• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

Nice collection Bridge! How are you liking the ebay wheel sets? Have you put any abuse through them yet?

Thanks Mgozzz, Honestly I have not ran the tires yet. The snow is finally melting so I can take them for a rip.

Bought some $12.50 diffs and a $7.50 screw set from Dollar Hobbyz. :) even with shipping and exchange you can't beat the price.

Now I just need to order some more bearings for the steering rack and wheels.

Awesome! Yeah that is a great deal even if you are just keeping them for spares.

I'm patiently waiting for the snow to melt here too. I have awhile to go though as there is still 2-3feet on the ground! We lost a good 11 inches over the last week though so I'm starting to get spring fever! Days are in slowly creeping into the 40s! (sorry about all my non metric & non Celsius rambling!)

Anyway, I hope those tires do the car some justice. At the price even if they are just fair I think they are worth it but I haven't even put glue to mine yet so i don't know for sure. 

Awesome! Yeah that is a great deal even if you are just keeping them for spares.

I'm patiently waiting for the snow to melt here too. I have awhile to go though as there is still 2-3feet on the ground! We lost a good 11 inches over the last week though so I'm starting to get spring fever! Days are in slowly creeping into the 40s! (sorry about all my non metric & non Celsius rambling!)

Anyway, I hope those tires do the car some justice. At the price even if they are just fair I think they are worth it but I haven't even put glue to mine yet so i don't know for sure. 

Weve been using the cheap chinese copy rally wheels and tires off Ebay and tbh there doing quite well. Good grip, they do let the car slide but without the horrible traction rolls of the HPI tyres. On dry tarmac/pavement they wear out quite quick, maybe 8 -12 lipo batteries through, but damp/wet or loose surface running and they last alot longer. 

Weve been using the cheap chinese copy rally wheels and tires off Ebay and tbh there doing quite well. Good grip, they do let the car slide but without the horrible traction rolls of the HPI tyres. On dry tarmac/pavement they wear out quite quick, maybe 8 -12 lipo batteries through, but damp/wet or loose surface running and they last alot longer. 

That actually doesn't sound bad at all! On 3s I would burn through stock HPI tires in about 3-4 runs. Plus sliding is better than rolling in my book! It make for better gymkhana style driving to me. :nod:

Edited by Mgozzz

Mgozzz, 

Have you seen this eBay ad?

Rally Tire And Chrome Rims Super Nitro RS4...Set Of 4

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151614796660?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Shipping to Canada makes it a tad expensive.  Thought I would share.  

Yeah I saw those. The chrome was a little too blingy for me though ;-)

My WR8 Redux body came in the other day. It is in pretty good shape, not the best but considering it will be on a runner and not a shelf car that is fine with me.

Check it out-

BdQZfJBl.jpg

Noticed it has the infamous "WR8 Traction Roll Rash" 8-p

A0TbHE7l.jpg

The front look pretty good-

kn9UDKvl.jpg

The other side with a little more "WR8 Traction Roll Rash"-

9cIcOxdl.jpg

And check out that ass ;-)

UsP888ll.jpg

And the wheels that came with the body-

iB3AQIZl.jpg

Overall I'd say the rubber has lots of life left in it-

uYCYxfKl.jpg

Lastly... I pretty much have TRACTION for days, and days ;-)

nkWP5eyl.jpg

I'll admit not all of the wheels and tires are for the WR8. The 3 sets of belted slicks in the center, most of the assorted mesh rims (especially the hard to find Gold set!!) and the 2 sets of non belted slicks (in the zip lock bag to the left) will primarily be used on my HPI Super RS4. But I'll probably strap on set now and then when I try to get some speed runs going.

As for the car itself, it's still sitting in a box fully unassembled. I'm getting myself psyched up to get put back together though. Spring is coming! What do you guys think? Should I get the bad larry built or what?

A little work in the garage on my AD.

GPM CVD's and turnbuckles installed. They look good, time will tell if they survive some driving. The turnbuckles were stiff, they requires some lube and some working in.

IMG_20150315_160338_zps94x9noxo.jpg

IMG_20150315_160345_zpsd47fivf7.jpg

IMG_20150315_160357_zpsrgujcvnl.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Bridge, what do you think about those GPM eyelets/ rod ends? Good stuff?

Hey Hotshot888, they look pretty good. They are 3.5 mm thick at the threads and the balls are large.

I am not sure what the 4mm silver spacer was supposed to be used for but I used it on the rear shock mount end to offset the turnbuckle to keep it in line like the stock offset. I used some 2mm spacers I had on the other side.

Time will tell if the are durable.

after some tinkering in the last few days I've come to notice that there's small rubber o rings in some of the diff cups, but not all of them? is there a 'rule of thumb' as to which have them and which don't?

Also I've noticed the silver wheel spacers face Flat side out on one side of the car and dome side out on the other, which is the right way round please?

Mgozz, I've not read quite up to date in this thread yet still a few months to go, but I'm curious, have you finished your build using your chassis that you took the 'kick' out of and needed a longer shaft?

Also I've noticed the silver wheel spacers face Flat side out on one side of the car and dome side out on the other, which is the right way round please?

Dome towards the bearing.

after some tinkering in the last few days I've come to notice that there's small rubber o rings in some of the diff cups, but not all of them? is there a 'rule of thumb' as to which have them and which don't?

Mgozz, I've not read quite up to date in this thread yet still a few months to go, but I'm curious, have you finished your build using your chassis that you took the 'kick' out of and needed a longer shaft?

Well I never really finished it but I ran it as it was and it handled pretty amazing. I ran the stock front center dog bone with 2 rubber o-rings in each cup keeping it center and I never had an issue with it falling out. I wasn't able to find a longer dog bone but I don't really think it was needed.

I have a bunch of video of it on my youtube channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/mmq48/videos Just look for the "On Road WR8".

I've had a watch of most of the videos that've been put up in this thread and I've got to say love the way you've mounted the camera with no shell and can see the suspension working away. That things fast! I can't wait to get mine complete and running...I bought it as a pile of bits off a friend who lost interest after the motor blew, now all I need is money, motor/pinion, wheels/tyres, and a shell as none of these were present. I have noticed some cheep (i think AD) shells on fleabay at

Thanks Stevo! Yeah it is pretty darned quick. I ran it with a 21 (or 20?) tooth pinion when the weather cooled down last fall and it was an absolute rocket. I love the way it just stuck to the ground too... I still have the zero kick chassis so I may rebuild the car as it was but I would need to figure out the body mounting, bumper and all that.

I'm pretty sure I have everything I need for mine but I haven't looked at it in awhile so I'm not sure. I guess I'll figure it out when I start building it. lol

Give it time and get everything together, it'll be worth it ;-)