the pinch test for the LSN and the engine cuts out after 3 seconds which i heard is good. 

If it is performing well (acceleration/top end) then you are neither (way) too rich/lean on either needle to cause problems..good work.

You can try leaning the HSN for topend performance after warming it up...you will know when you have gone too far.

If you have an oily fuel or it is rich then you will see excess oil deposits on the car.....but there will always be oil coming out of the exhaust...hard to quantify how much is too much. :)

On the glow plug subject- It is not a rule that a glow plug must blow. If the plug coil is not distorted or discoloured then carry on.

Edited by Anthoop

optifuel is a very good fuel, using RTR 20% myself initially then will move up to race 25% if my local shop stocks it, if not ill move on to VP racing 

its a very forgiving fuel i have found and looks after your engine nicely. 

Cheers anthoop, tried leaning the HSN by 2/8 th but it started to bog down at top speed so turned it back again and order was restored  :thumbsup: .

Just trying to get a video up at the moment so you can see and hear for yourselfs, but having a lot of trouble uploading. Dam this laptop!!